Flying for free

Exadios

FLYING FOR FREE???... or just come on down to sherlock on a nice morning and ill take you up?? wont cost you anything.!! you'd be flying for free:thumb up: ....but me on the other hand...109_groan.gif.66f71fc85b2fabe1695703d67c904c24.gif

Thanks Exadios, I found that most interesting.

I was interested in the RASP weather software; I became aware of this software through a friend of mine who flys gliders from Beverley.

I have started to use the web based service just to get a feel for what conditions will be like where I fly my Thruster, since it is hangared 3.5 hours away.

The program has been most useful although I'm still learning how to interpret the charts.

Cheers,

Pud

One day, some day, Flyerme, I'll rock up on your door step and put you to the test. Won't exactly be free for me either as I'll use a tank full of gas to do the trip. lol.

• Like 1

One day, some day, Flyerme, I'll rock up on your door step and put you to the test. Won't exactly be free for me either as I'll use a tank full of gas to do the trip. lol.

anytime:cheers:

Thanks Exadios, I found that most interesting.I was interested in the RASP weather software; I became aware of this software through a friend of mine who flys gliders from Beverley.

I have started to use the web based service just to get a feel for what conditions will be like where I fly my Thruster, since it is hangared 3.5 hours away.

The program has been most useful although I'm still learning how to interpret the charts.

Cheers,

Pud

Yes, the wind and cloud data are esp. useful for power pilots.

Deskpilot, I popped in there on Sunday with my wife, nice country strip, not sure you want to take the Jab in there though. Maybe if it was a little longer and flatter. But great for us Drifter, Skyfox and alike.

Actually Patrick, I was referring to driving over as I've let my certificate laps this year. I did fly there once but decided not to land as I couldn't get my approach speed right on a gusty day. I know that a Jabby has made it in though.

• Agree 1

Actually Patrick, I was referring to driving over as I've let my certificate laps this year. I did fly there once but decided not to land as I couldn't get my approach speed right on a gusty day. I know that a Jabby has made it in though.

YEH was a rough old day when you flew over Desky. And yes Helmut from brooklands (wellinton) in his fuel injected Jaby lands here frequently but he has Stated (on another thread ) you MUST have your short field landings down pat before attempting...

Deskpilot I assumened you ment drive...lol any time mate and we will go for a fly...

P.S sorry for thread drift..well slightly..

Flying with NO fuel cost ? Sure, but the aircraft today are very expensive and exotic. Nev

True, Nev. High tech materials and superb finish required for good soaring performance. I migrated from sailplanes after RAAus facilitated affordable flying. Our little powered planes are mobs cheaper than sailplanes. Power + low tech airframe = flying fun.

• Like 1

Flying with NO fuel cost ? Sure, but the aircraft today are very expensive and exotic. Nev

TRUE: I read some figures a year ago (USA-based so may be different Down Under) which stated that the depreciation expenses of gliders -on average- were around double that of powered light planes. This extra expense probably negates the fuel costs.

• Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...

Not necessarily so. It is possible to by a perfectly good glider for $10000 - $15000 - for instance an Astir CS.

That's a fair discount from the $300K for a real good one. Where is it made and how do I know it won't clap it's wings above my head?. ( 10-15K )You pay that for a good pushbike. Nev

That's a fair discount from the $300K for a real good one. Where is it made and how do I know it won't clap it's wings above my head?. ( 10-15K )You pay that for a good pushbike. Nev

I don't know what you had in mind for $300K. An LS8 or ASW24 would be about $100K. Astirs were made in Germany. They use that same methodology as a $300K glider to stop overhead wing clap.

"all the energy for that we stole from the atmosphere"

I knew the minute I saw the long hair, scruffy beard and pony tails that I was looking at oxygen thieves! 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif