Pilot incapacitation?

As part of my 3rd year dissertation for University I have made a survey to assess general aviation pilot incapacitation by means of survey. I would be eternally grateful if you could fill in the survey (it's completely anonymous). The link is: https://www.survey.bris.ac.uk/nottingham/pilot_incapacitation

Thank you, even if you didn't fill in the survey. I hope I'm not spamming and I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section of the site.

Welcome to the forum but I don't think you're going to get too many folks answering your survey if we have to create a new 'Outlook account' - whatever that is. Why don't you supply a direct link to the survey, or at least provide a password to the account?

• Agree 1

Done. If you haven't already done so, talk to your supervisor about putting in an amendment to your ethics application to provide general feedback regarding results in the places that you have listed the survey. A little feedback keeps your participants happy and makes them far more likely to participate in research next time. Just really general information so that it won't harm any chances you have of publication. Best of luck with it!

• Agree 1

Guest Maj Millard

As a sidenote the US FAA spent a shixload of money working out if heartattacks caused many crashes or fatalities in aircraft.

The data showed that compared to the overall picture, and all other known causes, heartattacks only accounted for less than 1% amoungst pilots. No further study was warranted..............................................Maj...019_victory.gif.9945f53ce9c13eedd961005fe1daf6d2.gif

Thank you everyone who's done the survey so far! I've talked with my supervisor and we're sorting everything out so I can give you all feedback upon completion of the survey. 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

• Like 1

Guest Pontius Pilot

All done. I was incapacitated a few hours ago but only in the sim, so that doesn't really count 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

Thanks to everyone who's completed the survey! I have enough now as I've started doing my Results section now. Please do not do it if you haven't yet as it will be a waste of time unfortunately!!

P.S. The pilot who answered "Extreme Anxiety - the level of capacitation was limited to....." in response to one of the questions, it was asking for an age which you forgot to provide so if you could provide an age I would be most grateful!

Thanks again everyone! 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

The SPSS Survival Guide by Julie Pallant has an interesting section on missing data, including several ways to estimate it. As long as it is less than 5 percent of cases and you are justified (small sample size), you will get away with it. Caution is advised with missing data but sometimes the rest of it is too good to leave out.