Pommy Pilot

Hi,

Newly arrived pilot pom located in WA, I'm eager to get flying!

I am currently converting licence with WARAC (just waiting for a licence number) and I don't know many flying people.

I am a girlie pilot from Lincolnshire in the UK. Trained at small and friendly airfield, Wickenby, and I had amazing pilot friends who regularly called me up and aked if I fancied a trip to other airfields to sample the good food ( a nice decent fry up was all we were hunting for). I would love to be able to explore Aus in the same fashion! :-D

Rated on 152 and 172's, would love to be able to join a flying group to help with the cost of flying.

Look forward to hearing from you all 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif 017_happy_dance.gif.8a199466e9bd67cc25ecc8b442db76ba.gif

• Like 2

Hi Chezza, welcome to the forum, girlies and pommies happily accepted here g-day-mate.gif.3da06e856aa9a1d0f20d7a499992db21.gif

I'd suggest you join SLACWA - the super light aircraft club of WA, despite the name the members have a wide range of aircraft types and are known for being very friendly, as is everyone in WA, in my experience.

I'm sure there are other great clubs near to you too but I only know that one, WA folks'll tell you more.

In the meantime we need to see lots of your pics from flying in sunny England please 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif, you need to use the 'Upload a File' button at bottom right of the screen.

Cheers,

Alan

Hello Chezza and 098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif.

I own and fly a wire braced Drifter with a Rotax 503 DCDI engine. I fly off my own property here at Deeral, 45klm south of Cairns, Queensland.

Cheers,

Frank.

Guest Maj Millard

Gday Chezza, welcome to the forum. I also fly in sunny North Queensland not too far south of Farri above. To the South we have 'Heathrow' a private field owned by Julie and Ian Wells who are also from your part of the world. They flew their Savannah 'Cab Sav' right around Australia last year, we tolerate them !......By all means look us up if you are ever over this way.....Cheers ....Maj...(Ross Millard).014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

Hi,Newly arrived pilot pom located in WA, I'm eager to get flying!

I am currently converting licence with WARAC (just waiting for a licence number) and I don't know many flying people.

I am a girlie pilot from Lincolnshire in the UK. Trained at small and friendly airfield, Wickenby, and I had amazing pilot friends who regularly called me up and aked if I fancied a trip to other airfields to sample the good food ( a nice decent fry up was all we were hunting for). I would love to be able to explore Aus in the same fashion! :-D

Rated on 152 and 172's, would love to be able to join a flying group to help with the cost of flying.

Look forward to hearing from you all 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif 017_happy_dance.gif.8a199466e9bd67cc25ecc8b442db76ba.gif

Hi Chezza,

Welcome from a fellow Pom - I come from Leigh-on-sea, and moved out here to Melbourne about 15 years ago.

I have a mate lives near Horncastle in Lincs, and last year when I visited we went to East Kirkby to see that Lancaster they have, Newark Air Museum, and the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight base. Lincoln is great for vintage aviation fans like me!

Hope you get flying soon!

Cheers

Neil

very friendly, as is everyone in WA, in my experience.

That's probably 'cause there isn't many there! 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Welcome Chezza, great to see another smiling face.

Initially we had a lot of poms that didn't want to come . Then some came to mine the gold, then later we gave some a trip for ten quid. (they made the decision and some went back and then came out again). We still speak English ( sort of)

Welcome Chezza. Once you solo in a glider it would be easy with anything else. Nev

Aw thanks guys !! I cannot wait until this Thursday as I have my first flight booked :-) .... Will definitely get kitted out for a nice cross country holiday (make take me a while with an island this size!) any hot tips on VFR navigation seeing as there is eeeer nowt really to navigate by out there in bush !

Ah Niel, yeah I have family in Horncastle :-D ...

004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

A Big 098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif Chessa, from another pommy git on here , thats me:oh yeah:

So good to have you here. you've arrived at a fantastic site., but I warn you that there is a lot leg-pullin on here, but i'm sure you can handle that, like i've had to.

Let us know how your first flight went ( we're not really all inverted) if thats what you thought before you arrived.

Kind Regards

Planey

G'Day Chezza, welcome.

Definitely come up and see us at Bindoon, about an hour's drive north of Perth on the Great Northern Highway. That's where the Super Light Aircraft Club of WA (SLACWA) is based and there is a flying school operating Jabs and some other chariots - I have a Foxbat A22LS but there are all different kinds from Gyros to powered gliders and some experimental GA types etc. The club and school operate weekends/Pub hols only (or after hours in summer) due to being within the RAAF Pearce training zone. The airfield is on Dewars Pool Rd. and is called "Bindoon Abandoned" but it's only abandoned by the RAAF (twas a WWII strip). If you do pop up it's a good idea to contact someone in SLACWA first (http://slacwa.org.au/wp/)

Cheers,

BF

P.S. about your other query on XC navigation in OZ. Two words. 1. GPS 2. Silos. Those big white things you can see for miles. Nearly all of them near a railway line. Trouble is a lot of them look the same. Don't trust the lakes marked on the WAC chart or appearing on Google Earth. Most are ephemeral so they change shape and colour which can be jolly confusing. Finally, in Europe winter is not the time for flying but it's the best time here in WA...gorgeous calm clear days cf. flying in a flipping washing machine between about Nov and March. Enjoy !!

IFR seems to be the easy way to navigate. No, not the usual IFR (Instrument Flight Rules), but the easier one:

I Follow Roads

I Follow Railwaylines

I Follow Rivers

Good luck with the flying.006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

• Agree 1

IFR seems to be the easy way to navigate. No, not the usual IFR (Instrument Flight Rules), but the easier one:I Follow Roads

I Follow Railwaylines

I Follow Rivers

Good luck with the flying.006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Welcome Chezza,

I'm a POM still in Pommyland, although I HAVE served some lovely years flying in "OZ" I KNOW you'll enjoy it.

I like the "I follow Railways bit too Joey,. . .I once followed one somewhere in France,. . . .but TWO tracks came out of the hillside, going in different directions. . . and I followed the wrong one ( Naturally. . .) or is it Naturellement ? dunno. If you have to get lost though, France is a nice place to do it as they all seem to LOVE things that fly ( including things with Pommie drivers ) Probably just as good in W.A., but I didn't do much over there, was based first in Melbourne, then Brisbane. . .

Phil

• 1 month later...

Hi Chezza,

Welcome.

I'm even newer on here than you 002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

Been in Oz from UK about 5 and half years now.

With 4 & half yrs in NSW.

Now after just over a yr travelling on the road as a Grey Nomad.

Stopped in Murray Bridge for 5 weeks to get my Pilot Cert .... Yippee got that last Thursday. 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Flying is good here, so it looks like am here to stay :-)

But I came from Lincolnshire too. Near to Wickenby.... At Cherry Willingham.

Lived there for about 30 yrs. Small world aye ?

Welcome chris498, you did well getting your certificate in 5 wks. Congratulations!

Chezza may have to rock up at your place so you can go flying together, and discuss the culinary merits of Bangers & Mash, while looking out for Roman Walls and Norman Churches as way-points, because they they may not show up on the GPS.

Good luck to you both.

Alan (The original Womble)

Ah yes my best pilot friend lives in Cherry !! What a small world .... Have you heard of Daryl Kitchen ? He is still a local to Wickenby 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Noted on IFR guys !! .... I was so optimistic when writing this first post but after contracting the awful Aussie cold I have been grounded for over a month .... Managed to FINALLY get my first night flight a couple of weeks ago 016_ecstatic.gif.156a811a440b493b0c2bea54e43be5cc.gif

I have acquired the relevant charts so all I need now is a license .... Fingers crossed no more god awful colds !045_beg.gif.b05ea876053438dae8f282faacd973d1.gif

Bindoon plotted and ready to visit !! .... I will give a call before coming up ...

Thanks guys 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif107_score_010.gif.2fa64cd6c3a0f3d769ce8a3c21d3ff90.gif

Hi Chezza,

Try getting in touch with the Australian Women Pilots' Association.

They have a WA chapter - here's their website & contacts http://www.awpa.org.au/contact-us

They do a lot of networking, have social and flying get togethers, tours of air traffic control, competitions etc.

AWPA have a range of scholarships, awards, trophies & funding open to members, non-members & even 097_peep_wall.gif.dcfd1acb5887de1394272f1b8f0811df.gif men!

Unfortunately I am in central Qld - a bit far to share the C152. Enjoy your flying.

Sue