Registrations Snow Job !!!

John G

If one looks at the members web site regarding aircraft registrations it says more about what is being hidden from us, rather than the true state of affairs.

I have a few members renting space in my hangar and in two cases they have had aircraft unregistered for weeks on end, and in one case two months! They have asked me a few questions that I can't answer for them.

1. I have paid my money two months ago and I still don't have my Rego, when it comes will it be dated the day it was due or when it was finally processed?

2. I have paid my insurance but unable to use my aircraft due to the incompetence of RA-Aus, can I sue them for my additional costs?

I do not have the expertise to answer their questions so would appreciate those that have to provide some answers to their questions.

Looking at the data provided on the RA-Aus members web site it is entirely meaningless and a total waste of staff time as it does not mention how many aircraft are currently unregistered.

Registration Update 21/6/2013

June 25, 2013 | opsassist

Number of new aircraft registrations processed since November 15th(when CASA reinstated our renewal approval)

Number of aircraft registration renewals processed since November 15th(when CASA reinstated our renewal approval)

Number of aircraft registration renewals processed during preceding week(ended 21/06/2013)

• Agree 1

The other missing bit of information is the number of renewals received....

I note from the latest information that they are now processing 50/week, so thats something.

It took me about 7 weeks from expiry date 7th April , but when I got the rego through , it started from 29 may , so you get the full 12 months from the time the paperworks through .

So your not paying for time on the ground ,

I wonder if you could postpone your insurance as well ,

Doesn't effect me , carnt get insurance for prototypes until two of the same model have

200 plus hrs each with no issues .

Cheers

Mike

You were lucky if you got your rego dated when they processed it. mine expired on 29 may and it is still 29 may expiry date even though i was about a month without being legally able to fly.

You were lucky if you got your rego dated when they processed it. mine expired on 29 may and it is still 29 may expiry date even though i was about a month without being legally able to fly.

I was the same. Expired 16th March and is still 16th March even though I was grounded for a month until it came through on 21st April.

11 months rego for the price of 12. 034_puzzled.gif.ea6a44583f14fcd2dd8b8f63a724e3de.gif

Guest Andys@coffs

This was discussed on Feb the 9th. Originally RAAus was offsetting the registration but if I recall the consensus was that we were all going to suffer this (I am now) and that the RAAus budget needed the full income.... Despite that its likely that this year we will make a loss as compared to budget

Andy

So by the end of the year there will be a 3 month wait for reregistration. In 3 1/2 years no one will be flying.

Based on 1100 short fall. 1100/3600 = about 30.5% the fleet will be waiting 3.66 months from date of expiry at last months rate.

Raa has less than 3 years left....

Guest Andys@coffs

No.....The one really important point is that CASA are forcing a 100% audit of the accuracy and the processes around determining that across the entire fleet....Once every aircraft has been touched once we understand that the pressure comes off and the focus is then only on proving that the process (rather than the process and data) is accurate.

As I understand it we have significant resources being applied to the job and that the one bottleneck that determines the actual rate of registrations is the CASA final approval per registration event and even that is reducing as they provide delegations to others for that specific check

Andy

I am sure they have sufficient staff in Canberra. A couple of months ago I offered to spend a week (at my expense) in Canberra being gopher, deployed as needed.I wanted to contribute my bit to assist the association.

I have not received a no thanks or acknowledgement to this day.

• Winner 1

Hi Tillmanr, I note your interest at helping in Canberra.

I don't know where you live but get onto the new incoming board members and ask them to pass on your details. The July magazine should have a list of the nominated members

RAA members, Resources have been thrown at the registrations issues. As Andy mentioned after 12 months we as an organisation should be in a much better position. As to volunteers our office is full of staff and it is deemed by the office that they will not speed up the process. I truly believe we as an organisation are heading in the right direction at the moment. As a board we are aware some members are being let down by past events that have now surfaced. I offer you my personal apologies and encourage you to maintain contact as best you can with the RAA office.

Regards,

Jim Tatlock.

• Helpful 1

No.....Once every aircraft has been touched once we understand that the pressure comes off and the focus is then only on proving that the process (rather than the process and data) is accurate.

I agree with Andy that the delay is a one time thing for each aircraft. It took 4 months for the transfer of rego on my aircraft (submitted in October, completed in Feb), but when the rego came due in June it was renewed with a week to spare, presumably because the file had been audited during the transfer and didn't need to be audited again.

Having said that, renewing 50 per week is still well short of the number required to keep up, let alone catch up. At this rate the backlog probably is still growing by about 20 per week. It's now 8 months since this all started and we still don't have a system capable of auditing files at a rate that would see the backlog shrinking rather than still growing. Instead it seems there's still quite some way to go before we're out of the woods - likely well past the anniversary of this debacle unless the work rate picks up very soon to considerably more than 70 per week.

In relation to tillmanr's offer to volunteer, sometimes it doesn't help to throw more resources at a problem and apparently this is one of those times. However the offer of help should have been promptly acknowledged and graciously declined. At a time when the organisation is getting so much bad press, little courtesies like this are even more important to maintain (or rebuild) positive perceptions.

Call me old fashioned, but I like to buy and read magazines. I buy all of the Australian produced Aviation magazines plus every now and again the overseas ones. I like the convenience of being able to pick up & transport a magazine anywhere. Magazines can be stored and it is good to back through old issues occasionally and re read favourite stories. Like Mat has mentioned, magazines are great to read even in the toilet or sitting beside the pool or where ever. IMHO reading a good quality magazine is a lot better than reading it off a Ipad or Lap top.

If Sport Pilot every goes just electronic like Flight safety, I won't be reading it again same as I don't read flight safety anymore.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Seems that we are not alone with audit problems

DOT IG: FAA Aviation Registry Lacks Accuracy, Completeness

AINALERTS » JULY 11, 2013

by PAUL LOWE

July 12, 2013, 2:37 PM

A recently completed audit by the Transportation Department’s inspector general has found that the FAA’s Civil Aviation Registry does not provide all of the information needed for aviation safety and security measures. According to the DOT IG, the FAA lacks the information it needs on the identity of noncitizen aircraft owners and has incomplete information on pilot certifications.

FAA regulations require owners to update or correct the information in their registry records periodically, but the agency does not check these reregistrations against the original records to ensure accuracy and regulatory compliance.

“We found incomplete registrations for about 5,600 aircraft, or 54 percent, owned under trusts for non-U.S. citizens,” the audit report said. “As a result, the FAA has been unable to provide information on these aircraft to foreign authorities upon request when U.S.-registered aircraft are involved in accidents or incidents in foreign lands, as required by the Convention on International Aviation.”

Similarly, the registry lacks complete information on pilot certifications, which makes it difficult for law enforcement officials to use the registry to conduct security screenings required by the Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004, or to detect pilots who provide false information.

TAGS: AVIATIONPROFESSIONAL CERTIFICATIONSTANDARDSFEDERAL AVIATION ADMINISTRATIONTRANSPORT

FILED UNDER:

REGULATIONS AND GOVERNMENT

Share this...Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on email Share on gmail Share on stumbleupon Share on favorites More Sharing Services

Comments

G.BENEKOS

on July 12, 2013 - 2:19pm

REGISTRY INCOMPLETE INFO

According to recent rules all aircraft have been reregistered last year and the new registration is valid for 3 years only so it is not possible that there is still incomplete info.

frank hendricks

on July 12, 2013 - 2:48pm

registration

I contacted the FAA twice online, as per directions in the last couple years, to become current with my AC registration but I never got a response.... Should I Be concerned? When I looked up my reg. on AOPA, it stated "registration info. unknown", and I've had the same N# all along. They don't look any different on the side of my airplane.

pilot jeff

on July 12, 2013 - 4:57pm

frank hendricks

If you don't recall sending the government any money, check the re-registration schedule at http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/aircraft_certification/aircraft... You need to see when your N number expires. The last two groups are coming up. It appears that after December 31 2013 all aircraft should of been re-registered.

Ronald Smith

on July 12, 2013 - 5:04pm

Registration of A/C

It must be diffcult to house so many meatheads in one Federal Agency

Michael DeAngelis

on July 12, 2013 - 6:53pm

All aircraft ?

I have an owner who's aircraft registration expires in November. Her notice says to send it in by July 31 to avoid lapse, so all aircraft are not re-registered yet.