Always ask

Jabiru Phil

ALWAYS ASK, NEVER ASSUME !!

His request approved, the CNN News photographer quickly used a cell phone to call the local airport to charter a flight.

He was told a twin-engine plane would be waiting for him at the airport.

Arriving at the airfield, he spotted a plane warming up outside a hanger.

He jumped in with his bag, slammed the door shut, and shouted, 'Let's go'.

The pilot taxied out, swung the plane into the wind and took off.

Once in the air, the photographer instructed the pilot, 'Fly over the valley and

make low passes so I can take pictures of the fires on the hillsides.'

'Why?' asked the pilot.

'Because I'm a photographer for CNN' , he responded, 'and I need to get some close up shots.'

The pilot was strangely silent for a moment, finally he stammered, 'So, what you're telling me, is . . . You're NOT my flight instructor?'

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

The oldies are the bestest Phil. . . . ! ! !

Fortunately for the passenger, IF the pilot was sitting in an energised Twinnididdle, it would be reasonably safe to assume that he COULD well have learned to aviate in something a lttle less technoriffic, and would therefore have SOME idea of how not to die today.

Anyway, no good dissecting the joke, as if we do, it is less amusing.

Alan Basket ( Casey airfield Berwick) told me a similar one in 1973 about a CFA fire spotter bloke who jumped into a C-150 whilst the instructor had run off to take a quick wee. . . . this was to emphasise the "CHECK FIRST - DON'T ASSUME ANYTHING" philosophy too.

This was following a solo recheck flight the day before, where I had ASSUMED that Alan would have stowed his seatbelt properly before shutting his door. . . , and I failed to check. . . . I called a mayday as I thought that I was being shot at from the ground with some kind of machine gun when in fact it was the seat belt buckle banging on the side of the fuselage. . . . . ( ! )

Phil mate, you have jogged my memory. Way back in the late 60's I was working for a boss that had I think a Bonanza. He used to fly quite frequently. I was taken in by his preflight inspection, like kicking the tires, fuel sampling and checking for birds nests etc.

We were on our way back home at Low level after a stock inspection when the motor gave as I recall a "miss" I glanced over to get some reaction but he just looked straight ahead. A few seconds later it happened again a bit more severely, this time he looked at me and declared "WHAT WAS THAT?" Do you think it is carby ice? I said give it a go. only door was on his side thankfully as I may have bailed out.

Never flew with him again.

So again, never assume somebody is a good pilot, even if they say they are.

Phil mate, you have jogged my memory. Way back in the late 60's I was working for a boss that had I think a Bonanza. He used to fly quite frequently. I was taken in by his preflight inspection, like kicking the tires, fuel sampling and checking for birds nests etc.We were on our way back home at Low level after a stock inspection when the motor gave as I recall a "miss" I glanced over to get some reaction but he just looked straight ahead. A few seconds later it happened again a bit more severely, this time he looked at me and declared "WHAT WAS THAT?" Do you think it is carby ice? I said give it a go. only door was on his side thankfully as I may have bailed out.

Hey Phil,. . . . you're not wrong mate,. . .

I was asked to take a young lad on a birthday flight not long back, and his dad said to me ( honestly ) "Are you a good, SAFE pilot ? ? ? "

I said, " I dunno,. . .ask me after my next reval check flight. . . . . .

• Like 1

Phil mate, you have jogged my memory. Way back in the late 60's I was working for a boss that had I think a Bonanza. He used to fly quite frequently. I was taken in by his preflight inspection, like kicking the tires, fuel sampling and checking for birds nests etc.We were on our way back home at Low level after a stock inspection when the motor gave as I recall a "miss" I glanced over to get some reaction but he just looked straight ahead. A few seconds later it happened again a bit more severely, this time he looked at me and declared "WHAT WAS THAT?" Do you think it is carby ice? I said give it a go. only door was on his side thankfully as I may have bailed out.

I've just had a phone call to the effect that two of my friends had a whoopsie next to a local airfield late yesterday, minor injuries only,. . .but the aeroplane ended up inverted. . . . . will report to see if one or both thought that they were good pilots ! ! ! ! ! !

I've just had a phone call to the effect that two of my friends had a whoopsie next to a local airfield late yesterday, minor injuries only,. . .but the aeroplane ended up inverted. . . . . will report to see if one or both thought that they were good pilots ! ! ! ! ! !

I'd say Phil they are probably both good pilots as in they actually flew the plane all the way to the accident and didn't rely on computers like the Korean 777 auto pilot/throttle attendants did at SFO.

IF the pilot was sitting in an energised Twinnididdle, it would be reasonably safe to assume that he COULD well have learned to aviate in something

Yup, that let the joke down sorry to say.

I'd say Phil they are probably both good pilots as in they actually flew the plane all the way to the accident and didn't rely on computers like the Korean 777 auto pilot/throttle attendants did at SFO.

Turned out that the pilot was NOT known to me, similar aircraft type and colour. . . . . ( Jodel ) Attempted a takeoff from a 650M grass runway at 450 ft amsl with Nil surface wind an OAT of 34C. 65 HP engine, two occupants. Failed to abort takeoff, following ( witnessed ) "Sluggish" accelleration, struck boundary hedge with undercarriage, aircraft forward flipped over a road and struck the ground inverted travelling approx 20 metres upside down and rearwards.

Two occupants, injuries not serious, aircraft completely destroyed. Occupants were both able to exit the wreckage and walk unaided to a nearby house. Both airlifted to hospital as a precautionary measure.

No other comments, as no further info available at this time.

Phil

One more "ALWAYS ASK" story.

. . . . On the same day as the Jodel incident I just recounted. . ., a Gardan Minicab ( 2 seat side by side tailwheel config ) with 2 POB landed at a private strip not far from here. . . the aircraft veered sharply off the runway to the left just after touchdown, entering a bean crop which was approx shoulder height ( dunno anything about beans ) the propeller cut a semicircular channel through the crop for approximately 25 metres, at which point the aircraft tipped up onto it's nose and continued until inverted. Both occupants suffered only minor bruising and were able to exit the aircraft. there was no fire. The aircraft was substantially damaged but is regarded as "Economically Repairable" partly due to the "Cushioning Effect" of the type of crop ( ? )

The grass on the runway had not been cut for a while. . ., and the pilot did not know this because HE NEVER ASKED before attempting a landing. He cited the long grass as a contributory factor in the loss of directional control originally to the RIGHT . . towards a large Oak tree not far off the strip. He said that he over - corrected and veered off the strip on the other side. [ Note : the airstrip mentioned requires prior permission to be obtained by telephone from any prospective visitor ]

Phil

Two occupants, injuries not serious, aircraft completely destroyed. Occupants were both able to exit the wreckage and walk unaided to a nearby house. Both airlifted to hospital as a precautionary measure.

Phil

At least they still got to go flying. 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

• Like 1

ALWAYS ASK, NEVER ASSUME !!His request approved, the CNN News photographer quickly used a cell phone to call the local airport to charter a flight.

He was told a twin-engine plane would be waiting for him at the airport.

Arriving at the airfield, he spotted a plane warming up outside a hanger.

He jumped in with his bag, slammed the door shut, and shouted, 'Let's go'.

The pilot taxied out, swung the plane into the wind and took off.

Once in the air, the photographer instructed the pilot, 'Fly over the valley and

make low passes so I can take pictures of the fires on the hillsides.'

'Why?' asked the pilot.

'Because I'm a photographer for CNN' , he responded, 'and I need to get some close up shots.'

The pilot was strangely silent for a moment, finally he stammered, 'So, what you're telling me, is . . . You're NOT my flight instructor?'

Reminds me of this advert

The aircraft was substantially damaged but is regarded as "Economically Repairable" partly due to the "Cushioning Effect" of the type of crop ( ? )

gleam.gif.61a3085bab2441797a6de7bfc35070cb.gif No doubt, the 'bean counters' at the insurance company deemed it to be so.

• Haha 1