Practice Exams Online

I remember the best bit of advice for doing exams I have ever come across while doing the CAA (old CASA) Flight Rules and Procedures, and I guess could be used in setting exams. The exams themselves were multiple choice/4 choice answers

1/2A = RTFQ (Half the answer = read the "full" question)

The choices were: one obviously wrong, one completely right, and two that could be right if you simply skimmed the question, or only read the first or last half of the question.

You could "guess" your way to a pass in them often.. Eliminate the obvious wrong one first and work through the others. I reckon the right one should be right though. There have been many complaints about wrong "right" answers. Justified too. shouldn't happen. Nev

You could "guess" your way to a pass in them often.. Eliminate the obvious wrong one first and work through the others. I reckon the right one should be right though. There have been many complaints about wrong "right" answers. Justified too. shouldn't happen. Nev

Nev are you saying that about the CASA exams - ie many that have had the wrong answer ?? Thats a big concern given the resources they have available to them..

DrZoos, I had arguments with CASA over incorrect and ambiguous answers in the CPL exams 10 years ago....I suspect that they are possibly no better now. But that is the problem with humans - we never manage to quite get things perfect.

Does your friend give references for incorrect answers, and suggested reading or links? That would also be useful (and a lot more work for him).

• Agree 1

Dz. I was involved in setting them when they were first introduced in NSW Public Secondary Schools as many were. I have also had a bit to do with writing surveys. In some ways they are similar. The problem with some CASA answers is one situation I am referring to, as does Bandit. Nev

One quick note - decide on one type of answer selection method.

Some of the questions have a tick - box suggesting that you can select more than one, others have a radio button (you can only select one of the options).

It gets a bit confusing, as in questions where you have answers like:

A

B

Both of above

None of above

I wasn't sure if it's enough to select the third option or do you have to select all 3.

And there was no explanation that I could see if you can select more than one answer.

• 2 weeks later...

He has 600+ questions now. I suggest you look at some of the later topics from 5 or 6 onwards as he has taken on board lots of suggestions and made these changes . He said he will review earlier sections soon. I went thur all the later ones and liked what i saw. Lots more diagrams etc and lots more comlicated questions and ways of answering. I think it also needs to be considered that the intro to flight and earlier topics are more basic (not less important) but hence some questions are basic.

www.pilotpracticeexams.com

Anyhow i think he has a great resource that the right type of feedback will build upon. He is also approaching RAAUS to see if they are interested in reviewing it and or endorsing it after the necessary editing and changes.

The fact its free and highlights gaps in knowledge is a good thing for students.

DrZoos, I had arguments with CASA over incorrect and ambiguous answers in the CPL exams 10 years ago....I suspect that they are possibly no better now. But that is the problem with humans - we never manage to quite get things perfect.

Can tell you they are not, I've never seen tests as bad. Hard just for the sake of it and not on content on tricky wording and double negatives. I've been around engines my whole life and got 75 in AGK, mind you some of it was stubbornness as I had 2 of the same questions at PPL level and couldn't bring myself to put the "right answer"

Here is one that is in taits book.

What is the limiting factor to increasing power out of a piston aircraft engine by increased RPM?

A. Something ridicules

B. Something worse

C. Cylinder head temperature

D. Propeller tip speed

I think RRA, gets it.s syllabus CASA, then interprits it as RAA thinks fit, how it makes ICEING soley a product of "moisture content" without tempreture

beats me. thats why I gave up, can.t beat the bureaucrats in power

• 3 weeks later...

Here is one in a current exam.

An aircraft is climbing, how can you increase the rate of climb

1. some garbage

2. some other garbage

3. reduce takeoff weight

4. increase speed by 10 knots

Right o geniuses out there whats the answer. Personally i think throwing the passenger out the window after takeoff is not allowed by CASA or RAA. I tried ripping instruments out but the maintenance manager hit the roof. I threw out all the crap in the back luggage area and it made no difference. I tried dumping fuel, but we had no fuel dump switch. But apparently 3 is the answer. Stuffs me how a climbing aircraft reduces takeoff weight to improve climb????

You would be annoyed if that question made the difference between pass and fail.

How about "what causes icing?." silly me i put "throttle reduced on decent"

answer= when there's moisture in the air.

bugger for Darwin

driest valley is in Antarctica. or Death-valley USA.

and it was the decider question

spacesailor

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I am tending to agree with Nev. Some of the questions are ambiguous to say the least and some of the "correct" answers contradict each other, example questions 3 and 6 in the bit to do with stability.

Here is one in a current exam.

An aircraft is climbing, how can you increase the rate of climb

1. some garbage

2. some other garbage

3. reduce takeoff weight

4. increase speed by 10 knots

Sat my exam last week and had a little smile to myself when I saw this one come up.

Thanks to Dr Zoos I knew which to pick - the visual of throwing the passenger out was a great memory aid.