Search underway for light plane which failed to arrive in Victoria

Not sounding to good Ian, I'd presume he would have planned down via our way but the ceiling has been crap all day, couldn't imagine him going direct.

Lets hope he has put down somewhere safe and will be found.

Alf

• Agree 2

One of the reports said they were looking around Hotham. I guess he planned Cobungra or Mt Livingstone NDB around Hotham to avoid the worst of it but conditions have not been good today, especially the wind.

I wouldn't be surprised if the pilot is one of the foreign students based at Mangalore because I think they do a navex across that way and there aren't many reasons to do that trip otherwise. Hope he is ok...

Kaz

Spriteah,

Seems pretty accurate that it is a 182 by all reports, going by the flight plan he looks like he was going direct over a lot of tiger, not my cup of tea in marginal weather.

Just hope he is down somewhere due to a precautionary as I don't like the chances if he went down in that country.

Can only hope for a good outcome.

Alf

Not a good outcome at all considering he was not all that far away from his destination.Condolences to family and friends of the lost aviator.

Alf

Very sad... Must be around the Mt Selwyn area. Not many places to set down in bad weather.

Kaz

Seeing footage of the wreck on the news tonight it does not look like an attempt to put down. The degree of damage looks more like it has flown into the terrain. RIP.

Pilot was well known here at Shepparton. Was formerly a CFA Station Officer based in Shepp with 35 years service now retired. Lived not far away.

From the photo aircraft appears to have come down with very little forward movement. Weather reported as high winds and severe turbulence with moderate low cloud.

Evidence seems to suggest he was caught in a rotor in the lee of the mountain.

Kaz