Concrete ? . . . . .

Phil Perry

My mate Clive got a job with a concrete batching company in Burwood ( Melbourne ) in the early 1970s.

He wasn't that good at the work and he tried really hard to get it right for more than three years but, accidents will happen, and one day he slipped and fell into a deep wet batch.

Now, . . .well,. . . I guess you could say that he's, . . .er,. . . really SET in his ways.

Was told this by crew on a cruise boat who pointed to a round bridge support column and said "a worker fell in while pouring concrete & was left in there".spacesailor

A rock solid worker. Never missed a day from the work site. His wife still collects his pay every week.

Reminds me of a story my dad told me.

This man every fortnight would take his pay home and give it unopened to his wife who would then give him some money to spend. This went well for many years until one day he was sick so his wife went in to collect his pay only to find out he was paid weekly.

• Haha 1

Was told this by crew on a cruise boat who pointed to a round bridge support column and said "a worker fell in while pouring concrete & was left in there".spacesailor

There is a persistent story about a worker left behind a concrete form in a tunnel under the Snowy Mountains.