What would a LAME earn?

Bubbleboy

Just to add to B200MAN's post. I never lost a nights sleep wondering if I had done my job correctly in the 12 years that I worked on F111 and Tornado jets. Peeps do have to be confident that they know what they are doing.

Doing your job correctly is one thing, but when you are working in GA and the owner wants to do the work so he can save money. Or he has done something while the aircraft is at home. The guy that signs the MR is the one who is responsible. But it won't stop the owner from taking you to court if something happens. These are some of the reasons that I don't work in GA.

• Like 1

It has all been said here before but I'll say it again! As a retired LAME I'd say a lot of study, a lot of responsibility, a lot of stress (You jump every time aircrash mentioned in the media) and really not a lot of money. The flying school for which I worked once sent a youngster to the hangar to see me, he said "I want to be an aircraft engineer, what should I do?) My answer was to go find someone with a bit 4x2 and get them to hit you around the head with it until you change your mind. Seriously, you would only do it for love and because, despite knowing the physics of it, aeroplanes are still magic!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks Guys...once again I appreciate your thoughts. I am going to do a little more research and make some inquiries about the course here so I can have a full overview as to what I am in for.

Having the course here in my home town enables me to still run my business for an income and apparently I can do a lot of it by distance learning and attend some practical blocks.

I spent yesterday building the wooden undercarriage legs for my Pietenpol and the more I build the more I want to do it for a living. I havent decided either way yet and thank you all for giving me an insight!

Scotty

IMG_1877.JPG.7254240e77c6fcbe0be9fd06a28da017.JPG

IMG_1848.JPG.06ee41d7fb191f51e713713be979435d.JPG

Aircraft are magic alright. If you could have the reality without the bullshit that would be great. Doing what you love for a living does compromise things. You don't do it your way, and some of the influences put you in a position that you would not do alone, but under pressure you do it to keep the show on the road and suddenly you are left alone without your house when it all comes unstuck. Nev

I have always considered the LAMEs to be the unsung heroes of our aviation safety; as a CAR 35 engineer I got to know quite a lot of them, and I came to have the utmost respect for them. CASA treats them as criminals and rogues, and is constantly looking for opportunities to prosecute them. This was not always the case, but it is nowadays. Many aircraft owners behave as though the LAMEs were grossly overcharging thieves. That's not my experience; however many aircraft cost more to maintain than they should; and few owners bother to find out why. I'm putting a Blanik glider back in the air, and I'm doing quite a bit of the work myself (I have the necessary maintenance authority). The ASIs and altimeters (there are two of each, it's a tandem-seat trainer) have to be overhauled - they are 3000 ft/turn types, and need to be replaced with sensitive altimeters. That's around $ 900.00; the safety harnesses are in need of re-webbing - that's around $ 450, provided they are acceptable for overhaul. The radio has to go through a shop. The rubber shock-mounts for the instrument panels need replacement - another $106. The control surfaces and flaps needed re-covering - the materials alone cost over $3000.00 - I'm providing the labour - about 200 man hours; I'm enjoying it, but I wouldn't want to do it for a living. Aircraft cost money to maintain. Most people have no idea how much they cost, and they tend to blame the LAMEs - which is simply wrong. Add to that the various fees and charges - RAA fees, insurance, hangarage etc.

The Fokker F-27 that I managed for CSIRO in the 1980s, cost on average roughly $800 per day back then, standing still, just to keep it airworthy. That was about 20,000 Kg of aeroplane. On that basis, a 600 Kg RAA aeroplane might cost about $24 per day, standing still. My PA 28-140 worked out at around $3000 per year (in 1985) just standing still.

Then there's fuel. One compensation of a glider is that it doesn't burn much fuel - unless you put a motor on it so you can go places when the thermals are not popping.

The LAMEs are not the root cause of aircraft maintenance costs. However, they have about the most thankless task I can think of. This is sowing the wind; we will reap the whirlwind in due course.

• Like 1

I have always considered the LAMEs to be the unsung heroes of our aviation safety; as a CAR 35 engineer I got to know quite a lot of them, and I came to have the utmost respect for them. CASA treats them as criminals and rogues, and is constantly looking for opportunities to prosecute them. This was not always the case, but it is nowadays. Many aircraft owners behave as though the LAMEs were grossly overcharging thieves. That's not my experience; however many aircraft cost more to maintain than they should; and few owners bother to find out why. I'm putting a Blanik glider back in the air, and I'm doing quite a bit of the work myself (I have the necessary maintenance authority). The ASIs and altimeters (there are two of each, it's a tandem-seat trainer) have to be overhauled - they are 3000 ft/turn types, and need to be replaced with sensitive altimeters. That's around $ 900.00; the safety harnesses are in need of re-webbing - that's around $ 450, provided they are acceptable for overhaul. The radio has to go through a shop. The rubber shock-mounts for the instrument panels need replacement - another $106. The control surfaces and flaps needed re-covering - the materials alone cost over $3000.00 - I'm providing the labour - about 200 man hours; I'm enjoying it, but I wouldn't want to do it for a living. Aircraft cost money to maintain. Most people have no idea how much they cost, and they tend to blame the LAMEs - which is simply wrong. Add to that the various fees and charges - RAA fees, insurance, hangarage etc.The Fokker F-27 that I managed for CSIRO in the 1980s, cost on average roughly $800 per day back then, standing still, just to keep it airworthy. That was about 20,000 Kg of aeroplane. On that basis, a 600 Kg RAA aeroplane might cost about $24 per day, standing still. My PA 28-140 worked out at around $3000 per year (in 1985) just standing still.

Then there's fuel. One compensation of a glider is that it doesn't burn much fuel - unless you put a motor on it so you can go places when the thermals are not popping.

The LAMEs are not the root cause of aircraft maintenance costs. However, they have about the most thankless task I can think of. This is sowing the wind; we will reap the whirlwind in due course.

Daffyd, we worked together (you did the design, I did the work) a few times at Archerfield. I feel that we are already "reaping the whirlwind" most of the LAMEs of my acquaintance are "baby-boomers" and those of us who can are walking away, retiring early, whatever. There are more ads for LAME positions than I have seen in the past 30yrs, why? because the rewards are not worth the effort for youngsters to get into the game.

The world of the LAME Little understanding of what it (your involvement) entails by most people you deal with, and ALL responsibility for the final condition of the aircraft, because you put your signature to it. Regulation bound where no individual thought will be entered into. The scene will just get worse. In some ways it's worse for the thinking pilot because the need for an answer has a shorter time frame and the result is more immediate for them. I say thinking because you can't just rely on rules to do your decision making in critical situations, always. The buck stops with you in the real world. Nev

Guest Andys@coffs

life becomes difficult without the car.....less so without the plane for those recreationaly flying.....

My perspective......$200 is cheaper than a visit to the shrink if I cant fly insane.gif.b56be3c4390e84bce5e5e6bf4f69a458.gif