PC, IPad or phone - what do you use

Admin

The device I mostly use on the site is?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. The device I mostly use on the site is?

• Personal computer
    • Ipad or tablet device
    • Mobile phone
    • Other device...please comment

Just curious on what is the predominate device you use to view the site?

Having to use the iPad all the time at the moment on the site myself, I find it hard to admin like copying pasting and all the other little things it takes to maintain the site and I am finding it very frustrating with an iPad which just made me ask the question on what device users predomoninately use.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Guest Andys@coffs

Get a windows based tablet......add a wireless mouse and all good......

I have a PC that I use most, an ipad with 3G and a dell Lattitude 10 Atom based tablet which also has 3G but not populated in my case with a sim......

Ex Demo system for $387... runs win 8.1 and all windows software works on it..... albeit slowly cause atom isn't going to break any land speed records...but for web based stuff..perfect

www.dell.com.au/dfo then click on latitude......

Andy

I find that tablets are great for social stuff, and much more limited when it is any kind of work.

A relative bought a Surface RT and I was impressed with that as a step up in usefulness.

Out and about, I check on recflying using the web browser on my android phone - works well for a quick browse, but long replies are painful.

• Agree 2

I am still using iPad version 1, the original iPad, so I guess my frustration with incomes from that...I can't even upgrade it to their v6 so many apps are beginning to be unavailable for it...guess if you get an iPad you have to be prepared for a limited life but solitaire still plays ok

I thought I'd update by saying I use both.

In fact I think I have just got the AirNav program running on my laptop again after nearly 12 months without it.

I have Ozrunways in my iPad and love it, but I really like my AirNav moving map as well. I used the latter during a big trip around the Outback in 2009 when I knocked up nearly 4000 miles in 4 States and the NT. It runs on the laptop and is blue toothed to a GPS receiver (same as the iPad) and the laptop is linked to a 7" screen located above the pax door where I can see it clearly.

This gave me a lot of comfort as I travelled some very sparsely populated areas with relatively few landmarks along the way. It allowed me to constantly check my GPS position and position on the ground against my paper chart and was incredibly accurate at all times.

I love the iPad but it doesn't choose the best chart at any particular time and you have to manually shift from WAC to VNC or VTC whereas the AirNav does this automatically. It avoids clumsy fingers pressing something they shouldn't and losing the facility at an embarrassing moment such as when you are hunting for that elusive reporting point as you enter CTA. It always happens when the workload is highest!

The problem turned out to be some little heat scorch marks inside the old receiver and disappeared when I replaced it with a Dual 160.

Incidentally, the laptop is running on XP and I use a little program called Xport.exe to create USB ports for the Bluetooth connection with the laptop. Does any one know of a similar program that will run on Windows 7, please?

Kaz