B17 in RAA one day ???

c722352

I've always thought a Lancaster would be bloody great as a two seat tandem , obviously would be VH exp ,how cool though, four 912's howling away ( well actually sounding like a fleet of vacumn cleaners) , you'd have to put the turrets on electric motors , I'd love to have a go at it but time is the bummer, still good to dream

Matty

• Like 1

I've always thought a Lancaster would be bloody great as a two seat tandem , obviously would be VH exp ,how cool though, four 912's howling away ( well actually sounding like a fleet of vacumn cleaners) , you'd have to put the turrets on electric motors , I'd love to have a go at it but time is the bummer, still good to dreamMatty

Matty:

I wouldn't mind making a B29 either. Unfortunately, most of the other multi-engine bombers wouldn't scale, according to the guy who built the B17. I think it had something to do with the cockpit space of the scaled airplane requiring noticeable alteration to the lines of the plane.

• Agree 1
  • Winner 1

I've always thought a Lancaster would be bloody great as a two seat tandem , obviously would be VH exp ,how cool though, four 912's howling away ( well actually sounding like a fleet of vacumn cleaners) , you'd have to put the turrets on electric motors , I'd love to have a go at it but time is the bummer, still good to dreamMatty

How about scrapping the 912's or 2 strokes, using electric instead, and integrate a sound system with speakers in the nacelles making the sound of Merlins...

• Agree 1

I'd even given thought to a mosquito , all GRP , once the mould is done you'd have the option of doing more, there's a few planes that would lend themselves to the fiberglass replicas ,P38 , beaufighter ( twin rotecs :-) ).

Nev ,the B17 rudder is big, was it a joint effort to keep it straight ,or hydraulics, I'm amazed when you see the condition some of them limped home in, it would've been a handful in good nick, loosing a heap of systems and flight controls would've been unbelievably hard work!

I'd say it was for directional control authority on take off . Vmc (g) and Vmc(a). A lot of military aircraft used to lift off before achieving the figures (which is somewhat hazardous). In the air, at a reasonable flying speed, you could compensate by flying one wing down if the rudder was not fully operative and an engine out (hopefully feathered) Nev

How about scrapping the 912's or 2 strokes, using electric instead, and integrate a sound system with speakers in the nacelles making the sound of Merlins...

Marty you have anticipated a whole future industry, with nostalgia selling a plethora of digitally- generated engine sounds.

With the demise of our car industry, I'm sure there will be a big market among petrol-heads for a throbbing Ford V8 sound from their car-boot woofers.

This sort of thing probably started years ago when Yamaha sold parallel twin bikes with 270 degree cranks. Sounded almost as good as a Ducati.

Marty you have anticipated a whole future industry, with nostalgia selling a plethora of digitally- generated engine sounds.With the demise of our car industry, I'm sure there will be a big market among petrol-heads for a throbbing Ford V8 sound from their car-boot woofers.

This sort of thing probably started years ago when Yamaha sold parallel twin bikes with 270 degree cranks. Sounded almost as good as a Ducati.

Such devices are already available, used on electric model aircraft for authentic radial or v12 sounds.

Marty you have anticipated a whole future industry, with nostalgia selling a plethora of digitally- generated engine sounds...

Haha thanks OK... it was meant entirely tongue in cheek, you could have knocked me down with a feather when I saw Corvairkr's post about the FK-51... (and from their website: "To reach the sound of the original P-51 Mustang there will be a sound system available to generate the original sound in the ultralight Mustang. This device will be controlled by the engine controls and provides an absolutely original sound from starting the engine, the acceleration and the stopping sound of the engine.")

I have often thought of building a multi-engine 95.10 just for the fun of it, nothing practical. Some that I thought could work are a P-38 lightning, a B-25 Mitchell, a Lancaster, a B-17 , a Boston or an F-14. There used to be a horizontally opposed 2-stroke twin of around 28 hp that was very light, that I thought could work well. For around 28 hp, a few 277 rotax's would probably be just fine.

I have often thought of building a multi-engine 95.10 just for the fun of it, nothing practical. Some that I thought could work are a P-38 lightning, a B-25 Mitchell, a Lancaster, a B-17 , a Boston or an F-14. There used to be a horizontally opposed 2-stroke twin of around 28 hp that was very light, that I thought could work well. For around 28 hp, a few 277 rotax's would probably be just fine.

The opposed 28hp JPX is used on some Lazairs mainly the 2 seaters and float models. getting hard to find now.

The opposed 28hp JPX is used on some Lazairs mainly the 2 seaters and float models. getting hard to find now.

I recall one called " Loeke " or something like that, I think it was Czech made, very simple and very cheap. Just the sort of thing for experimenting with, so that you're not blowing too much money on stuff that's not practical.