Training flight ends in crash landing at Orange Airport

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-01-16/orange-crash/5202752

Oops someone messed up big time, but uninjured which is great.

A training flight has ended in a crash landing at Orange Airport in central western New South Wales.

The Piper Arrow light plane slammed into the tarmac and then overshot the runway at Orange just before 4:00pm (AEDT) yesterday.

On board was a 26-year-old student pilot from Sydney and his 60-year-old instructor, also from Sydney.

They had flown to Orange from Bankstown Airport on a training flight.

Acting Inspector Scott Russell said initial investigations indicate the trainee pilot made a mistake during the approach to Orange airport.

It was a simulated engine stall and unfortunately the pilot didn't simulate and it came to a crash landing.

Acting Inspector Scott Russell

"Apparently, and we haven't confirmed this, but it was a simulated engine stall and unfortunately the pilot didn't simulate and it came to a crash landing," he said.

"The pilot was a very experienced pilot and the student was obviously under his instruction."

Acting Inspector Russell said the plane landed heavily and the undercarriage buckled.

"Fortunately no persons were injured,'' he said.

"They were again shaken but uninjured."

simulated engine stall..... I take that to mean a simulated engine failure! if so! The Piper Arrow being a GA aircraft! Can a training exercise be carried through to landing?

I though that flying the aircraft right down to the tarmac was stoped years ago because of accidents such as this one.

Frank

Another possibility, if the instructor was introducing him her to leaning out the mixture during cruise, could have been an HF pulling the level down the gate instead of pushing it up.

It's normal for mixture training to be done during navs.

simulated engine stall..... I take that to mean a simulated engine failure! if so! The Piper Arrow being a GA aircraft! Can a training exercise be carried through to landing?I though that flying the aircraft right down to the tarmac was stoped years ago because of accidents such as this one.

Frank

Not sure about in Australia but in the USA when I was training for a PPL it was very common to have the power pulled in the circut and the instructor say engine failure. These were always done to the ground. If you were cross country or in the training area these were done down to about 500 feet.

My recent flying test certainly included several variations of engine failure in the circuit and subsequent landing. I also had the opposite...a throttle failure stuck at full power. You have to decide where in the cct to cut the mags and successfully land.