Tiger Lands on Beach at Barwon Heads

From

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/news/plane-lands-on-beach-near-barwon-heads/story-fnjuhxh0-1226811382415

SURPRISED beach goers watched as a vintage Tiger Moth plane landed on the sand at Thirteenth Beach this afternoon.

They hurried out of the way as the plane made the emergency landing about 1.30pm, reportedly because of an engine failure.

Witnesses said between 50 and 100 beach goers watched the incident before two men exited the plane

"I heard someone screaming for us to get out of the way and turned around and saw it," said Melbourne man Alex Keynes.

"It missed my mother-in-law and three-year-old niece by about one metre.

"Overall, I'd say the pilot did a fantastic job to land it safely and not hit anyone, but I would like to know what their policy is about landing on the beach, because if that happened at somewhere like Torquay, where th beaches are much more crowded it could have been very dangerous."

Louis Cameron also witnessed the bizarre event.

"It was really strange. I was reading a book one minute and then I heard a noise and looked up and saw the plane," he said.

"It was pretty much a perfect landing.

"It was a surprising thing to see but it really wasn't that dramatic. People just hurried to get out of the way.

"It was a smooth landing, it just bounced a bit when it got on the rocks.

"The interesting thing now will be to see how they get it out of there."

Please NO, your really talking about putting horns on planes after zero problems,,,,,,no one has been hurt in Oz and there is one in the USA , the last thing we need is more crap that is pointless, how about we go for a ban on iPod earplugs,,,they've killed at least three people in Melbourne in the last two years,,,and it appears our USA jogger was using them too,

Matty

• Agree 4

Please NO, your really talking about putting horns on planes after zero problems,,,,,,no one has been hurt in Oz and there is one in the USA , the last thing we need is more crap that is pointless, how about we go for a ban on iPod earplugs,,,they've killed at least three people in Melbourne in the last two years,,,and it appears our USA jogger was using them too,Matty

They are good for mustering!

• Agree 1

Reminds me of an event that someone told me a few years ago. He was flying a Piper Super Cub across the nullarbour ( hope I've spelt it correctly). This aircraft was used in WA for shark spotting and was fitted with a siren underneath, he was coming up behind a guy on a motorbike so he descended fairly low and when he was just above and behind him, he gave him a blast on the siren. The guy looked behind him down the road, probably thought the police were on his tail, but he saw nothing and continued on his way so our pilot gave him another siren blast but this time he spotted our aviator so he gave him the two fingers sign, opened the throttle and disappeared into the distance, our pilot never caught him up. True story.

Alan.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Courting couples used to go into the sandhills and there was a story about how a glider pilot used to swoop low and shout out "Behold the lord cometh" causing many bare backsides to be quickly hidden among the bushes.

I was in the super Tiger with the same young pilot (Jack) the day before -not the tiger moth featured fortunately. I went up for the mild aerobatic option they have available. Jack seems like a very competent young pilot.

After the aerobatics and we got back to the field, Jack did a fantastic side slip landing and touched down perfectly. It was so smooth I had to double check we were actually on the ground.

I'm not surprised he did a great job of putting the plane down.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/video/watch/21090760/vintage-plane-lands-on-beach/

Ak