Weather radar overlay now on Ozrunways.....

Guest Maj Millard

Guest Maj Millard

Have you all seen this....it is brilliant ! Wx presented on map, and in relation to our planned route line, real time....Yeehaaa......thank you Bazza and the boys at Ozrunways !!.....the best just keeps getting better..............Maj....

I am waiting for the USB tv dongle to complete my raspberry Pi ADSB receiver that directly overlays the aircraft on your map like the weather. The image seems to work and the ipad picks up the wifi hotspot from the Pi just need that bloody receiver to try it all properly

• Like 2

Thanks Hong, example, several days back I was way south heading north (home)

Approx 3 hrs weaving me way through rain cells etc , couple of times I had to backtrack to find a clearer passage elsewhere, to cut a long story short, we made it. So......running this radar overlay for hrs at a time, would chew how much data plan??

Russ

again, not much i dont think mate, as it only refreshes every half an hour or so i think. Bas may be able to provide some more input here.

Just be aware, that this weather is not strictly real time. I would not rely on it to avoid weather. There will be a delay, I'm not sure how long. Even the ADS-B weather that they get in the US is delayed by up to 10 mins I've read.

Having flown with both Foreflight and Ozrunways, while ozrunways if good foreflight is great. One of the things I like is the ability to show the cost of fuel on the map. Makes flight planning easier (and cheaper)

($ per gallon)

Guest Maj Millard

Yes cost of fuel at various locations is a good feature also, however I wonder how up to date that would be,with the need for constant upgrading as prices change daily ?...........Maj....033_scratching_head.gif.b541836ec2811b6655a8e435f4c1b53a.gif

Guest Maj Millard
Thanks Hong, example, several days back I was way south heading north (home)Approx 3 hrs weaving me way through rain cells etc , couple of times I had to backtrack to find a clearer passage elsewhere, to cut a long story short, we made it. So......running this radar overlay for hrs at a time, would chew how much data plan??

Russ

Russ, You have the option of quickly and easly switching it on and off, obviously if there is a lot happening you'll probabily want to leave it on, however the option is there to just use it as a check on WX every now and then as you may be presented with it out the front window.............Maj.....

Guest Maj Millard

o

again, not much i dont think mate, as it only refreshes every half an hour or so i think. Bas may be able to provide some more input here.Just be aware, that this weather is not strictly real time. I would not rely on it to avoid weather. There will be a delay, I'm not sure how long. Even the ADS-B weather that they get in the US is delayed by up to 10 mins I've read.

hongs, I looked at the multi colored WX forcast overlay but found it nex to useless. As it is a forecast, what is the delay in what you see displayed, to when you actually get that WX ??.............Maj.....

Yes cost of fuel at various locations is a good feature also, however I wonder how up to date that would be,with the need for constant upgrading as prices change daily ?...........Maj....033_scratching_head.gif.b541836ec2811b6655a8e435f4c1b53a.gif

Availability is a more pressing issue, Maj. We in Oz have such low traffic density we are lucky to find a fuel outlet. And that's just AvGas. How many Rotax drivers ever see Mogas at an airport?

image.jpg.a9297447e5e3fbfc0d022ffdbd8f48e2.jpg

I've not looked at the forecasts on there, just the radar. Not sure what the actual delay is, just i'm aware that there is one, and also the fact that the BOM only displays 10min intervals

Hongie

It IS the BOM radar overlaid on Ozrunways charts - so you are correct in saying not actual time, 10mins and sometimes more between updates. Displays on whichever chart you select.

Guest Maj Millard
do you have to be actually flying to get the overlay radar on the screen…mine just comes up in a window

No Mark, It'll come up anytime....you may need to have a route selected.....used to come up in a box, which is still available with the normal wx button....

I am waiting for the USB tv dongle to complete my raspberry Pi ADSB receiver that directly overlays the aircraft on your map like the weather. The image seems to work and the ipad picks up the wifi hotspot from the Pi just need that bloody receiver to try it all properly

My ipad mini displays a square grey box with 2 circles at various zoomable distances (100nm, 200nm for eg.) for the ADSB traffic. So far, I havent seen any actual ADSB traffic displayed on the iPAD (not a lot of aircraft around Gympie way), but I will be taking it in the car tomorrow while I drive around to see if I can get better reception. I am picking up a few aircraft from time to time when its displaying on a PC monitor, so i know it all hangs together, but reception should be much better outside. Wonder what the ipad will display.

sorted the weather display it helps where to know how to turn it on

On another matter the TV dongles finally arrived today so hooked it all up connected to just a vhf antenna system here. I had the wifi working fine but just needed the specific version of the dongle….wow does the adsb display work well….just fantastic got my own personal flight radar 24 screen..it shows aircraft call sign and height…I would summize height they transmit maybe not from my height

On a similar note has anyone else had an issue with the showing of runways on the flight plan map. It was showing there before the last update and now I can select or deselect the tab but it does not show. Is it possible that it will only show when moving toward the destination?

• Agree 1

Guest Andys@coffs

Hey guys, lets have a quick refresh of how radar works so we don't get into the terrible predicament of believing as gospel all we see on DaScreen.......

Radar is line of sight and at the frequencies used by the BOM doesn't bend at all.....the earth surface is round and as such the further you are away from the BOM radar sight the less the ability for it to display what is happening at the altitude you fly at.....go too far from a radar site and if it displays anything at all it wont relate to what you are seeing at our relatively low flying altitudes.

Further, and obviously, it cant show what it cant see. BOM doesn't have sufficient radars to offer continuous coverage at our altitudes on the east coast let alone the rest of Australia, so no Ozrunway displayed weather don't mean no weather......

Andy

another thing that pretty much confirms these graphs is when first built my sav I could lift the nose right up and the tail would never sit on the ground now I can lift the nose up and the aircraft sits on its tail with a little weight on it…this is confirmed in the "new" chart when you look at it