Wittman Tailwind

ave8rr

Bob Llewellyn. I've never though tof the corby as STOL, will have to see what I can do with mine, but I doubt that it is much shorter T.O or landing than my RV4

Hmmm, the RV4 is a bit of a hotrod by GA standards... less than 15lb/hp @ MTOW, less than 15lb/sq.ft ditto...

The Starlet airfoil is an outstanding performer at low reynolds numbers (i.e. high Clmax); what power loading and wing loading are you running?

If a Starlet has soggy low-speed climb performance, it's probably leakage from the canopy or premature wing root separation (the Piper TraumaHawk is a mongrel for these).

Does yours have flaps?

• Like 1

I suspect he meant "CAS or IAS?"....001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif in the "rudder during finals" thread (I think) there's a useful post on stall speed determination ...080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

I guess the answer to that is "Indicated Air Speed" - corrected for wind.

No problem with climb in the Starlet, but I am not a STOL pilot when it comes to landing. Maybe a better pilot could get better figures for landing. After 9 hours on the RV4 I am managing landings about tha same as the Corby, but of course it has big flaps.

No problem with climb in the Starlet, but I am not a STOL pilot when it comes to landing. Maybe a better pilot could get better figures for landing. After 9 hours on the RV4 I am managing landings about tha same as the Corby, but of course it has big flaps.

The RVs use NACA 23012, or a tad thicker; as did the later Austers, the Beech Bonanze, Grumman Wildcat.... the Starlet is NACA 43012A, or very close; they should be comparable

For your info Nareman, MGO lives on (albeit still in a state of repose). She's with her her second owner since coming down from the rafters of Kingie's hangar and is currently residing not far from Northam sans FWF. Present owner has purchased and intends to mount a Rotec R2800 radial in the airframe. "Twill be a most unusual aircraft when it happens. cheers Riley

When I had finished the rebuild of my Thruster, I was looking around for another project, and discussed the 'yellow demon' floating in Graeme King's hangar, with Graeme. I didn't take it any further but it would have been a project, that's for sure.

I'm still toying with the idea of another restoration project - what wrecks do you know of around the place Riley?

Pud

When I had finished the rebuild of my Thruster, I was looking around for another project, and discussed the 'yellow demon' floating in Graeme King's hangar, with Graeme. I didn't take it any further but it would have been a project, that's for sure.I'm still toying with the idea of another restoration project - what wrecks do you know of around the place Riley?

Pud

Wrecks? Hell, they follow me home!! Am waffling at present about rebuilding the hair-lipped, radial-engined Lightwing that mysteriously appeared in my hangar a while back. The engine is at Rotec now for a bulk strip & whatever upgrades/repairs are deemed appropriate and, dependant upon my being successful in procuring a suitable aged classic (Chief, Luscombe, T'craft et al) AND can work out how to get it unto RAA 19 experimental category, the damaged Lightwing (less FWF) will be going out the door cheap. There also rests in my workshop at home a Sapphire that came to grief with 87 hrs TT from brand new that has the accident damage mostly repaired but hasn't seen the light of day or felt the blow of a hammer for about 18 months. Still curious? how about an old Thruster Gemini wearing an R532 but no clothes (fabric)? Or - the basis of a T300 Thruster Special with a 3 cyl Suzuki, 4-stroke modified w/ Rotax E box and Stitts-covered wings and empennage?......and we haven't even left my front gate yet! If you are seriously looking for some more misery (have you so soon forgotten the saga of Gay Girl's ressurection?) give me some guide lines and we'll find something to keep you poor and off the streets. Good to hear from you. cheers Riley

• Like 2

Wrecks? Hell, they follow me home!! Am waffling at present about rebuilding the hair-lipped, radial-engined Lightwing that mysteriously appeared in my hangar a while back. The engine is at Rotec now for a bulk strip & whatever upgrades/repairs are deemed appropriate and, dependant upon my being successful in procuring a suitable aged classic (Chief, Luscombe, T'craft et al) AND can work out how to get it unto RAA 19 experimental category, the damaged Lightwing (less FWF) will be going out the door cheap. There also rests in my workshop at home a Sapphire that came to grief with 87 hrs TT from brand new that has the accident damage mostly repaired but hasn't seen the light of day or felt the blow of a hammer for about 18 months. Still curious? how about an old Thruster Gemini wearing an R532 but no clothes (fabric)? Or - the basis of a T300 Thruster Special with a 3 cyl Suzuki, 4-stroke modified w/ Rotax E box and Stitts-covered wings and empennage?......and we haven't even left my front gate yet! If you are seriously looking for some more misery (have you so soon forgotten the saga of Gay Girl's ressurection?) give me some guide lines and we'll find something to keep you poor and off the streets. Good to hear from you. cheers Riley

Jeez Riley, I thought you were the only wreck at your place:cheezy grin:

Looks like I'm going to have to visit you, and drool over your airframes.

The Lightwing sounds attractive, must be the word 'cheap' you so slyly included in the sentence.

On the other hand, maybe I'm just dreaming......

I'll give you a call, and swing by soon Riley.

Pud

• 3 years later...

My Tailwind which stood on its nose at Jaspers ;is still flying, takes more than that incident to stop a Tailwind, no thanks for the adverse publicity. It has been flying since 2005

• Like 1

My Tailwind w10 has been flying since 2005, has all Jim Clements Mods., including tri-gear u.carriage.. Lost my medical so flying restricted. RAA refused w10 but will accept w8 so I am told.

W10 is great small a.craft, easy build, easy repair, low maintenance. Repair after Jaspers incident was easy...

Will post photo when I can see how it is done here.

• Like 1

The Tailwind is one of the best small/light aircraft ever designed, albeit needing decent pilots. Barry Bishton ( the wooden prop maker) had a W8, loved it.

Would like to see photo/s.

If anyone fancies owning a Whitman Tailwind, Geoff Oliver's VH-MGO ( see post # 10 this thread) is again looking for a new home. Still with no FWF and needing some TLC. I'm told the present owner's plans to repower with a Rotec R2800 radial have been abandoned and I understand the radial is also available in WA.

I was looking at a Whitman Tailwind a couple of weeks back out in the Eastern Melbourne burbs that has been thirty years in the build.

Still a bit to do and now the gentleman's son is also building one and his is only about three years into the build and at about the same stage as his fathers I believe.

I wonder who will finish first???

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...