Qantas Q F 94 & Q F 16 Clash at LAX

That's all Allan needs

From ABC News

Two Qantas aircraft have collided in an incident on the ground at Los Angeles airport.

The airline says the wing tips of an A380 and B747 clipped while being towed out of the hangar.

There were no passengers on board and no injuries have been reported in the collision, which has been reported to the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA).

A full investigation is underway.

In a statement issued by the airline, a Qantas spokesperson said both aircraft had been assessed by engineers resulting in the cancellation of two services.

The affected flights are QF94 (Los Angeles to Melbourne) and QF16 (Los Angeles to Brisbane).

QF94 will now depart 11:30pm (local time) arriving into Melbourne at 10:20am two days later.

QF16 will depart at 11.50pm (local time), arriving into Brisbane at 8:00am two days later.

Several years back in my QF days I was involved with the rollout of their 'TowSAFE' training at Sydney. A very comprehensive training programme that defined each persons role when they are involved in towing, wing walking, etc. So, yes I expect some hard questions are being asked in the aftermath of this one. From my understanding procedures to avoid this have been in place for quite some time now.

• Agree 1

We have at least 20 aircraft towed a day at Adelaide, from A330's and B747's to PC12's, they are towed by a vehicle with generally two persons, a driver looking forward and the engineer looking back at the aircraft. No wing walkers or spotters, at a busy airport this would be very dangerous and much less safe. The aircraft guide lines in/out and airport movement limitations guidelines provide more than adequate clearance for manoeuvring aircraft either under power or being towed, that is if everyone is aware of where they are, where they are going and do as they are instructed, then all is good. But we are human and accidents do happen, just the same as the Jetstar A320 and Virgin aircraft at Melbourne.

• Agree 2