Lightning Bug rebuild

It's about time you put a pair of pants on.

Only half on at the moment so don't peek! Should be fully dressed later this week though. She might even have a shower to freshen up a bit and maybe in a few weeks, she might put the makeup on so she can be seen in public.

Any more thoughts/developments regarding RAA rego? LSA or kit?

Not sure if it is possible under the regs but my ideal situation would be all the fibreglass (or carbonfibre)work is done and it is ready for engine, cables avionics, etc.........

Any more thoughts/developments regarding RAA rego? LSA or kit?Not sure if it is possible under the regs but my ideal situation would be all the fibreglass (or carbonfibre)work is done and it is ready for engine, cables avionics, etc.........

It's certainly something to be considered (RAAus suitable that is). With some wing extensions, we could probably bring the stall speed into the LSA regime. Given LSA in Oz does not have any top speed limit, we could potentially get an Aussie LSA that was "fast".

We will likely need to focus on experimental kits to start with, but will look at all options to make the aircraft successful. This will include looking at SLSA (ready to fly) and ELSA (kit) options that will qualify it for RAAus rego.

It had its first high speed taxi run today. Lanny reported extremely good acceleration to around 70mph with the acceleration getting better as speed built up. The Rotax was only turning around 3700 rpm at 70mph so still way down on the "power band" for the engine. In spite of the low power being delivered, acceleration was still exceptional. Calculated best climb speed is estimated to be around 120 knots where the engine should be turning at around 4800 rpm so turning 3700 rpm at around 60 knots would be about right to achieve the anticipated 4800rpm/120knot climb parameters.

Here are a few pics of the Bug after it was dragged out of the hangar for the taxi trials. It's been washed so it looks better, but tidying the paint job will have it looking downright fantastic!

image.jpg.070566faef11679fa6e45fd1ae2eef80.jpg

image.jpg.f9a5972fd1dcd31e26aeecc68e56ae3a.jpg

image.jpg.fc2989a297ef7e2cd6cd119d0b906664.jpg

image.jpg.60e8bbcdab584b6927d094c5377f3d94.jpg

• Like 1
  • Winner 3

Nice.....4800/120kts seems an odd figure. Is this full throttle with a VERY coarse pitch?

Most 912 set ups (in RAA) seem to climb out at full, or close to full, sustainable RPM (5500).

Nice.....4800/120kts seems an odd figure. Is this full throttle with a VERY coarse pitch?Most 912 set ups (in RAA) seem to climb out at full, or close to full, sustainable RPM (5500).

Yes, it is an odd figure. The prop is VERY coarse at 93" of pitch. The prop makers we consulted indicated that this would be needed to achieve above 180 knots top end speed, but also indicated that to get this top end speed, we would be down on rpm quite a bit during the climb (possibly up to 3-400 prop rpm) which would put us in the engine rpm range of around 4800-5200. We shall just have to wait and see what we get. It might be more, time will tell. If we can get 5200+ rpm in the climb, then we will be doing better on power and hence achieve a better rate of climb. Alternatively, we might climb at a higher speed than 120 knots to get the rpm. Flight testing will determine what is optimum for our current configuration.

The bottom line is that we will likely be switching soon to an IFA prop. We have a couple under consideration at the moment and low rpm issues will go away. Takeoff and climb performance will then be significantly enhanced over that of our current fixed pitch high speed cruise prop. However, we will need to be able to offer a lower cost fixed pitch prop option for the aircraft which is why we have started with this prop.

The biggest selling point for this kit will likely be its top end and cruise speeds. Pretty well everything on the aircraft is tailored to that end. Takeoff and climb will not be optimised when using a fixed pitch prop. It's one of the trade offs where we will need to reach a compromise between top end speed and low end performance (read safety).

Looks like it's got a limp, Steady Eddy would be impressed!

Yes, the left hand gear leg fairing and wheel pant will be going on during the week. She will then be balanced (unlike her owners who are clearly unbalanced to be undertaking this project!)

• Haha 1

Not sure about that wound around the midriff.. I'd be painting that first 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

The Caesarian was successful and there is a bouncy little baby Lightning Bug in the hangar, waiting to grow up and spread its wings! The plastic surgeon will be on to the scar shortly and you won't even notice that her belly has been operated on. 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

• Haha 1

Yes, it is an odd figure. The prop is VERY coarse at 93" of pitch. The prop makers we consulted indicated that this would be needed to achieve above 180 knots top end speed, but also indicated that to get this top end speed, we would be down on rpm quite a bit during the climb (possibly up to 3-400 prop rpm) which would put us in the engine rpm range of around 4800-5200. We shall just have to wait and see what we get. It might be more, time will tell. If we can get 5200+ rpm in the climb, then we will be doing better on power and hence achieve a better rate of climb. Alternatively, we might climb at a higher speed than 120 knots to get the rpm. Flight testing will determine what is optimum for our current configuration.The bottom line is that we will likely be switching soon to an IFA prop. We have a couple under consideration at the moment and low rpm issues will go away. Takeoff and climb performance will then be significantly enhanced over that of our current fixed pitch high speed cruise prop. However, we will need to be able to offer a lower cost fixed pitch prop option for the aircraft which is why we have started with this prop.

The biggest selling point for this kit will likely be its top end and cruise speeds. Pretty well everything on the aircraft is tailored to that end. Takeoff and climb will not be optimised when using a fixed pitch prop. It's one of the trade offs where we will need to reach a compromise between top end speed and low end performance (read safety).

Thanks for that. I would like see it over 5000 on climb where it starts to come "on cam" but like you say testing will sort it out.

I don't recon the engine would like a high load/low rpm climb. (coming from 200+ hours in mine)

My mate has a C/S Neuform in a CT. A very nice unit and well finished. Definately the "go" in your A/C....

http://www.neuform-propellers.com/en/Propellers/Variable%20Pitch/Propellers

• Informative 1

Thanks for that. I would like see it over 5000 on climb where it starts to come "on cam" but like you say testing will sort it out.I don't recon the engine would like a high load/low rpm climb. (coming from 200+ hours in mine)

My mate has a C/S Neuform in a CT. A very nice unit and well finished. Definately the "go" in your A/C....

http://www.neuform-propellers.com/en/Propellers/Variable Pitch/Propellers

Thanks for that feedback Downunder. I shall look into that prop some more.

One problem that we are running into with the IFA props is that there aren't many that will allow us to reach the 93" pitch that we will likely need to get our top end speed. Airmaster and Varia systems look good and I shall add Neuform to that shortlist. We shall have to make the decision soon as we really need to get the optimisation offered by the IFA prop as soon as possible.

Man, I can't wait to see it fly and see how it performs. When it does, I shall report here accordingly.

As the aircraft is in the US, there's the Whirlwind Aviation 4B props they make for the Titan mustangs with the Rotax engine.

http://www.whirlwindaviation.com/props/100-4series.asp (Just saw the price and have backed away slowly...lol)

Seems they make both hydraulic and electric drives for them.

The 2 blade model has what looks like very "meaty" blades http://www.whirlwindaviation.com/props/100series.asp

As the aircraft is in the US, there's the Whirlwind Aviation 4B props they make for the Titan mustangs with the Rotax engine.http://www.whirlwindaviation.com/props/100-4series.asp (Just saw the price and have backed away slowly...lol)

Seems they make both hydraulic and electric drives for them.

The 2 blade model has what looks like very "meaty" blades http://www.whirlwindaviation.com/props/100series.asp

Thanks for the suggestion. Besides the price (gulp!), we have a maximum prop diameter of 62" with preferably 60" as optimum. Unfortunately, a lot of these IFA prop makers only have their system available with specific blades and diameters. To get a custom blade/diameter arranged is either very difficult or very expensive.

It's a pity Bolly aren't making their IFA system any more. I'd like to give a local brand name some support...

It looks like it may end up being an Airmaster hub with a custom set of blades, or the Varia system.

• Like 1

Yeah, I see how you need that big pitch for the small dia.

Going back to the Neuform's, they have a ground adjustable 59.5 and 61.5 with a variable at 62" but not sure if they will pull to 93".

• 2 months later...

And here we are a few months later. Lanny has been busy sorting out the engine installation and a multitude of small issues that have needed to be resolved.

Additional CHT probes have been installed, exhaust pipes have been fully wrapped in insulation, spray nozzles for the radiator have been installed, washers and bolts have been replaced, wiring has been redone, the engine indication system (EIS) has been set up and calibrated, brake components have been replaced, flight control runs have been checked, wheel pants have been fabricated and installed, fuel system and filters were checked, oil filters were checked, a full annual inspection has been completed... The list goes on but we are now very close to that first post-restoration/modification test flight.

A few days ago, the aircraft weighing was conducted in anticipation of the flight.

The aircraft was then taken out for additional low and high speed taxi runs down the runway and all appears to be in order.

Weather permitting, we are hoping for the first test flight this coming weekend. After such a long preparation, we are hanging out to see what sort of performance we get from it with the Rotax in it. I shall report here once I have some numbers.

I have to admit to thinking that this is a very good looking aircraft. When we get this one repainted after all the work that's been done on it, I'm sure it will receive admiring looks wherever it turns up (hopefully Oshkosh this year, that's now the target after missing Sun'n'fun).

We hope to have a second and third original Bug flying a bit later this year and a fully new build, lighter weight full EFIS Bug towards the end of the year.

• Like 2
  • Winner 1

We'll be using the fixed pitch 62x92 Prince prop for initial test flying then probably try the Varia IFA option. It's a budget setup, simple and light.

• Informative 1

Guest SrPilot
Background continued: My project to convert my Bug kit to a jet has been progressing . . . We came to an arrangement with Lanny Rundell (who owns the Turbine Legend business) who had built 3 Bugs back in the early '90s and he has become our partner in the Bug business.

Thanks for a most interesting posts. Lanny helped me with some of the more difficult fiberglass portion of my GlaStar build a number of years ago. I remember on one trip to see him he had two small aircraft in the hangar. They were new, but I think both had been test flown. They were, I presume, two of the three you mention. I have relied on Lanny's advice a number of times, and when I decided to sell my GlaStar I had him advertise and sell the airplane. He is an excellent source of ideas, information, assistance, and necessary parts. I count him as a friend. Tell him the GlaStar guy from Alabama said hello next time you're chatting with him. I look forward to your forthcoming posts about your project.

Lanny did not build N44XM which is the subject of this restoration, although he did do a repair on it early in its life after the pilot forgot to lower the nosegear for landing.

I shall certainly say hello to him for you when next we chat which is likely to be this weekend after the Bug has flown. I spoke with him a few hours ago and he was getting the last of the paperwork sorted so hopefully, the Bug will be a goer for flight this weekend.

Guest SrPilot
Lanny . . . I shall certainly say hello to him for you when next we chat which is likely to be this weekend after the Bug has flown. . . . hopefully, the Bug will be a goer for flight this weekend.

He licensed my GlaStar (as presumably he is doing on the Bug project). It's nice to have a very knowledgeable person available not only to help with challenging steps in a building process but also in doing the heavy lifting with the FAA on the certification process. He knows his stuff and he's great to work with.

Have fun in the air! I once almost bought a Mooney Mite but I've never quite ended up with a microplane. The RV-3A was the smallest of my lot. Small airplanes (to me at least) are fun; they are more personal and almost become an extension of the pilot. When I fly the CJ, I love it, but we never quite become "one." Don't misunderstand. It's great . . . just different. The RV-3A and I became one when I sat down and fired 'er up. And no one was going to spoil my fun by tagging along; only one seat.

Of course, I sometimes had a two-seater available so I could play taxi if someone wanted to go.