Lightning Bug rebuild

You should be talking to these people Dave ..Electroflight aerobatic plane

I was just eying off their website. Mmmmm...... More food for thought!

Hi DaveNot long until the 'real' Oshkosh, I'll have my regular mobile number with me.

Thanks Jake. Will drop you an email with my contact details. I'll look forward to catching up there. After Oshkosh, I'll head down to Louisiana to check out the Bugs. I'll be returning to Adelaide permanently after that. My 16 years in the desert is up. Woo hoo!

Awaiting our dog fight ;). NO.... You can not use your bug!!!!!!! Fokker only. Lol

The Fokkers tail plane is about to be boxed up ready for the long voyage back to Australia. When I get back, I'm going to have to drive up from Adelaide and check out my adversary, erm, view your collection...

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Solar T62?

Hi Phil,The ICP sounds good but I shall wait for it to be more mature. At 147lbs dry, it will likely be 160+ lbs installed which is getting too heavy. My engine which is on the test stand is 85 lbs complete with everything at the moment and its frontal area is 15" wide by 12" high. This will fit in the Bug nicely with no cowl cheeks and with lots of room to spare. That's about all I can say about it at the moment (aren't I a tease!).

• 1 year later...

Hi Sotaro,

By necessity, I have been focussed intently on my Turbine engine program. That program is progressing well with our 200hp turboprop engine in the detailed design phase. The theoretical performance numbers are looking good and time will tell if they can be achieved in practise. We have a very talented and experienced team of designers involved in the project and if anyone can make these engines happen, it will be our team.

I am hanging out to put one of the 200hp engines in the nose of a Lightning Bug!!

For interest, Milton’s Australian Lightning Bug VH-EMK is currently flying its first 40 hours off with about 10 of these completed. The speed envelope has been expanded out to 185 knots straight and level. The prop on it is not close to being the optimum prop for the set up so thought is being put into the best solution to give optimum performance.

954DC066-37D3-4FE6-8280-3BC54075557E.jpeg.af7e9347f9b45dd2d001a554d85a4338.jpeg

My Jet Bug is on hold while I get my turbine engines going but there are folks from the US that are encouraging me to get it finished as there is a push to get a mini-jet class of racing at Reno!

97C481DE-D179-480B-B15C-EF5196700695.jpeg.5f1dccd1e6192f9a29097e0d1b7e2de2.jpeg

D0746420-BEB9-441A-80B3-EED773A83904.jpeg.5a1e87efc96e98c594409fc471c1d4ec.jpeg

• Like 3