Camping essentials

dlegg

Now that I'm flying and able to get about to different fly-ins, looking to camp overnight, am after suggestions as to what essentials to carry on my plane. With a low wing I expect a tarp of some kind to put over the wing and a sleeping bag and mattress for under. Question being, how light weight to go without sacrificing too much comfort, and not letting nasties in overnight.

Cheers

Maybe consider swag with inbuilt mossie net which is also good for keeping out flies too. Small brush to get dust, burrs off swag before reloading into aircraft. Easy to set up and Pack up. Headlamp, thongs ..essential for grotty shower ..thermos..big indestructible cup, spoon, leatherman, PLB.

After camping near a Spitfire with a tarp over the wing I was inspired to cut down a tent we bought in the 1970s. It now slips over the wing so that I don't have to carry tent poles.

Mozzie-proof, just enough room- and I can do a close-up inspection of the flap hinges from my sleeping bag.

I can also hang onto the tie-down during a howling gale!

Don't skimp on your mattress. After too many nights on thin foam, I spent a bit more on a self-inflating mattress. It's light and will compress into a tiny space. Now I get a decent night's sleep.

I just bought a small popup tent for flying camping. It sets up in 10 seconds and lies flat on the floor when not in use. They are about 75cm diameter when put away and only about 3cm thick.

• Agree 2

Swags are good but take up too much room if space is limited, best bet is an air mattress as mentioned above with a sleeping bag. As long as you aren't short of breath:boring:as far as tents go that seems to be pretty well 'covered' by others:doh: but those little two person dome tents are getting pretty small and easy to set up.

• Like 1

Yes I use a small dome tent but have to get myself a mattress of sorts looking at those egg shell foam things !

And a small sleeping bag blow up pillow a head lamp or led light & change of cloths that about it but when with wifey that enother story but we still manage to get it all in under weight limits "just "

image.jpg.76286d8390916537e10c0b72e7f75a83.jpg

Just a tip ,with ya tent don't set up ya tent so the dew runs off the wing onto the top of ya tent make shore your not under the drip line .

• Like 2

I have used a tarp over the wing and it is inhibiting, in that if you want to go fly, you have to make everything safe. A small dome type tent is no heavier than a tarp and easier to pitch, plus it can be left standing when you fly.

A "Thermarest" mattress is ideal. it is open cell and self inflates when you unroll it. A lot warmer than an air mattress and also very comfortable. The seat in my Corby is made of Confor foam, designed to be used as a mattress if necessary, but is a bit short, leaving my lower legs unsupported.

A good down sleeping bag is light and well insulating.

For cooking I have a hexamine stove, but have never used it. I believe the gas stoves which can be screwed on and off a small cylinder are OK at the low altitudes we fly at and it is legal for us to make a safety assesment about them.

Pillow consists of my spare and unworn clothes.

A LED light can be made to run off your 12V electrics and uses very little power. I bought 12V MR16 I think they are called, 4 for $25 from Mitre Ten and made one into a torch running off a motor cycle type battery. I have been using it for over a month and the voltage is still 12V.

• Like 1

Guest Maj Millard

I have the same dome tent as Doug above...big enough once your inside...pretty light...cheep !.......and quick and easy to set up. I'm getting used to it now and haven't worn it out yet.

It's been to Old Station a couple of times and to Natfly twice now and off again to Old Station in a couple of weeks !......Maj...014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

I have used a tarp over the wing and it is inhibiting, in that if you want to go fly, you have to make everything safe. A small dome type tent is no heavier than a tarp and easier to pitch, plus it can be left standing when you fly.A "Thermarest" mattress is ideal. it is open cell and self inflates when you unroll it. A lot warmer than an air mattress and also very comfortable. The seat in my Corby is made of Confor foam, designed to be used as a mattress if necessary, but is a bit short, leaving my lower legs unsupported.

A good down sleeping bag is light and well insulating.

For cooking I have a hexamine stove, but have never used it. I believe the gas stoves which can be screwed on and off a small cylinder are OK at the low altitudes we fly at and it is legal for us to make a safety assesment about them.

Pillow consists of my spare and unworn clothes.

A LED light can be made to run off your 12V electrics and uses very little power. I bought 12V MR16 I think they are called, 4 for $25 from Mitre Ten and made one into a torch running off a motor cycle type battery. I have been using it for over a month and the voltage is still 12V.

Howdy Yenn, I've always been impressed to see Corbies come long distances to fly-ins and carry basic camping gear. The Corby is even smaller than my Jodel, and it has very limited carrying capacity. Everything you carry has to be minimal weight and compressable.