New C206 crash near Wilpena Pound

Has anybody heard more about this crash? I guess the following sums it up?

Summary

The ATSB has commenced an investigation into a collision with an airfield structure involving a Cessna C206, VH-TND at Rawnsley Park, South Australia on 2 August 2014.

The Cessna 206 was conducting a scenic flight from Rawnsley Park ALA. There was a pilot and two passengers on board. The pilot approached to land in windy conditions. Just after touchdown, the aircraft drifted across the runway, and the pilot initiated a missed approach. During the missed approach, the aircraft struck the wind sock and then collided with terrain. One passenger sustained minor injuries and the aircraft was substantially damaged.

As part of the investigation, the ATSB will be interviewing the pilot and passengers, obtaining weather data, and an operator report.

A report will be released within several months.

I saw a cessna do the same thing less crashing a couple of weeks ago easy enuff with lots of weight on board or any time for thats matter

206's actually handle better with a decent weight on board. Landing with full flap in a lightly loaded 206 in a 10-15 kt x/w can be exciting too

happy days,

206's actually handle better with a decent weight on board. Landing with full flap in a lightly loaded 206 in a 10-15 kt x/w can be exciting toohappy days,

Not as exciting as in an Auster, Potsy!

I'm heading up through there on the weekend if I throw off the dreaded lurgie that laid me low a few days ago.

I'm going to a conference in Alice for 5 days then heading to the thermal springs of Mataranka before coming home through the Gulf.

Kaz

• Helpful 1

I saw a cessna do the same thing less crashing a couple of weeks ago easy enuff with lots of weight on board or any time for thats matter

What the hell does that statement mean Deb or whoever you are ...

Not as exciting as in an Auster, Potsy!I'm heading up through there on the weekend if I throw off the dreaded lurgie that laid me low a few days ago.

I'm going to a conference in Alice for 5 days then heading to the thermal springs of Mataranka before coming home through the Gulf.

Kaz

No question about that. My TIF and 1st lesson at RQAC in 1963 were in an Auster and it was definitely exciting. Since then, only flown an Auster a few, (rare) times - but I definitely have more adrenaline pumping on those occasions. Sounds like a great trip. happy days,

Well worthwhile reading "We of the Never Never" before you go to Mataranka, then watching the film sitting in the movie set of the station homestead - an emotional experience - the characters on which it is based are buried in a cemetary a couple of kilometres away on Elsie Station, and that really ties the whole story together.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

No question about that. My TIF and 1st lesson at RQAC in 1963 were in an Auster and it was definitely exciting. Since then, only flown an Auster a few, (rare) times - but I definitely have more adrenaline pumping on those occasions. Sounds like a great trip. happy days,

I have a great idea Potts,

I'll fly my Auster to WA and you can train me in a low level rating. That way you can have an interesting trip down memory lane while you give me a hard time in flying training. LOL.

David I saw a 206 come In to land and when they did the flare it drifted off to the side and then worse when they did the go around. They ended up close to the wind sockIt was pretty scary to watch and got caught on the airport video system

I guess the 206 must be a bad design then? Wouldn't have anything to do with the piloting ... would it?

Well worthwhile reading "We of the Never Never" before you go to Mataranka, then watching the film sitting in the movie set of the station homestead - an emotional experience - the characters on which it is based are buried in a cemetary a couple of kilometres away on Elsie Station, and that really ties the whole story together.

Thanks, Turbs 101_thank_you.gif.0bf9113ab8c9fe9c7ebb42709fda3359.gif

I too grew up on Mrs Aeneas Gunn's writings and still have my copies of We of the Never Never, and the Little Black Princess.

My old dad had a great deal to do with Aboriginal people in his early life and during the War and I have had a strong interest in all things Outback since.

My main experience is in the semi-arid regions, including several years running cattle in the Upper Gascoyne of WA, and in the south-east of Australia, but I have travelled most of it except the area north of Tennant Creek up into Arnhem Land where I am heading for soon.

When my dad passed, he left me some killing boomerangs and beads he got in Hermannsburg after the War along with some artwork. There is a 1952 water colour of the Macdonnell Ranges by Rex Batterbee who taught Namatjira at Hermannsburg; and a beautiful colour pastel on black velvet by Anton Lees of Gwoja Tjungurrayi who was immortalised as One Pound Jimmy on postage stamps during the 1950's. Worth googling his story as he was the sole survivor of a massacre of dozens of his people during a period the Warlpiri still call the killing times.

I also have click sticks some Arrernte boys made for me after I looked after them during the Bicentennial Cattle Drive and two Warlpiri dot paintings friends did for me. One of these paintings is of the Stick-nest rat dreaming and was painted by Greg Tjapaljarri who is Gwoja's great nephew, and the other is the Honey Ant dreaming painted by Gwoja's female relative, Jakamarra.

Memories, Turbs...I must be getting old.

Kaz

• Like 1

I have a great idea Potts,I'll fly my Auster to WA and you can train me in a low level rating. That way you can have an interesting trip down memory lane while you give me a hard time in flying training. LOL.

If you call in and collect me for the trip I'll give you that wind generator I'm keeping for you.

That will also avoid you getting lost out there in big country.

Kaz

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

The 206 does not have a landing fault

Actually, the early models of the 206 did have an elevator problem which caused many heavy landings on the nosewheel with consequent firewall damage. Back many years, the old Aviation Safety Digest featured the high number of C182 accidents due to allowing the aircraft to thump down on all 3 wheels together or the nosewheel slightly first. With the 205 and early 206 on a sloping strip - there was not enough elevator to allow a full roundout. This was worse if full flap was used, and loadings were forward. Full back trim wouldn't allow a stabilised IAS on a power off approach. Worst case was empty rear seats, lighties in centre seats, and pod only with light freight. Trim fully back on final, then there was simply not enough elevator command to hold the nose off as power was reduced. We got around this by loading more rearward, using half flap only, and rounding out with some power still on. As a result of this, we found that the latter loading also gave us better control in crosswinds as we could keep the nosewheel off, until well after the into wind mainwheel was on, and the aircraft settled onto both mains.

The 182, 205, 206 are all very nose heavy with light loadings. For training, (to simulate a full load), I usually place 2-3 x 20L water drums in the cargo compartment or tied onto the rear 2 seats of the 6 seaters. You'll have an idea of whether you have neutral trim by looking at the elevator horn position in cruise - it should be flush/hidden by the horizontal stabiliser, and the trim position indicator in the midway location. You need enough weight to the rear so that it's possible to trim for a stabilised, low power on, approach of 65-70 KIAS and still have some elevator command remain at roundout.

Conclusion: IMHO, accidents will continue with the 'heavy' Cessnas because pilots, (it seems young CPL's in particular), are not receiving the full quid in their type training. The old method of requiring a 'proper' endorsement for these aircraft was probably a safer approach than just giving someone a few laps of a 5000 ft strip on a fine day. I seriously doubt that pilots are being comprehensively trained to handle these aircraft in all conditions.

happy days,

If you call in and collect me for the trip I'll give you that wind generator I'm keeping for you. That will also avoid you getting lost out there in big country.

He's already a hot air generator Kaz; if the two of you fly over, I'll take my International B275 tractor with a trailer for spares, fuel etc, and scout ahead of you each day for landing sites.

Whereabouts in the South East Kaz?

• Haha 2

If you call in and collect me for the trip I'll give you that wind generator I'm keeping for you.That will also avoid you getting lost out there in big country.

Kaz

You are on sweetpea. The problem will be me getting off my ass. LOL

• Haha 1

He's already a hot air generator Kaz; if the two of you fly over, I'll take my International B275 tractor with a trailer for spares, fuel etc, and scout ahead of you each day for landing sites.Whereabouts in the South East Kaz?

The B275 would never cut it, Turbs. You need the old Chamberlain with the 6-354 Perkins and the road gear to keep up. The ready supply of oil would probably be handy, though...you know what these English engines are like.

I'm in Shepparton these days but spent quite a bit of my life in the middle and upper Yarra Valley areas. I keep on having silly dreams about moving far away again but I am not young anymore.

If you are young and you want a real life then head to places where the roads are dirt and fences are lines on a map.

Kaz

• Agree 4

Guest ozzie

Driving up the freeway one night and came across an Army front loader cruising at 100kph, double looked when i saw it was a Lambo.

206......approached to land in windy conditions.....aircraft drifted across the runway........pilot hit gas.....hit wind sock.......then had an accident.

Not so keen on the 206 after hearing about those little elevators

• Haha 1