X-Air Hanuman

Geoff13

Thanks to BA's links I have now calibrated the ASI on the ground at least. It reads perfectly from 10 to 100 Knots in 10 Knot increments.It also held pressure for over 15 minutes at three of those readings with no problems.

So if my calculations in the air are correct then the error I am getting is an installation problem. So I have now relocated the pitot and static and will go out tomorrow if it is fine with a strategy for measuring airspeed by using GPS ground speed measurements.

The right wing down problem has been solved. I am not sure how because I had not noticed it before but with the plane level and the joystick/ailerons central using a spirit level I found the right hand flap to be higher than the left. The right hand one required me to take 2 turns out of the flap control linkage to level it with the aileron. The left flap is still a smidgen high (approx 1 turn) but I want to fly it a bit more before adjusting that.

I now have 16.5 hours up with one Xcountry in that mix. 3 hours for 46 litres which gives me an endurance well outside the range of my bladder. I am very happy with the overall package and apart from some minor adjustments I think this plane will end up being more than I ever expected. I can't give any real performance figures yet until I actually confirm the ASI. As for climbing, compared to everything else I have flown it is awesome.

One happy camper 017_happy_dance.gif.8a199466e9bd67cc25ecc8b442db76ba.gif093_celebrate.gif.b819cda4acf84f8ea794b849a8b7287c.gif080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

Hi Geoff maybe make sure the pitot tube is well forward of the leading edge, on the nynjas we need to do this; however if it was in the same position as before and depending on where your static ports are they may be affected by air flow due to your reshaped engine cowls???

Enjoy tomorrows flights.

Cheers

Mike

• Helpful 1

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to BA's links I have now calibrated the ASI on the ground at least. It reads perfectly from 10 to 100 Knots in 10 Knot increments.It also held pressure for over 15 minutes at three of those readings with no problems.

So if my calculations in the air are correct then the error I am getting is an installation problem. So I have now relocated the pitot and static and will go out tomorrow if it is fine with a strategy for measuring airspeed by using GPS ground speed measurements.

The right wing down problem has been solved. I am not sure how because I had not noticed it before but with the plane level and the joystick/ailerons central using a spirit level I found the right hand flap to be higher than the left. The right hand one required me to take 2 turns out of the flap control linkage to level it with the aileron. The left flap is still a smidgen high (approx 1 turn) but I want to fly it a bit more before adjusting that.

I now have 16.5 hours up with one Xcountry in that mix. 3 hours for 46 litres which gives me an endurance well outside the range of my bladder. I am very happy with the overall package and apart from some minor adjustments I think this plane will end up being more than I ever expected. I can't give any real performance figures yet until I actually confirm the ASI. As for climbing, compared to everything else I have flown it is awesome.

One happy camper 017_happy_dance.gif.8a199466e9bd67cc25ecc8b442db76ba.gif093_celebrate.gif.b819cda4acf84f8ea794b849a8b7287c.gif080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

Hi Geoff maybe make sure the pitot tube is well forward of the leading edge, on the nynjas we need to do this; however if it was in the same position as before and depending on where your static ports are they may be affected by air flow due to your reshaped engine cowls???

Enjoy tomorrows flights.

Cheers

Mike

Thanks Mike. The plane has a fairly standard Aircraft Spruce combined Pitot/Static setup.

They are mounted on the strut and sit forward of the strut by about 4 inches. They were mounted right at the top of the strut under the leading edge of the wing. I have moved them down the strut to about halfway and will give that a try. With it mounted where it was I was getting very inconsistent readings, so before I can get accurate readings for calibration I guess I need to get steady/consistent readings. Will let you know how it goes.

The inconsistent ASI reading actually predate the modifications so I really am starting from scratch. The bonus is that today when doing the on ground checks with the manometer I had a new ASI as well as my old one. All three instruments were accurate with each other to within 2% which is probably more accurate then my ability to read the scales anyway. This convinces me that it is an installation problem and is fixable. Plenty of trail and error coming up here. I will probably have some questions after tomorrows tests, depending on the results but at least I have a test procedure to follow thanks to Dr Google.

Thanks Mike. The plane has a fairly standard Aircraft Spruce combined Pitot/Static setup.

They are mounted on the strut and sit forward of the strut by about 4 inches. They were mounted right at the top of the strut under the leading edge of the wing. I have moved them down the strut to about halfway and will give that a try. With it mounted where it was I was getting very inconsistent readings, so before I can get accurate readings for calibration I guess I need to get steady/consistent readings. Will let you know how it goes.

The inconsistent ASI reading actually predate the modifications so I really am starting from scratch. The bonus is that today when doing the on ground checks with the manometer I had a new ASI as well as my old one. All three instruments were accurate with each other to within 2% which is probably more accurate then my ability to read the scales anyway. This convinces me that it is an installation problem and is fixable. Plenty of trail and error coming up here. I will probably have some questions after tomorrows tests, depending on the results but at least I have a test procedure to follow thanks to Dr Google.

Thanks Mike. The plane has a fairly standard Aircraft Spruce combined Pitot/Static setup.They are mounted on the strut and sit forward of the strut by about 4 inches. They were mounted right at the top of the strut under the leading edge of the wing. I have moved them down the strut to about halfway and will give that a try. With it mounted where it was I was getting very inconsistent readings, so before I can get accurate readings for calibration I guess I need to get steady/consistent readings. Will let you know how it goes.

Hi Geoff I'm no expert but if after today is not better; perhaps try at top of strut area and make the tube longer. (150 or 125 mm to get into the undisturbed air) The Xair I've flown (582 up top) has its pitots down above and to the side of the nose wheel tyre and works good. I personally don't like that position as its down low in the grass and other crap. I expect you have seen these images on the xair site.

Regards

Mike

138539620_Xairpitot.jpg.bc80fd8b25b9a0fd2fc61546a60a13d2.jpg

1716636909_Xairpitot2.jpg.ded737029bc7e11a75a085a3feab369c.jpg

1106370950_Xairpitot3.jpg.959d72207c788930d7a0f431257710e9.jpg

Well I now have 25 hours up on her. The ASI is now accurate up to 50 knots so still a bit of work to do but I am sure that I will get it right eventually.

Stalling at 35 knots clean but it does tend to drop the left wing a little. Reasonably easy to get on the ground inside 300' when I do everything right. I have solved the right wing down problem and it is flying hands off at around 80 - 85 knots cruise.

Climbs at 1200 feet per minute at 65 knots, I have not been game to try climbing at the recommended 54 knots yet but will try that at height and see how it goes. (at 65 knots it feels like I am laying on my back) But 1200 fpm is about 3 times better than I ever got with the Jabiru motor.

The next thing is to do a 25 hour service. In fact I intend to give it another 100 hourly for my own piece of mind. That is monday's job. Then I intend to remove all the quick release pins for the folding wings and fit tighter fitting bolts. That is only for my own piece of mind and not for any real reason. I am just not 100% comfortable with the current setup. After that I will be happy to take her anywhere.

At this stage i have not ever deployed the third stage of flaps. To be honest I don't think I really know why it would need three stages but they are there so I will give it a go sometime.

Todays flight was pure indulgence. Last year I was camping at the Gympie muster when I got my RPC and I promised myself that this year I would fly over the site in my own plane. Today I did that. Then I flew to Nanango with some friends 5 other planes in all for some go cart racing, then on to Watts Bridge for their flyin.

I remember as I landed at Nanango and taxied up to one of my former instructors, I commented that I love my little plane. Well I do and I can see her and I doing many hours together. I have further plans but at this point in my journey to the clouds I am one very happy owner driver.

So from Hanuman, the Monkey God fly high and fly well and may all your landings be soft.

• Like 1
  • Winner 2

• 4 months later...

For those interested in my journey today is 1 year since flew to Orange to pick up my Hanuman. On NYE 2014 I did a couple of circuits with Ozbear (the previous owner) and then after deciding that I couldn't fly it from the right hand seat, I kicked him out and did a few circuits on my own. Comfortable with that we arranged to meet at sunup New Years Day and I would head off on my journey home which is chronicled above.

When I lined up on Orange runway on 01 Jan last year the Hobbs meter was on exactly 80 hours. On the day before Australia Day when she went into the hanger for the engine swap it was on exactly 100 hours.

Again as I have previously detailed my estimated 3 weeks work blew out until 08 Aug. So 7.5 months to do a 3 weeks job. But the proof is in the pudding I guess. Now on the eve of her anniversary she has 188.7 hours on the meter. It would be more but the weather this last week has been not so good for flying.

So since the engine change, just under 90 hours of faultless flying (faultless by the aircraft at least as I am still learning and have many faults) and she is everything that I had ever hoped for.

When I bought her my plan was to bring her home, do a quick engine swap, then head of to Perth to collect the CAGIT trophy then sell it on within 12 months or so when I had decided what plane I really wanted.

Well whilst she was in the shop the CAGIT moved to Geralton the on to Heck Field and Bathurst. It was still in Bathurst when I felt comfotable to head of and get it but in the week that I was planning to go get it, a post came up on the CAGIT F/book page that someone was on his way down from Darwin to grab it and as such it would have been unsporting to go and snatch it. By the time it arrived back in Darwin I decided that it was to close to the wrong season to try for it, so it is still in Darwin but believe me I am watching the weather and as soon as I am comfortable that the window to get is to big enough then I am on my way. So my plan is still to get the CAGIT trophy but instead of being in the first 12 months of my flying journey it will take me twice as long.

So back to the Hanuman. What a plane. It is so much more than I had hoped for and I love it. There are other aircraft I would like to have a go at but my little Hanuman still does everything I want her to do. If anyone is looking for a good cheap aircraft that has very good STOL performance, can fly at 85 IAS and be comfortable with a good 4 hrs endurance you would do well to look at one of these, and No mine is not for sale. And the fact that it has almost 250 kgs carrying capacity does not hurt one bit either. If anyone is thinking of buying one just send me a pm and I would be more than happy to take you for a fly. Or for that matter if anyone just wants to go flying, same thing just send me a pm and I will let you know when I am going. I must admit though that I often go at very short notice, and very early in the morning. I often wake early and if the weather looks good outside I haead to the field. I like to take off into the sunrise and can fly for and hour or 3 and still be back on the ground by 8 am.

Anyway it is NYE again, tonight I shall have a scotch which I couldn't do last year with the planned early start. Tonight I shall dream of being airbourne with the Monkey God.

Cheers and Happy New Year to you all.

• Like 7
  • Winner 2

For those interested in my journey today is 1 year since flew to Orange to pick up my Hanuman. On NYE 2014 I did a couple of circuits with Ozbear (the previous owner) and then after deciding that I couldn't fly it from the right hand seat, I kicked him out and did a few circuits on my own. Comfortable with that we arranged to meet at sunup New Years Day and I would head off on my journey home which is chronicled above.When I lined up on Orange runway on 01 Jan last year the Hobbs meter was on exactly 80 hours. On the day before Australia Day when she went into the hanger for the engine swap it was on exactly 100 hours.

Again as I have previously detailed my estimated 3 weeks work blew out until 08 Aug. So 7.5 months to do a 3 weeks job. But the proof is in the pudding I guess. Now on the eve of her anniversary she has 188.7 hours on the meter. It would be more but the weather this last week has been not so good for flying.

So since the engine change, just under 90 hours of faultless flying (faultless by the aircraft at least as I am still learning and have many faults) and she is everything that I had ever hoped for.

When I bought her my plan was to bring her home, do a quick engine swap, then head of to Perth to collect the CAGIT trophy then sell it on within 12 months or so when I had decided what plane I really wanted.

Well whilst she was in the shop the CAGIT moved to Geralton the on to Heck Field and Bathurst. It was still in Bathurst when I felt comfotable to head of and get it but in the week that I was planning to go get it, a post came up on the CAGIT F/book page that someone was on his way down from Darwin to grab it and as such it would have been unsporting to go and snatch it. By the time it arrived back in Darwin I decided that it was to close to the wrong season to try for it, so it is still in Darwin but believe me I am watching the weather and as soon as I am comfortable that the window to get is to big enough then I am on my way. So my plan is still to get the CAGIT trophy but instead of being in the first 12 months of my flying journey it will take me twice as long.

So back to the Hanuman. What a plane. It is so much more than I had hoped for and I love it. There are other aircraft I would like to have a go at but my little Hanuman still does everything I want her to do. If anyone is looking for a good cheap aircraft that has very good STOL performance, can fly at 85 IAS and be comfortable with a good 4 hrs endurance you would do well to look at one of these, and No mine is not for sale. And the fact that it has almost 250 kgs carrying capacity does not hurt one bit either. If anyone is thinking of buying one just send me a pm and I would be more than happy to take you for a fly. Or for that matter if anyone just wants to go flying, same thing just send me a pm and I will let you know when I am going. I must admit though that I often go at very short notice, and very early in the morning. I often wake early and if the weather looks good outside I haead to the field. I like to take off into the sunrise and can fly for and hour or 3 and still be back on the ground by 8 am.

Anyway it is NYE again, tonight I shall have a scotch which I couldn't do last year with the planned early start. Tonight I shall dream of being airbourne with the Monkey God.

Cheers and Happy New Year to you all.

I am glad you have had such a positive experience with the X-Air H. What engine ended up in her after all that?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
That should make your Hanuman a VSTOL plane!

Yes very much so.

Is there a lot of work adapting the X-Air to a 912 ULS?

In theory it is quite a simple fit. The kit has an option for Jabiru, Rotax 582 or Rotax 912. In my case it had the Jab motor but it came with the factory kit to change it over. Like I said in theory it is quite simple. In practice, not so much. I could do the next one in 1/4 of the time and probably 1/3 of the cost and 1/10 of the stress.

If you are buying a kit just get the kit for the Rotax 912 and no problem. (In theory) lol.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
You wouldn't have any photos of the Radiator/Oil cooler/muffler set up would you William?

Sorry Geoff I have not been on this forum for ages and just saw your post I am glad you have it all sorted now My Hanuman/hawk has the 80hp 912

I would have loved the 100hp motor but it has not been certified here in UK so cant fit it without major mod paperwork being done, mine climbs at 800/950 feet pm at 55knts but burns approx 10lph solo and 12 lph dual.

I will post a couple of pics of the engine setup etc if you are still interested and would love to see what you have done to yours but I really must agree I think it is a perfect all rounder.

Sorry again for not seeing the post when you needed the help

Regards

William

• Helpful 1

• 9 months later...

Well I am thinking of selling my Hanuman. I am in two minds because I still love flying her but at the moment there are two aircraft on the market that I would love to own.

I have had a huge week playing catchup all week after the storms that hit Port of Brisbane last sunday and am heading of to bed now. Tomorrow if I feel the same when I wake up I will do up a proper add for the classified section. But then again I might just go for a fly to Chinchilla for breakfast instead. Ahh flooded for choices. 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

WEll we know one is the fab S7 of Bretts whats the other one?

Well of course if I told you that I would have to shoot you wouldn't I.

Are you or Dan going to be at the field tomorrow?

• 8 months later...
Yes I did. Not good.Was hoping to talk to Dan about that one I would have to shoot you if I mentioned.

Apparently he knows it.

Do you still own the X-Air? ...or did you sell your plane??

Still got it. I must admit that I haven't tried to hard to sell it. Have done 20 hours in it in the last 3 weeks. I still love flying it , I just wanted to try something else.

Still got it. I must admit that I haven't tried to hard to sell it. Have done 20 hours in it in the last 3 weeks. I still love flying it , I just wanted to try something else.

What have you got in mind?