X-Air Hanuman

Geoff13

So the mods are progressing slowly.

I seem to spend more time thinking about what to do rather than doing it.

Today the old throttle came out as I am putting a centre dash mount throttle with splitter and dual cables incorporated.

Fitted the X-com but still need to wire it.

All gauges are fitted except water temp. (remembered today that I hadn't ordered one.) and Tacho. I bought a small tacho but want to fill the 3inch hole that was there so sourced one today (thanks Ozbear) and am waiting for that to arrive.

IMG_0904.JPG.e48f56df6fadb8c3fdc34024d1e33489.JPGThe box the kit came in from India.

IMG_0905.JPG.ce11ff6b7250a50ca34e89a23e0c129a.JPGOut with the old.

IMG_0907.JPG.3cbcc3a40914cebffdb874d9cb8850ae.JPGThe old mount

IMG_0909.JPG.ac6cdea1186fa32eab1239669e2f7c49.JPGResting on her tail just waiting.

IMG_0914.JPG.70b2bc70b835dce9a64880a419850c0e.JPGDummy fit of the new donk. Note the gearbox has been stripped for the 1000 hour inspection. Engine has been checked and uprated to 2000 hour. Just checking positioning of the oil cooler.

IMG_0915.JPG.048c4426c4c208aa69367437b86fb202.JPGPhoto of the old gauges before I start ripping them out.

IMG_0917.JPG.a48a121e6982517ad555231ea17fa4cc.JPGDummy fit of Oil Cooler and Radiator

IMG_0930.JPG.693c620da5cd168253b6cb61335fbd8f.JPGSome cowl mods.

IMG_0931.JPG.64bcaea3760400f2c34355ff48f1d168.JPGAs you can see the Rotax sits a lot higher than the Jabiru

IMG_0941.JPG.49e7c6d7c38126151064e0974457cbdc.JPGEngine back out so I can get in and redo the instruments.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I had hoped to be flying it by this weekend but now I can see why everyone laughed when I suggested that. (Thats the trouble when work calls)

At least now that I am certainly going to miss the self imposed window that I had set, I can now sit back and enjoy the process of fitting it together again.

I have a picture in my mind of what it should end up like so it will be interesting to see over the next few weeks.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I spent the best part of 2 weeks replacing all of the wiring. All the old rubber coated wire is gone and it is now replaced with teflon coated wire. Every joint has been crimped and soldered. Finished all that yesterday and dummy fitted the top half of the firewall. I stopped there as I needed to get some heat resistant sealant. I woke up in a cold sweat at 3am this morning thinking "you dumb arze". I need to hook a battery up before I go to far and see if any smoke gets out. We all know electronics works on smoke and mirrors and if you let the smoke out it stops working.

Well after about 4 hours today testing every circuit they all did exactly as they should except the tacho. I cant actually test that until the motor goes in as I don't have a pulse generater. I did realise as I worked through the circuit diagram though that I had missed the 12volt sense wire from key switch to regulator. How happy do you think I was that I had run 3 spare wires.

So wiring all complete to the firewall.

Fuel line upgraded to genuine fuel line and flow test conducted. We get 210 litres per hour with the plane sitting on its tail which is way past stall attitude and the recepticale a foot above fuel pump height. That should be enough. New fuel tap and filter fitted.

Fuel return line fitted.

All joints a fittings have been physically checked and tested. To do the rear fuselage this involved me crawling over the fuel tank and right to the back of the fuse with torch and camera in hand. I did find 1 rivet that needed replacing so it was not a wasted effort.

I have actually done far more than I needed to do just to get it flying. But I feel good about everything in her now and think I will end up with a far better plane for the time and effort spent.

Tomorrow finish off the firewall, seal everything with heat resistant sealant and hopefully fit the motor to mark out where the throttle cables will come through. The motor will probably need to come back out jus to drill those two holes but I am getting the hang of that now. I might not get much further than that for the next month as from the end of next week I am away for three weeks. So I will update again for those interested whenn I have something further to report,

• Like 5

I spent the best part of 2 weeks replacing all of the wiring. All the old rubber coated wire is gone and it is now replaced with teflon coated wire. Every joint has been crimped and soldered. Finished all that yesterday and dummy fitted the top half of the firewall. I stopped there as I needed to get some heat resistant sealant. I woke up in a cold sweat at 3am this morning thinking "you dumb arze". I need to hook a battery up before I go to far and see if any smoke gets out. We all know electronics works on smoke and mirrors and if you let the smoke out it stops working. Well after about 4 hours today testing every circuit they all did exactly as they should except the tacho. I cant actually test that until the motor goes in as I don't have a pulse generater. I did realise as I worked through the circuit diagram though that I had missed the 12volt sense wire from key switch to regulator. How happy do you think I was that I had run 3 spare wires.

So wiring all complete to the firewall.

Fuel line upgraded to genuine fuel line and flow test conducted. We get 210 litres per hour with the plane sitting on its tail which is way past stall attitude and the recepticale a foot above fuel pump height. That should be enough. New fuel tap and filter fitted.

Fuel return line fitted.

All joints a fittings have been physically checked and tested. To do the rear fuselage this involved me crawling over the fuel tank and right to the back of the fuse with torch and camera in hand. I did find 1 rivet that needed replacing so it was not a wasted effort.

I have actually done far more than I needed to do just to get it flying. But I feel good about everything in her now and think I will end up with a far better plane for the time and effort spent.

Tomorrow finish off the firewall, seal everything with heat resistant sealant and hopefully fit the motor to mark out where the throttle cables will come through. The motor will probably need to come back out jus to drill those two holes but I am getting the hang of that now. I might not get much further than that for the next month as from the end of next week I am away for three weeks. So I will update again for those interested whenn I have something further to report,

Hi Geoff

Sometimes for holes in hard to get places you can use a dremel with the extension calble atachment??

Good to hear your close to finished.

Cheers

Mike

Mike

• 1 month later...

Ok. I am back and into it again. The engine has been refitted, with accelerator and choke cables now fed through to the correct side of the firewall.

I decided that I wasn't happy with the position of the fuel tap, so I have rerun all the fuel lines and mounted the tap where it can be not only be seen from the pilots seat but can also be reached from same. You could do neither before. I have also covered the fuel lines that run under the crew compartment in fire resistant tube.

Electrically I have added a master switch. I have also added an led to tell me when there is power to the starter motor side of the solenoid. This gives me the opportunity to kill electrical power if the start solenoid shorts out. This could save the starter motor and/or prevent an electrical fire. It is a little trick I fit to all my trucks after burning out a $1200.00 starter motor because of a $50.00 solenoid. I replaced the Jabiru regulator with a genuine Rotax one. It wasn't really necessary but it made everything conform to the wiring diagram without modification. I still have to fit the big Capacitor and run the wires to the motor.

The muffler was another nightmare. I had a muffler come with the motor but for the life of me I could not make it fit. So then I started measuring googling and dreaming about other options. The best I could come up with was the flat muffler from a Savannah, but after a kind person (Thanks Danny) loaned me one I couldn't make that fit either. More help from Mr Google got me onto someone in Europe who had done the conversion, and he pointed me to the genuine Rotax item. So another lightening of the wallet and about 20 plus hours of cutting welding fitting and cursing I believe I now have a working muffler. Just on that it has been suggested by the radiator man that I should ceramic coat my aluminium radiator pipes, should I or can I even do the same with the stainless steel exhaust pipes. Does anyone know?

So now I am up cutting slicing and welding the solid radiator pipes and fitting those. Then the Oil lines and hey you know I think she is about 90% done so only 90% to go. That is how it seems to be. I will try and get some more photos tomorrow and post them so long as work doesn't get in the way again.

• Like 1

Geoff I got some asbestos type flat tape and wrapped my exhaust pipes with it where it came near anything to stop the radiated heat. They are wired on with lockwire it works very well...it was another Danny idea I also used myself. Danny knows where to get it from. He did it on his Sav...thats where I saw it. If I catch up over the next couple of days I will show you

• 1 month later...

David

I have been very slack. The plane went to the fiberglasser about 6 weeks ago. He had it for 3 weeks to remodel the upper and lower cowls. These are now done and ready for paint. We are not going to paint them however until the plane has been flown and we are happy with the cooling. I have had it back for 3 weeks now and with feeling a bit off colour I really haven't done much to it. I was up there today and have made up a list of things to do. In fact there are 3 lists.

Things to do before first start, things to do before power runs and things to do before first flight.

It has been really unlike me but since coming back from my month away in April I have really found it difficult to get back into it. I will admit that after making my lists up today I am keen to get back on the job and getting excited by the possibility of running very soon. I must try and get some more photos up.

• Like 2

You bet! But it has to be checked and re-checked until totally happy with it.

We wouldn't want it any other way.

Only then can the cork go "pop", and the smile of satisfaction get even bigger.

Can't wait to see all the photo's.

Kind Regards

Planey

• 2 weeks later...

So I made my lists. List 1 had 31 items on it. I have been full noise at it since making my lists up. As I said started with 31 items, added another 15 or so along the way. I spent most of today chasing a fault that was totally in my own imagination. I primed the oil system and when turning the motor over I was not getting enough oil pressure. After about 4 hours I gave up and rang my L2 mate, he assures me that considering the number of Revs the reading that I had was enough to give it a run. Feeling just a little bit excited, a whole heap of terrified and a fair amount of trepidation, but failing rain or hail, tomorrow morning I intend to give her a run. Not a lot just enough to check that the engine instruments all work and temps and pressures get into a good spot within a reasonable time frame.

A sneek peek at the work done to the cowl for those who are interested. It cost me a mortage on my first born but to be honest, I think it was a fair trade. LOL.

X1.JPG.df9359c4351e38e8f14448bff59c1fc3.JPG

As you can see the list is still stuck to the windscreen. Thank you for that bit of advice Jim 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

X2.JPG.dd3449a383ec87276163ab84b1b03049.JPG

x3.JPG.10107447b710fb858efdb0a1949dfeee.JPG

• Like 4

Well the motor started (Just).

Once we got it running everything seemed good temps ok, oil pressure ok, charging, gauges all working but a possible problem with the tacho. The carbies will need balancing obviously but in light of the fact that engine needs to come back out that little task can wait. It seems that wi have a stuffed Sprag Clutch. During my due diligence I found that the Sprag Clutch had been replace 300 hours back so didn't inspect or have that inspected before going ahead. We rebuild the gearbox and the carbies but decided to leave the back end alone. So I suppose that was a bad decision even though I still think that I made it for the right reasons. So tomorrow it comes out again and we pull the back end of and make a new list of parts.

Well the motor started (Just).Once we got it running everything seemed good temps ok, oil pressure ok, charging, gauges all working but a possible problem with the tacho. The carbies will need balancing obviously but in light of the fact that engine needs to come back out that little task can wait. It seems that wi have a stuffed Sprag Clutch. During my due diligence I found that the Sprag Clutch had been replace 300 hours back so didn't inspect or have that inspected before going ahead. We rebuild the gearbox and the carbies but decided to leave the back end alone. So I suppose that was a bad decision even though I still think that I made it for the right reasons. So tomorrow it comes out again and we pull the back end of and make a new list of parts.

That is a bit sad 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif Geoff. I hope you are able to get it all sorted without costing you an arm and a leg.