AIRCRAFT REFUELLING PRACTICES

DonRamsay

So, if you are refuelling a metal aircraft that's been in the hangar for a week, from plastic jerry can, through a plastic Mr Funnel perhaps the thing that most needs earthing is the person doing the refuelling?

Plastic rubbing against the synthetic carpet in your car boot can generate static and the plane can pick up a good charge ripping through the sky.

I'm always a bit anxious with plastic containers. If they are not empty you are better off as the vapour is rich. If you get a flame it just plays around the opening A rag over it will exclude the oxygen and it's out. Don't panic and spill fuel if something goes wrong. Nev

• Agree 1

Sorry about that. I tried from the iPad - try again from the PC . . .

This bulletin from Ops is all very well but in the discussion about the last similar fire event experienced by Bluey it was noted that earth bonding the plastic tanks didn't work and the better way to discharge static from them was by wiping them with a damp rag before opening the fuel cap, see below -

One way to 'wipe' a static charge off a plastic surface is to give it a wipe with a damp rag. Might be an idea to keep a small water bottle and a rag handy for dry days.

That is a top idea head in the clouds. The evaporating moisture will remove charge just as would happen on days of high humidity.

I just tried it and it worked perfectly. I first showed that a charge could be induced on the drum using hair as before (no earthing). After I was satisfied that the drum indeed could be charged I then wiped the surface of the drum using a lightly damp cloth. Charging by the same method as before failed to induce any charge what so ever!Just be sure to wipe the surface of the nozzle too if you use one.

• Informative 2
  • Caution 1

Reminds me of a few zaps when getting out of my motor vehicle lesson learnt always grab the top,of the door prior to placing your feet on the the ground the result is you will not get zapped as you have earthed it out

• Informative 1

this popped up in my inbox yesterday

http://www.frasercoastchronicle.com.au/news/man-burnt-while-refuelling-plane-maryborough-airpo/2429671/

UPDATE: A Maryborough man has been airlifted to a Brisbane Hospital after he caught on fire while refuelling his aircraft at the Maryborough Aero Club.

Maryborough Fire Station Officer Dennis Pamenter said the 50-year-old received burns to his face and hands, while pouring fuel into his Micro light Airborne XT-912.

He said the fire had been put out by the time crews had arrived on Thursday afternoon. Queensland Ambulance Service officers began treating the man on the scene.

It's understood the injured man was refuelling his aircraft when static electricity from the bowser sparked the small fire.

Sergeant Steve Webb, officer in charge of the Wide Bay Forensic Crash Unit, said the man's burns were severe but not believed to be life-threatening.

Sgt Webb said while part of the man's body had been on fire, it could have been much worse.

An RACQ CareFlight Rescue helicopter from the Sunshine Coast was tasked to the scene about 4.15pm to retrieve the man from QAS.

Initial emergency service calls had wrongly indicated an aircraft was down at the Maryborough airport.

It is not known how the blaze was extinguished or the exact cause

Guest Maj Millard
How long after the incident did Darren post this notice? That's what I call timely.

It was released on 24 October 2014......about two weeks after the last refuelling incident at Marybourgh.

Actually my mistake !!!..........it was released the same day !!!.......can't bitch about that now can we......well done Darren ....