Virgin Galactic , co pilot killed

Pretty sad.. It was the only real promising space program happening at the moment. This sort of thing comes at a cost, I hope they can recover and continue on..

They have had losses in this program before when a test engine exploded in a bunker some 10 years ago.

You would need some pretty sizable genitalia to test such a machine, my hats off to all these guys.

• Agree 2

My opinion.... I reckon not even the obviously brave and risk accepting Richard Branson will be silly enough to stick passengers in this thing. I love the machine...just can't see it as being commercially certified to the same level as a regular RPT aircraft any time soon sadly.

I hope I am wrong...but I believe they jumped the gun on this...sure glad for that...but I don't think the safety margin is good enough for passenger ops yet.

What we need is a very smart person in invent a fusion reactor, I think that's the right one, the same reaction that goes on in the Sun and produces no radiation issues, after they plonk one of them on the tail of a rocket then I may be comfortable to go into space !!!! radioactive.gif.1acc918ae505c8835a1c29d9312871c0.gif

David

• Caution 1

Reports are saying appears to have been only a small anomaly in the firing sequence that was enough to disturb the craft's structure and aerodynamic drag tore the compromised structure apart.

SpaceShipTwo.jpg.e171e98bd53234d83d976e5a5270f7a1.jpg

It never could be, by the very nature of it. All the space programmes have been very risky, and probably luck has been involved too. If you want airline safety levels applied, it won't happen. Nev

That is what Virgin Galactic has been claiming and aiming for Nev.

Reporters opinion, make of it what you will.

Reporter expressing her opinion obviously ignorant of the medium called satellites, but happy to know that her voice will reach millions of ears, all around the globe.

Many people died during the space program and the flight programs leading up to her being able to use that medium to have her voice heard, some one should mention that to her and all the other endeavors beyond known limits that man has achieved, and died for, to make her life what it is today.

• Like 1

I read it could nave been the changeover in the fuel going from a rubber based fuel to a more synthetic type fuel which may have contributed to the explosion.Pretty sure

they will sort it out as they did with the early Gemini program disasters prior to the Apollo moon landing.

What we need is a very smart person in invent a fusion reactor, I think that's the right one, the same reaction that goes on in the Sun and produces no radiation issues, after they plonk one of them on the tail of a rocket then I may be comfortable to go into space !!!! radioactive.gif.1acc918ae505c8835a1c29d9312871c0.gif

David

They're already working on it: http://sploid.gizmodo.com/lockheed-martins-new-fusion-reactor-might-change-humani-1646578094

A compact fusion reactor developed by Skunk Works, the stealth experimental technology division of Lockheed Martin. It's the size of a jet engine and it can power airplanes, spaceships, and cities. Skunk Works claims it will be operative in 10 years.

On the topic of this accident - it looks like it might have been a pilot error:

Just before SpaceShipTwo broke apart in midair Friday, the tail lifted prematurely after the co-pilot changed the aerodynamic controls, the leader of the National Transportation Safety Board said Sunday night.

Two levers were supposed to be pulled when the spacecraft reached Mach 1.4, allowing an action called "feathering" -- which lifts the tail to slow descent and create drag. Instead, a video in the cockpit and other data showed that one of the levers was unlocked early at Mach 1.0, NTSB Acting Chairman Christopher Hart told reporters.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-virgin-galactic-executive-20141102-story.html

The SST (Space Shuttle) had 140 flights and two in flight failures resulting in total loss of both vehicle and crew. That gives a 1 in 70 failure rate.

Up until the Challenger disaster there had been no loss of US crew during flight, only during training. Apollo One crew lost in fire.

The Russians lost three crew during re-entry when a seal on the door failed and the cabin depressurized and another was lost when the parachute failed to deploy. Pretty sure from memory that was all.

Would i fly in either the SST or Virgin Galactic. Sure I would. But gotta get a ticket and get in line. And it's a long line.

Would i fly in either the SST or Virgin Galactic. Sure I would. But gotta get a ticket and get in line. And it's a long line.

Yes deep pockets is what you need to fly in the current bird !!!

David