Restoring a 95-10, history unknown

WayneL

I have acquired a Lea Kestrel with a R503 in what appears to be in reasonable condition. It will give me something to 'tinker with' to restore it to full airworthy status.

My questions are related to my current lack of information on the airframe and engine history and what will or should be the process I need to take to make it fully airworthy and meet the necessary requirements to be excepted for registration again. I will of course ask RAA Technical staff these same questions in due course but I thought I would throw it open to comment as I know that some of you may have been through these processes before.

Aircraft changed hands a couple of times without being flown and I was not are to get any info on engine hours or airframe hours and previous Rego details (no log books), aircraft may have last been based at Clifton or in the region, last skins apparently had a USA flag style coloring on the tail skins. Engine runs nice but wiring needs tiding up or redoing. Wayne Fisher made new skins about 18/20 months ago and these are in like new condition as they have not been flown or been in the sun. Wing and Tail frames are in very good condition and fuselage frame good condition.

Apart from the general process I have a few questions.

1. Current prop is a 2 blade wood but in poor condition, I believe most Kestrel's have 3 blade Brolga props?

Would like to get new bolts for the high stress areas such as wing & strut attachment points etc, what type should these be, some of these look like stainless steel but what about standard AN bolts (where shouldn't they be used).

• Like 1

AN bolts are OK for wing and strut attachment. Messrs Cessna, Piper, Maule & Co have been using them since Pontius was a pilot.

If you require information to determine the size codes (eg AN4-5A) for your bolts, PM me and I'll arrange to send you a 35Mb pdf file that will be of great use to you during your restoration.

Old Man Emu

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Caution 1

Sounds like a nice buy , you'll have to have a good inspection by someone who is familiar with type , l2 or lame .

Once everythings up to scratch and signed off rego forms can be downloaded of raa web site .

You'll have to raise a mew maintanance log .

Getting the right bolts is critical for safe flight , if as you say its been through a couple of hands without being flown it might have had bolts replaced just to look good for the sale .

If it were mine i would do a complete strip every thing inc. the engine . In essence , it would be similar to a rebuild and or zero hr starting again

Some one out there must have a manual you could copy ?

Good luck .

Mike .

Thanks Mike,

It does make a lot of sense to do a complete strip down and I had intended to do that with the airframe. Does a strip down of the motor essentially mean a rebuild irrespective of engine wear condition.

In other words......can an inspection of all engine parts determine the approx life left in a motor and be used as a base for starting a new maintenance log?

Thanks Mike,It does make a lot of sense to do a complete strip down and I had intended to do that with the airframe. Does a strip down of the motor essentially mean a rebuild irrespective of engine wear condition.

In other words......can an inspection of all engine parts determine the approx life left in a motor and be used as a base for starting a new maintenance log?

The engine , if it were mine and i didnt feel confident enough i would enlist the sevices of a competent lame l2 with a bore scope ,

and i would imagine an internal inspection will reveal any nasties , and if all seems ok the engine , i guess ( not sure of the regs )

can be flown on condition .

Mike

A L2/LAME familiar with R503's would probably be aware of common failures and the warning signs if any, that a component is about to fail.

But you never know, reading on another thread about R582 crankshaft/big end bearing failures around 600/650 hrs. Don't know whether an inspection 50 hours before those failures would have warned about the bearing failure so you wouldn't really know what life is left in the motor.

I suppose it comes down to a L2/LAME being happy with what he sees to feel comfortable to sign it off to run on condition and as you say, will that be acceptable to gain registration. Will ask RAA tech staff that question.

Wayne

• Like 1

I think you have the kestral from Tenterfield ... in which case chat to the tech office as there was only 1 twin ignition 503 kestrel in the register and they can guide you on the stepts to get an aircraft condition report raised and the creation of the new log to then get it back on the register with the original regn. Its not terrible to do - I didi it for my 95.10 sapphire years ago. as for the practicals of inspection the rest of the comments stand - you have the advantage of brand new skins - lucky you - shame I just couldn;t justify the money for another plane or i'd have taken it myself.

Wayne, there are currently 4 Lea Kestrels based in Brisbane including mine.

The designer Ces Lea or myself would be happy to answer any questions you have.

mob --- 0466 983 105

Cheers... Howard

I think you have the kestral from Tenterfield ... in which case chat to the tech office as there was only 1 twin ignition 503 kestrel in the register and they can guide you on the stepts to get an aircraft condition report raised and the creation of the new log to then get it back on the register with the original regn.

Yes Kasper, it is the one from Tenterfield. Did you get this info (only 1 twin ignition 503 kestrel in the register), or do you have more knowledge on this aircraft's history?

Wayne, there are currently 4 Lea Kestrels based in Brisbane including mine.The designer Ces Lea or myself would be happy to answer any questions you have.

mob --- 0466 983 105

Cheers... Howard

Thanks Howard,

I would love the chance to meet up with you guys and have a good look at your Kestrels. Where about are the 4 based at?

You would know Barry Evans, I like Barry also fly RC models and we used to be in the same RC Club.

I have not seen Barry for a few years but I see he has now donated his Kestrel to the Qld Air Museum at Caloundra. I had caught up with him a few times with his Kestrel but of course, don't remember much about the aircraft 'cause at the time I wasn't in the market for one! Now all I want to do is look at every nut & bolt on other Kestrels and take a 1000 photos plus 1500 questions!

A did have an aircraft back in '81 but there was no rego then!

It's a learning curve for me........Thanks to everyone who have responded so far....it's highly appreciated, but don't stop, I really wish to learn as much about this aircraft as I can and that includes finding it's previous rego.

Howard, mine does not have a rear fuselage skin like most Kestrels that I've seen, should it have one or did some not have it?

I will have to catch up in a few weeks, my wife and I are off to PNG on the P&O Pacific Dawn for 10 days R & R!

Regards,

Wayne

Well the good thing about them is they don't have to be based anywhere i.e. where ever you park the trailer, but most of the time we hang out at YCAB.

Yes know Barry, and its not rocket science to do a fuse skin.

Catch you on return.

Hi Wayne, I am another of those kestrel owners that Howard mentioned in Brisbane. Hope you have a good holiday on the Dawn.

I have had my Kestrel since 2001 and the best place to keep your aircraft when not flying it is in its purpose built trailer. It protects the a/c from dust, UV, hanger rash, corrosion (no moisture if its lined), hanger fees etc. You can take it home or away on holiday, not perhaps with P&O, but great for a camping weekend without worrying about getthereitis.

The costs of flying (or not) is akin to boating, keep your boat in a marina or storage and the next fishing trip seems very expensive but tow your boat home and many of those charges stop until you use it again. The kestrel makes for good economical flying.

I hope we meet up with Howard your return

Keith 0427687001

• 2 months later...

Though I would give you an update on the Lea Kestrel. Thanks to Howard for allowing me to check out his Kestrel and take many photos. It's amazing the things you miss on a viewing but pick up when looking at the photos.

I finally found out that it was previously registered as 10-1213 and this information finally allowed the RAA to give me an answer to my questions on what I needed to do to register it!

Assistant Tech Manager Jared Smith sent me this:

The following will be required to complete registration of your Lea Kestrel.

Statutory Declaration stating when and from who you purchased the aircraft from.

Change of Ownership form with $65 payment

Aircraft Data Sheet form

Builders Log (outlining 51% constructed by you)

Pre Flight Final Inspection completed by L4. Aircraft will go through a provisional flying period.

Images of Registration markings on both sides of fuselage

Image of MTOW placard

Image of Warning Placard

Payment for 12 months registration $250 (new Registration)

CAO 95.10 Registration for Amateur Built category form

Weight and Balance

I can now go ahead with the work to get it ready for flying.

I will have the motor overhauled, I am redoing the wiring and updating the panel, the wing skins need a couple minor addtions added, I will be redoing the elevator control cable and bottom tailplane flying wires plus an inspection of all airframe parts.

Wayne

Yes! They didn't know what to do with it before I knew what the previous rego was. Being a very basic airframe basicly means I will need to log the inspection of every bolt and tube etc to meet the 51% rule. About the only thing I won't be doing that the orginal builder did was cut the tubing to size and do some bending/forming for the tailplane frame.

• Informative 1

Thanks for the update, I'm pleased to hear your Kestrel is going to be servicable and registered again. I recently spoke to the guys at Wingtech regarding replacement skins for another aircraft. As you would know the kestrel uses the same 'rib in pocket' design as thruster and drifter wings. Wingtech are very familiar with making skins for these aircraft as well as hang glider wings so it may be worth a phone call to them.

I have a few spares that I will offer to anyone that buys my kestral however if they don't want them you are welcome.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
Yes Kasper, it is the one from Tenterfield. Did you get this info (only 1 twin ignition 503 kestrel in the register), or do you have more knowledge on this aircraft's history?

Thanks Howard,

I would love the chance to meet up with you guys and have a good look at your Kestrels. Where about are the 4 based at?

You would know Barry Evans, I like Barry also fly RC models and we used to be in the same RC Club.

I have not seen Barry for a few years but I see he has now donated his Kestrel to the Qld Air Museum at Caloundra. I had caught up with him a few times with his Kestrel but of course, don't remember much about the aircraft 'cause at the time I wasn't in the market for one! Now all I want to do is look at every nut & bolt on other Kestrels and take a 1000 photos plus 1500 questions!

A did have an aircraft back in '81 but there was no rego then!

It's a learning curve for me........Thanks to everyone who have responded so far....it's highly appreciated, but don't stop, I really wish to learn as much about this aircraft as I can and that includes finding it's previous rego.

Howard, mine does not have a rear fuselage skin like most Kestrels that I've seen, should it have one or did some not have it?

I will have to catch up in a few weeks, my wife and I are off to PNG on the P&O Pacific Dawn for 10 days R & R!

Regards,

Wayne[/QUOT

Hi FL,

No it's not flying yet, have been busy building a new kitchen for the misses (money saved is for my flying:oh yeah:). have been doing some research and planning. I have collected items that I need or want to go into the Kestrel. I am about to start work on it soon. A new instrument panel will be going in, better gauges and the panel set higher in pod for better knee room. That will come with a complete rewire. I will be redoing the the elevator control cable setup slightly, changing the tailplane mounting and bracing to be more in line with the other Kestrels I have seen. My tailplane does not foldup as far as the other Kestrels. It's amazing how many differences there are between the Kestrels.

My rego requirements are now more sensible after Trevor Bange (RAA S.E Qld rep) from Clifton had a chat to the tech manager about the previously stated requirements being 'hogwash'! See post a few above.

Been getting back in form flying Drifters at Clifton so I am ready to flying the Kestrel when I get it going.

Below is a list of my new requirements to get it registered again.

· Statutory Declaration stating when and from who you purchased the aircraft from and verifying that the aircraft is 10-1213

· Change of Ownership form with $65 payment

· Aircraft Data Sheet form

· Images of Registration markings on both sides of fuselage

· Image of Warning Placard

· Image of compliance plate (with serial no. & registration No.) The serial number for 10-1213 is recorded as 006

· Payment for 12 months registration of $65 (can be added to change of ownership form amount)

· Weight and Balance

And a Aircraft Condition Report (ACR) for 95.10

• Informative 1

Hi Wayne

Glad to hear you are progressing well with your kestrel, I'm sure you will be very pleased with the end result, they are a very tough and under rated aircraft.

I am surprised to hear that your tailplane is not of the folding type, without this facility it may not fit in a road legal trailer should you feel the need to take it home or away on a road trip.

I still have mine for sale as the photos did not do it justice so decided to refurbish the trailer and put it on ebay in mid May after my holidays.

As I mentioned before I have some spares that may be useful if a new owner does not want them.

G'Day Keith,

My Kestrel tailplane will pivot up but only about 60 degrees, still enough to put in a trailer but I like what I saw on Howards plane better. I'm guessing yours is the same design too.

The photos show the difference.

Are you putting the Kestrel and Trailer on Ebay or just the trailer?

You will have to pm me a list of spares.

Wayne

1026025794_2kestrel1.jpg.d79d6449402b8e375ddf46c8a02d8dae.jpg

724828514_1kestrel1.jpg.3d89faafb625d115a851d64e9454bc10.jpg