Sportstar down

Hi all, I saw on the news that a Sportstar went down on the Sunshine Coast. According the news the sole occupant was a female pilot who was OK. The news of course had no idea what the aircraft was but even though it was badly damaged. I could tell it was a Sportstar, the latest shape type.

Single-engine plane crashes on runway at Sunshine Coast AirportBy Matt Watson

Updated about 2 hours agoMon 17 Nov 2014, 6:49pm

Map: Marcoola 4564air-and-space, marcoola-4564maroochydore-4558

First posted about 3 hours agoMon 17 Nov 2014, 5:52pm

She definitely didn't crash onto any runway. There was no runway on the aerial shots taken by the 9 news. Near a runway maybe.

I found this pic of the aircraft involved in yesterdays accident -

1644651353_SunnyCoastCrash17-11-14.png.42a21df85f6e734c71e5aaaf1e093e62.png

To me the crashed aircraft looks more like the Piper Sports operated by the Sunshine Coast Aero Club-

24-8108.jpg.1b0a8608e2ce43acb780df620f97b734.jpg

This is the Sportstar operated by the club -

24-7324.jpg.ef1c8a5bb55122927b2fc268ad35a243.jpg

Note the Sportstar is silver not white, also the angle of the leading edge of the fin on the crashed aircraft looks more like the Piper Sports than the Sportstar, ie more raked angle.

24-8108.jpg.616c7490be5a07e0d5a139eb7a9c7c41.jpg

• Agree 1

Compare the rear windows of the crashed machine to the silver Sportstar, longer and come to a sharp point...

The canopy on the ground has the same fibreglass roof portion as the silver version, the Piper Sports does not.

I conclude its a Sportstar

• Like 1

The photo posted above of the silver Sportstar has been taken from the Sunshine Coast Aero club web page. Unfortunately most of the photos on their web site are outdated.

To see what their current fleet looks like you need to go to their Facebook page. Here you will see that their Sportstar Max is now WHITE with small blue stripes on the fuselage going up behind the rear window and blue stripes at the bottom of the fin. (the rego is still 24-7324). Their Sportstar also has the top of the canopy painted white.

If you look at the picture of the crashed aircraft you will see the blue stripes going behind the rear window, top of the canopy is white and blue stripes at the bottom of the fin. You can also compare the the crashed aircraft photo with the Piper Sport photo and see the location of the blue stripes do not match, it has Piper Sport written on the side of the fin and it has the sliding canvas canopy cover.

• Like 1
  • Caution 1

I assume that the engine failed . Any word as to the cause , if in fact that did happen ?Bob

From the news report ( for what that's worth ) it was hit by a gust on landing & pushed off the strip into the gully. Not an engine failure.

Err when I said Sportstar, I actually meant to say PiperSport. 097_peep_wall.gif.dcfd1acb5887de1394272f1b8f0811df.gif.At least I got the gully correct.lol

Either way it 's not so sporty anymore, I think the newness has worn off.