What is the aircraft for a trike under Ra-Aus?

Sounds a silly thing but is it the wing or the trike that is the registered aircraft under the RA-Aus?

Asking as I have three trikes and five wings to mix n match with and I need to know if I have to register 3 aircraft or 5 to allow any/all mix n match.

Note they are all single seat home built so 95.10 without any manufacturer limits here.

I could be very wrong here but I think with RAA it is the trike (base) and with HGFA it is the wings.Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.....

Hmmm this is what I had heard ... but know of one flying school using a single trike with two wings - one HGFA and the other RA-Aus - so was just wondering if there was definative before I add to my list of questions with the Tech department.

• Haha 1

With Powered Parachutes there has never been a Rego number on the Canopy as there is none on a Trike Wing. Numbers appear on the back of the fuel tank (Aerochute). If you note 2.01-2 in the new ops manual -

2. In addition to Paragraph 1 of this Section, a Pilot Certificate holder

must not act as pilot in command of a Group D recreational aeroplane

unless the person holds a logbook endorsement issued by an RA-Aus

Examiner stating:

a. the canopy types they are endorsed on, e.g. Box (rectangular), Semielliptical or Elliptical; and

b. the performance characteristic of each canopy type they are endorsed

on e.g. Low or High flight envelope; and

c. the specific characteristics of the base e.g. foot or hand control,

steerable or fixed nose wheel, hand or foot throttle etc.; and

d. in the case of carrying passengers, meets the requirements outlined

in Section 2.07, Paragraph 10.b.

Suggest you email Neil Schaefer Assist Ops Manager (and Trike Pilot among many others) for clarification.

• Informative 1

snipped ... as there is none on a Trike Wing. Numbers appear on the back of the fuel tank (Aerochute). If you note 2.01-2 in the new ops manual -...

Suggest you email Neil Schaefer Assist Ops Manager (and Trike Pilot among many others) for clarification.

Not sure your post helps - it's airframe defintion I'm interested in not the pilot certificate reqs. This is actually seperate from the requirements to display regn markings but the fundamental question of what is the aircraft.

And on markings you are incorrect - the old Ops manual 4.09 (the only requirement operating today to require display) did require underwing markings on the trike wing its only the proposed new Tech manual that removes underwing ... and that is not operational until the tech manual is approved.

As the airframes I am playing with are all 95.10 there is no manufacturer limits on which wing I can fly on which trike ... my question is one of what is the registration status of the combinations - a technical airframe question not a operational question.

eg

I have two trikes and two wings

If I register Trike A and Wing 1 combination as 10-4868 (photos, weight certificate and registration document)

is it STILL 10-4868 if I put Wing 2 on Trike A?

Is it STILL 10-4968 if I put Wing 1 on Trike B?

Clearly there is an airframe part that IS the aircraft that holds the regn number 10-4868, I just need to know is it the wing or the trike. Other countries have made it clear (eg UK - aircraft = wing) I just asked here as I can't find a clear statement of it on the RA-Aus website or through the tech manual.

Answer from RA-Aus Tech - it's the Trike that is the aircraft that holds the registration.

So for 95.10 I can freely put any wing I build on the top provided it operates under the wing loading requirements and just note the change in the logbook.

• Informative 1

lol no need to beg. In the UK it was well known I loved the Raven wing and was making a mini-raven for OZ - I call it the Currawong - the Australian Raven.

So there are several raven wings here with me and the cut down Currawong, just the final weight and photos to be sent off to RAA and I should be up and away with a single seater ... with a wing designed for 450kg. Then I can finish the new two seater trike and then do an experimental 95.32 two seater with that wing. Just need to buy more dacron and get the sewing machine out again.

Sounds a silly thing but is it the wing or the trike that is the registered aircraft under the RA-Aus?Asking as I have three trikes and five wings to mix n match with and I need to know if I have to register 3 aircraft or 5 to allow any/all mix n match.

Note they are all single seat home built so 95.10 without any manufacturer limits here.

As far as I know HGFA also register the base as the aircraft but they do have a separate wing logbook on their website to download for each wing, so if you have multiple wings this be of use to you.

They say a weeks a long time in politics ...

1. the decision from RAA by phone is that the trike is the airframe that holds the regn

2. the fact that a a 95.10 requires regn display on parts of the airframe that don't exist is still to be confirmed by RAA in writing ... and they have warned me I will not be happy

3. the 'fact' that this 95.10 has previously been registered in the UK (I designed and built it there 4 years ago) NOW becomes a big hicough in getting it registered here 95.10 ... even though I told them this more than 8 weeks ago AND provided them the UK CAA letter of cancellation of registration at that time

The good thing is that they have decided not to charge the full first regn fee and will allow the regn number reservation fee offset even though it will clearly now take more than 3 months to get an aircraft registered ... becasue until I get an answer to 2. I can;t even think about getting a L2 to witness the weighing.

Gee, if I knew it would be THIS difficult to register the self designed and built single seater aircraft from UK to OZ I would have disassembled it and engraved a new data plate to create SN 0002 068_angry.gif.cc43c1d4bb0cee77bfbafb87fd434239.gif

And i know that RAA tech read this forum - If you start requiring me to provide the 'manufacturers' anything relating to manuals, parts lists, certificates etc or maintenance releases etc the sound of a small nuclear explosion from the vicinity of Glenn Innes will be heard.

• 2 weeks later...