Etiquette

Marty_d

Hi all,

Looking for some views on what the correct etiquette is on seeking parts from written off aircraft.

I know that any plane that gets wrecked is gut wrenching blow to the owner. Last thing I'd want to do is come across as some kind of vulture.

Is it acceptable to seek out the owner of an aircraft that's been wrecked (as an example, the recent storm in Brisbane that destroyed those planes at Archerfield) to see if they're interested in selling parts like engine etc (or to find who the insurance company is to approach them) - or would that be seen as intrusive? As a plane owner yourself, what would your feeling be in that situation?

It's a thorny question and hope I don't get flak for asking it, but I am genuinely interested in what you think.

Thanks, Marty

• Informative 1

If the airplane was insured, the wreck belongs to the insurance company, just as happens with cars. They will sell the wreck by tender. If the airplane was a GA one, then there are a couple of commercial dismantlers who would tender. If the airplane was an RAA one, then there might not be any commercial dismantlers interested in it. You would have to approach the insurer.

If the airplane was uninsured, then it still belongs to the unfortunate owner. You would have to approach the owner to see what his/her position was. Maybe they want to walk away from the wreck and are willing to sell bits to cut their losses, or maybe they want to recover as much as possible to rebuild. If a person owned a Jabiru which had been totalled, then they could get back into the air by stripping out the wreck and putting the bits into a new airframe. In the case of storm blow-overs, the damage is going to be to the airframe. Everything else would be still OK.

Don't forget that it is the identification plate attached to it that is the airplane. In theory, your could rebuild MH170 if you owned the identification plate.

OME

Not necessarily, often they will accept an offer immediately, as is,where is, because they can avoid a lot of removal and storage costs while the tender or auction process is going on.

Indeedy, this is true. Not all of them but most do it, but you have to get in before their other processes start.

I can't see any problem with approaching an insurance company.

However if it wasn't insured you would have to be a bit more considerate, for example it would be a fairly touchy subject if someone was injured/killed so you would have to take that into account.

Maybe, and I might cop some slack for this, if dealing with the individual or their family directly it would be smart to not give your full name or details until you were sure that they weren't going to scream you out.

If the airplane was insured, the wreck belongs to the insurance company, just as happens with cars. They will sell the wreck by tender. If the airplane was a GA one, then there are a couple of commercial dismantlers who would tender. If the airplane was an RAA one, then there might not be any commercial dismantlers interested in it. You would have to approach the insurer.If the airplane was uninsured, then it still belongs to the unfortunate owner. You would have to approach the owner to see what his/her position was. Maybe they want to walk away from the wreck and are willing to sell bits to cut their losses, or maybe they want to recover as much as possible to rebuild. If a person owned a Jabiru which had been totalled, then they could get back into the air by stripping out the wreck and putting the bits into a new airframe. In the case of storm blow-overs, the damage is going to be to the airframe. Everything else would be still OK.

Don't forget that it is the identification plate attached to it that is the airplane. In theory, your could rebuild MH170 if you owned the identification plate.

OME

If only they can find the plate to attach the necessary parts to, to make it air-worthy again.

• Caution 1