Brain fade during training

At the risk of opening both ends of the can... i think he's right, it is important to understand so i am hoping I didn't misunderstand (or lead anyone else to) when i posted my thread. So in my mind... my understanding is this - If i am at 65 kts on short final with a crosswind, and it then becomes a tailwind (let's say 10 kts), my ground speed would indeed increase, which would lead me to perceive that I am going faster than i am, but would it not be true that my actual airspeed (ie air flowing over the wings) in fact be 10 kts lower?

Yep can of worms open and no airspeed does not change. Really important for all to understand but I will leave that to perhaps Motz to comment. Maybe new thread.

Ok ok..We have to contain the example to one context.

ayavner, your description WOULD see a change in IAS, because your talking about a sudden "Wind" change. As apposed to a constant wind and the aeroplane "turning" .

They are very different scenarios.

Sudden changes in wind strength OR direction is known as wind shear. It WILL change your IAS, sometimes very rapidly.

Heading changes in a constant wind should NOT cause a change in IAS, but will cause a groundspeed change.

There is a little "in between' science that some will argue, but Generally, the above statements are true.

Ive got worms on my chin now!!!!!

IF you in an moving airmass , you can go around and around and your airspeed will not vary but your groundspeed will. If you climb or descend into a windshear situation your airspeed WILL change at the boundary. You can also get a wind direction change at a constant height, the most dangerous being a downburst situation near storm activity. Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

haha OK well that was my context, and hopefully in that light some of the worms can go back into the can.

i was not looking at the IAS at the time, but surmise that is what happened as the sock was back and forth all day (literally in the blink of an eye a couple times as I sat there afterwards with my coffee, reflecting). Louie you're right though, and ASI shouldn't change just with the normal changes of wind direction experienced on a cross country flight for example.

IF you in an moving airmass , you can go around and around and your airspeed will not vary but your groundspeed will. If you climb or descend into a windshear situation your airspeed WILL change at the boundary. You can also get a wind direction change at a constant height, the most dangerous being a downburst situation near storm activity. Nev

Right and this is what I was talking about in my example. I probably should have used the word windshear, but my brain had faded.

The airspeed will certainly vary if you get in severe turbulence where the wind is tumbling or rotating and you will get varying up and down currents as well as horizontal variations. I had a bad one where the airspeed went from about 50 to 140 knots fluctuating, without attitude change. You are going from stall almost to way over VNE and there is not a lot you can do about it except avoid abrupt control inputs. Nev

The winds on the day were nothing too serious, about 15kts, gusting to about 20-25. The issue was mechanical turbulence off a hangar right next to the runway, which caused (what I believe) to like a horizontal rotor, which pushed us from behind, rapidly, and took the IAS down to nothing. She fell from windsock height like an express elevator. Full power was in when we impacted. I wasnt on the controls, it was during a BFR. But, it would have happened anyway, even if I was.

• Like 1

When you think you have it skun, you are ready to be a menace to yourself and anyone around you. You have also stopped learning, which I have always said not to do.Not a bad idea after a flight to review the way you conducted it VERY HONESTLY. That way you will improve, not deteriorate.. Nev

agree 100% re v honestly do a flight review. Whenever I do a silly thing, or a forgetting of the basics, the best way I learn from it is to do the honest flight review. Definitely the best policy.