Dishonesty in aviation

stevron

Got caught a bit when in the U.S, we had been getting on fine all the time with cheap meals then adding the tips@ about 12% , it worked out about right. Then on the way home we had gone through security and still needed a meal prior to departure, went to an Irish restaurant, things looked pretty pricey but oh well. Then when the bill came, suggested gratuity 18, 20 or 25%...... What can you do, the service was great so didn't want to go the cheap one so had to add 20% to the already high prices..... Almost had to wash the dishes to get out of there

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got caught a bit when in the U.S, when the bill came, suggested gratuity 18, 20 or 25%...... What can you do, the service was great so didn't want to go the cheap one so had to add 20% to the already high prices..... Almost had to wash the dishes to get out of there

Thank God for the Australian Arbitration system. Wages fixed at a "living" level. Overheads factored in to the price of products. Go to a restaurant and get service that is more than just order taking and delivery, and you are happy to sling the waiter a quid as reward. Too bad that it is hard to sling the chef something if the meal that has been prepared also exceeds your expectations.

I actually find it offensive in the US that employees in the service industries have to pan-handle to make a living wage.

OME

• Agree 7

It is in some engines particularly hi output motors . Directly "blown" (aspirated) don't need tuned exhaust systems so much particularly with non assymetric timing where at least one function is mechanical rather than just ported and timed by the piston , which is difficult to vary. Nev

What's the point of running a two stroke unmuffled. After all the exhaust system on most of them is part of the engine tuningor am I missing some thing.

Correct, the restriction of a muffler can be used for tuning via restriction to help reverse pressure waves along with the 'stinger'. Engines such as the Commer Knocker don't use any form of exhaust tuning though but it's critical in order to offer high specific outputs on modern 2 strokes.

Interesting short article here ...

http://members.iinet.net.au/~pauldawson/iame37_2-s_exhausts.PDF

Referring to the topic title, I have wondered this myself. 1/2 the aircraft I have bought were from dishonest sellers playing with my life! That's 3 out of 6 aircraft that turned out not so good- all advertised as ready to fly nothing to spend.

1. Told I can fly it home but opted for trailer, turned out alloywings severely cracked and x2 pod supports cracked right threw.( fixed up , flew,then eventually sold as wreck- plane never flew again)

2 . Whilst flying home ,engine failure( was due to old owner fitting incorrect fuel filter) and very nasty pitch issues(re- sold stating all the problems- plane never flew again)

3. After trailering home and a couple flights later, found a wing to be internally damaged requiring extensive work, investigation found plane had been involved in a crash , partially repaired and then sold to unsuspecting pilot ( me) cost extra $11k to rebuild .

2 out of the 3 came with condition reports. ( nothing noted).

Also only 1 out of 6 planes I have owned came with log and POH! ( the lightwing).

And that's just me!

Unfortunately I know of a few stung worse than me !

I would be happy with mandatory sale inspections by nominated , qualified inspectors( not just any lvl 2 ). Like a roadworthy for cars. But for planes... Unless advertised as non-flying.

Just my opinion

P.s. Every plane I have sold came with log book that I started and kept up to date records. As I have nothing it hide!

• Like 3

Referring to the topic title, I have wondered this myself. 1/2 the aircraft I have bought were from dishonest sellers playing with my life! That's 3 out of 6 aircraft that turned out not so good- all advertised as ready to fly nothing to spend. 1. Told I can fly it home but opted for trailer, turned out alloywings severely cracked and x2 pod supports cracked right threw.( fixed up , flew,then eventually sold as wreck- plane never flew again)

2 . Whilst flying home ,engine failure( was due to old owner fitting incorrect fuel filter) and very nasty pitch issues(re- sold stating all the problems- plane never flew again)

3. After trailering home and a couple flights later, found a wing to be internally damaged requiring extensive work, investigation found plane had been involved in a crash , partially repaired and then sold to unsuspecting pilot ( me) cost extra $11k to rebuild .

2 out of the 3 came with condition reports. ( nothing noted).

Also only 1 out of 6 planes I have owned came with log and POH! ( the lightwing).

And that's just me!

Unfortunately I know of a few stung worse than me !

I would be happy with mandatory sale inspections by nominated , qualified inspectors( not just any lvl 2 ). Like a roadworthy for cars. But for planes... Unless advertised as non-flying.

Just my opinion

P.s. Every plane I have sold came with log book that I started and kept up to date records. As I have nothing it hide!

Your point is well taken but regulating things like this usually cause problems, when people are dishonest no regulations will change this, I would simply say do not buy a plane without a log book or history records, and when I buy a plane I find out about the owner and how he flew the plane, apart from accidents, over stressing a plane could be something that can sneak up and hurt you, if someone constantly heavy lands, overloads or overstresses a plane it becomes a time bomb.

If you buy a plane inspect the log books, but investigate the owners flying habits. A plane that has been on line is an unknown and would need thorough inspection and research of the pilots habits.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

This is part of the problem with self regulation, the bad players just use it as an opportunity to avoid following the rules, which puts pressure on the good players to break rules to stay price competitive. The day CASA shuts down the RAA and merges the 2 systems into one will probably be the single biggest step forward in aviation safety.

.. aircraft I have bought were from dishonest sellers playing with my life! That's 3 out of 6 aircraft that turned out not so good- all advertised as ready to fly nothing to spend.

One I grabbed recently the owner flew it to me. When I pulled it apart I couldn't believe the things I found, the guy could have been in serious crap at any moment from about 5 unrelated issues such as bad wiring that failed the moment I disturbed it to the blocked fuel line.

He wasn't trying to cheat me but it came as a shock to me how one could be flying around un-checked.

• Like 1

This is part of the problem with self regulation, the bad players just use it as an opportunity to avoid following the rules, which puts pressure on the good players to break rules to stay price competitive. The day CASA shuts down the RAA and merges the 2 systems into one will probably be the single biggest step forward in aviation safety.

• Agree 1