Flights over water

Hi Guys

After a little help. I'm studying for my pre-solo test, I have a list of things to study and one of them is flights over water. I can't find anything in my BAK book, I also can't find anything in Operations manual {issues 7}

I have found something on the casa website. {this is it below}

"Legislation for overwater flights other than for balloons and gliders will be changed to 25 nm from land providing the aircraft carries an Emergency Locator Transmitter (ELT), life jackets, and giving lodgement of a SARTIME. Requirements for crossing Bass Straight will not be limited to 25 nm from land to allow greater pilot discretion of the route with due regard to safe passage clear of inclement weather."

Is this it? is there any more? Or does anyone know where this stuff is in my two books?

Cheers

Rick

CAO 95.55 covers this for recreational aircraft. You will find that at the end of the ops manual.

The link is http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2011L00617

The relevant paragraphs are below.

7.1© subject to paragraph 7.2, the aeroplane must not be flown over a body of water at a horizontal distance from a suitable landing area of more than:

(i) the distance (not greater than 25 nautical miles) that the aeroplane can glide in case of engine failure; or

(ii) 25 nautical miles — if each occupant is wearing a life jacket and the aircraft carries a serviceable radiocommunication system and the equipment referred to in subparagraph 3.2 (a) or (b);

3.2 (a) an approved ELT, or an approved portable ELT, as defined in regulation 252A of CAR 1988; or

(b) a personal locator beacon that has been approved by CASA for use with such an aeroplane.

7.2 In spite of the limit of 25 nautical miles mentioned in subparagraph 7.1 ©, an aeroplane to which that limit would otherwise apply may be flown between Tasmania and mainland Australia, in either direction, by a longer route if taking advantage of safer weather conditions.

Guest Andys@coffs

Indeed CAO 95.55 and all the other exemption documents that give purpose to RAAus and other RAAO's usually have specific over water restrictions which in general are more restrictive than the more generalised standard CASA rules and regs

BTW The RAAus Operations manual contains these as Appendix, 1, 2 and 3

Andy

Guest Howard Hughes
Indeed CAO 95.55 and all the other exemption documents that give purpose to RAAus and other RAAO's usually have specific over water restrictions which in general are more restrictive than the more generalised standard CASA rules and regs

Just for the record, the excerpt from CAO 95.55 posted by Happyflyer contains exactly the same requirements as the AIP!

WOW!!!!!!!!!! thanks soooooooooooooooooooooooo much guys for all your responses, Very helpful. Got a bit of study ahead of me:} As well as swapping aircraft I'm learning in. I was doing all my training in a J170 ,but with the restrictions on the Jab I have to swap to the Tecnam, Hopefully they handle the same, I'm up to touch and goes, my instructor said it's not ideal to swap aircraft at this point. Finger crossed

Thanks again

Cheers

Rick.

Just for the record, the excerpt from CAO 95.55 posted by Happyflyer contains exactly the same requirements as the AIP!

I don't think that is quite right. AIP does not have a 25nm limit for private flights, only charter. Also GA aircraft passengers do not have to wear a life jacket under 2000ft (see CAO20.11). RAAus aircraft do have the 25 nm limit and do have to wear the life jacket at any height when they can not glide back. CAO 95.55 puts the extra requirements on RAAus.

Hi Rick - between the Jab and the Tecnam, the principles are the same but handling will be a bit different.. you'll find the Tecnam much more docile and forgiving. Things that will throw you at first will just be stuff being in different places, different power settings for the various configurations, and slightly different sight picture/attitude out the window. But those are minor, may take you a couple of lessons to settle into it. Interested to hear what you think once you've tried both!

Yeah, thanks for the advice Guys, I have been you in the Tecnam but it was for the stalling lesson, not for the touch and goes and yeah you are right about the switches, completely different spots. luckily I video every lesson with the gopro attached to my headset, I'll be doing my next lesson this Saturday. The night before I go up I watch the vid' to familiarise myself with the aircraft. I really find it helps a heap.

Cheer

Rick

Hi Guys

Went for my lesson in the Tecnam Golf yesterday out of Bankstown after only doing touch and go’s in the Jab170. What a fantastic morning for it not a cloud in the sky and 3 knot wind. Ayavner was right the Tecnam is SOOOOOO forgiving and dead easy to land. My instructor even had me doing flapless landings {a first for me} It really made me feel like I’d been flying for years. Felt like I could do anything in it. Also the Tecnam climbs like a rocket compared to the Jab.

Cheers

Rick

Hi GuysWent for my lesson in the Tecnam Golf yesterday out of Bankstown after only doing touch and go’s in the Jab170. What a fantastic morning for it not a cloud in the sky and 3 knot wind. Ayavner was right the Tecnam is SOOOOOO forgiving and dead easy to land. My instructor even had me doing flapless landings {a first for me} It really made me feel like I’d been flying for years. Felt like I could do anything in it. Also the Tecnam climbs like a rocket compared to the Jab.

Cheers

Rick

Teccy Golfs are easy to fly, I have over 100 hours in that particular model. But a couple of pilots have come unstuck in them by raising the nose wheel off a bit to early when accelerating down the runway. They need a certain amount of airspeed over the rudder for it t be effective. Some Golfs have been bent by heading left even with full right rudder early in the take off run. Its not a biggy, just something to think about.

• Agree 1

Teccy Golfs are easy to fly, I have over 100 hours in that particular model. But a couple of pilots have come unstuck in them by raising the nose wheel off a bit to early when accelerating down the runway. They need a certain amount of airspeed over the rudder for it t be effective. Some Golfs have been bent by heading left even with full right rudder early in the take off run. Its not a biggy, just something to think about.

Yeah, I did find it pulled more to the left and found I was using more right rudder most of the flight. One other thing I did notice was when I my first landing when coming in for the flair and cut he throttle like I do on the Jab it really drop and hard on the runway. The next few landings I eased the throttle off and I don't mind patting myself on the back here BUT they were pretty awesome :} !!!!