Dead stick options ?

JUSTNUZZA

We'll they say you aren't a bush pilot until you have landed one in the trees. The thing to remember is if you have an engine out you won't be able to slow up as much as you don't have that extra elevator authority because you won't have the prop wash but they will still get pretty slow.

It's a bit hard to be critical of them though as we don't know their full situation, and maybe the option of flying is worth the risk. And after all that it's not exactly a populated area they are flying over so a third party problem wouldn't be too likely.

not the place to fly with a crosswind... otherwise, it looks ok to me... except the asymmetric leading edge slats, that dont seam to have any real effect on lift...

Well not sure about amounts of lift but the leading edge slats on the Superstol get the wing to an amazing AOA, that would have the rest of us falling, and still retain good control.

Leading edge slats or slots DO work. I thought they were pretty common on real STOL planes. At high pitch attitudes the thrust is holding you there to some considerable extent. Engine failure is going to have a quick effect in those circumstances. Nev

• Agree 2

Leading edge slats or slots DO work. I thought they were pretty common on real STOL planes. At high pitch attitudes the thrust is holding you there to some considerable extent. Engine failure is going to have a quick effect in those circumstances. Nev

Yes they are able to really hang off the prop and come in real slow, which was why I commented that they won't land as short without power. Talking to our local Superstol owner when he 'dropped' in he was telling me about the AOA that it could fly at and I'm kicking myself that I can't remember exactly the figure but it was well over 20 degrees with the leading edge slats which is a huge jump from the standard 16. They are a really impressive machine, anyone going to Avalon next month will get to see the Superstol in the flesh and doing a flying display so keep your eyes peeled and say g'day to our boy:thumb up:

i know the slats do work, its just in this video, they seam to be opening asymmetrically, with no noticeable effect on the flight. i would have though having one open and one closed would have created some adverse effect or yaw. i guess its at an AOA where the slats have no noticeable effect.

• Agree 1

i know the slats do work, its just in this video, they seam to be opening asymmetrically, with no noticeable effect on the flight. i would have though having one open and one closed would have created some adverse effect or yaw. i guess its at an AOA where the slats have no noticeable effect.

Yup they open and close on their own purely by aerodynamic force.

Some are automatic. They don't extend till a certain angle of attack is reached (like a DH 82) You don't notice any assymetric effect because they extend at only the time that wing meets the angle (and the need) and beyond that stay extended (till you speed up) .You lock them for aero's or taxying. Nev