Chinese Jet engine maintanance ? ?

Phil Perry

Whether this is true or not, I have no idea ! . . . but in case it IS a joke, I posted it here amongst the funnies. . . . . .

download?mid=2_0_0_1_1651463_AJoIDNkAABF%2BVMPVwgz0aHYyuQw&m=YaDownload&pid=2&fid=Inbox&inline=1&appid=yahoomail

download?mid=2_0_0_1_1651463_AJoIDNkAABF%2BVMPVwgz0aHYyuQw&m=YaDownload&pid=3&fid=Inbox&inline=1&appid=yahoomail

A pilot for a Chinese carrier requested permission and landed at FRA ( Frankfurt , Germany ) for an unscheduled refuelling stop.

The reason soon became apparent to the ground crew:

The Number 3 engine had been shut downpreviously because of excessive vibration, and because it didn't look too good.

It had apparently been no problem for the ground crew back in China, as they took some sturdy straps and wrapped them around some of the fan blades and the structures behind, thus stopping any unwantedwindmilling engine spinning by itself due to airflow passing through the blades during flight and the associated uncomfortable vibration caused by the sub optimal fan.

download?mid=2_0_0_1_1651463_AJoIDNkAABF%2BVMPVwgz0aHYyuQw&m=YaDownload&pid=4&fid=Inbox&inline=1&appid=yahoomail

Note that the straps are seat-belts, how resourceful.

After making the "repairs", off they went into the wild blue yonder with another revenue-making flight on only three engines.

With the increased fuel consumption, they got a bit low on fuel, and just set it down at the closest airport (FRA) for a quick refill.

That's when the problems started:

The Germans, who are kind of picky about this stuff, inspected the malfunctioning engine and immediately grounded the aircraft.

Besides the seat-belts, notice the appalling condition of the fan blades.

The airline operator had to send a chunk of money to get the first engine replaced whichtook about 10 days.

The repair contractor decided to do some impromptu inspection work on the other engines, none of which looked all that great either.

The result: a total of 3 engines were eventually changed on this plane before it was permitted to fly again.

And you all were worried about toys from China with lead paint on them.

download?mid=2_0_0_1_1651463_AJoIDNkAABF%2BVMPVwgz0aHYyuQw&m=YaDownload&pid=4&fid=Inbox&inline=1&appid=yahoomaildownload?mid=2_0_0_1_1651463_AJoIDNkAABF%2BVMPVwgz0aHYyuQw&m=YaDownload&pid=3&fid=Inbox&inline=1&appid=yahoomaildownload?mid=2_0_0_1_1651463_AJoIDNkAABF%2BVMPVwgz0aHYyuQw&m=YaDownload&pid=2&fid=Inbox&inline=1&appid=yahoomaildownload?mid=2_0_0_1_1651463_AJoIDNkAABF%2BVMPVwgz0aHYyuQw&m=YaDownload&pid=4&fid=Inbox&inline=1&appid=yahoomaildownload?mid=2_0_0_1_1651463_AJoIDNkAABF%2BVMPVwgz0aHYyuQw&m=YaDownload&pid=3&fid=Inbox&inline=1&appid=yahoomailProbably a load of Bollox since neither the Airline, nor aircraft variant was mentioned. . . .perhaps it;'s the CIA rubbishing the Chinese for their CyberNaughtiness ! ! ! ! whaddyer reckon BEX ? ? ? ? ?download?mid=2_0_0_1_1651463_AJoIDNkAABF%2BVMPVwgz0aHYyuQw&m=YaDownload&pid=2&fid=Inbox&inline=1&appid=yahoomail

Can't see any of the pictures Phil 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif

Hi SD,. . . . .

Just had a look myself and they all loaded ok, though a couple of them are virtually duplicates,. . . . . . dunno, why you can't view them . . . . . . . .weird that.

its because you 've linked it to your yahoo inbox.... try downloading the pics then just uploading them into the post.

here is the link for the first picture - so only you can view it (unless you want to pass out your yahoo creds)

https://ne1-attach.ymail.com/au.f1212.mail.yahoo.com/ya/securedownload?mid=2_0_0_1_1651463_AJoIDNkAABF%2bVMPVwgz0aHYyuQw&m=YaDownload&pid=2&fid=Inbox&inline=1&appid=yahoomail&cred=luovkFJNx6QrP7wVliWBMWOYIumIGjBX98MLTvcGEhtNXQ--&ts=1422225531&partner=ymail&sig=0EEHS9yzlc.BYujaBJD04A--

You can fly on three engines , but the max weight would be severely compromised by the need to perform with one more failure. I think it would be ferry only, and with specific permit. That sort of fan blade damage looks like it ran into a steel structure. but maybe it's hail. Nev

Origins: The photographs displayed above have been circulated since at least as far back as 2001, in versions with text attributing them to Air China as well as a number of different airlines, in each case accompanied by the claim that a ground crew had

hastily (and dangerously) repaired damaged jet engines on one of the airline's planes by using seat belts to hold them together, and the plane had taken off on a commercial flight in that state. While the pictures do show an engine that has been removed from an aircraft, when and where they were taken (and whether they have any connection to Air China or any other airline) is unknown. Nonetheless, they do not document a case of substandard repairs or an occurrence anything like the circumstances described in the accompanying text. The pictures included in the e-mail show engine fan blades that have suffered foreign object damage (FOD) such as encountering a bird strike or a hail storm, and the "seatbelts" are tie-down straps used to secure the engine to a shipping stand as it is removed from the aircraft for inspection, repair, or replacement.

Read more at http://www.snopes.com/photos/airplane/airchina.asp#D8DmvUDCe5jleUXS.99

• Informative 1

Origins: The photographs displayed above have been circulated since at least as far back as 2001, in versions with text attributing them to Air China as well as a number of different airlines, in each case accompanied by the claim that a ground crew hadhastily (and dangerously) repaired damaged jet engines on one of the airline's planes by using seat belts to hold them together, and the plane had taken off on a commercial flight in that state. While the pictures do show an engine that has been removed from an aircraft, when and where they were taken (and whether they have any connection to Air China or any other airline) is unknown. Nonetheless, they do not document a case of substandard repairs or an occurrence anything like the circumstances described in the accompanying text. The pictures included in the e-mail show engine fan blades that have suffered foreign object damage (FOD) such as encountering a bird strike or a hail storm, and the "seatbelts" are tie-down straps used to secure the engine to a shipping stand as it is removed from the aircraft for inspection, repair, or replacement.

Read more at http://www.snopes.com/photos/airplane/airchina.asp#D8DmvUDCe5jleUXS.99

Hey FT, don't let the truth get in the way of a good story.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Thanks FT . . . .

I had not seen this one before, but as I said at the beginning,. . . . it looked a bit Suss, which is why I posted it ( in the giggles tray. ) It's no good pointing out the bit about "seatbelts" to the "OMG" Brigade of regurgitative internetters mate, . . I'll bet they wouldn't know what a "P" strop was either. . . . .and as for FOD. . . . . .

part of the scam is reinforcing people's pre-existing bias,

"Them Asians".

I have no real concern for the engineer's side of it, I have worked with enough Chinese to know their highs and lows, I am more worried about ground crew stuffups and reporting such as tyre condition.