Accident at Gawler South Australia

Let me clarify, the sonex airframe I believe is very sound. If I were to build, I was thinking of the aerovee turbo engine. I am not off the idea, but does make me a little uncomfortable knowing a brand new one had an engine failure.

The sonex can be purchased at different levels of kit manufacture or even plans built.

I see this accident as having very little to do with Sonex and 99% to do with building this aircraft.

Take this incident as "This is what can happen to a home built aircraft" (any aircraft).

If you intend to build make sure you have the skill set and mind set to do it.

• Like 1

Imagine the carry on had it been Jab powered!!!!

Actually I think powering them with a jab is a good idea. They are a fast aircraft so with the right ducting, head cooling shouldn't be a issue. The 3300 Jab powered ones go really well.

• Agree 3

The onex looks like a brilliant one seater. Downunder and Dazza have it correct I think. Great that the pilots ok. Remember, any landing you walk away from is a good one.

• Informative 1

No, it doesn't take 3 policemen and 2 cars, probably a fire crew or two and many other official hanger'onrs to "secure" the area.

So your happy for 2 fire crews to stay behind and secure the area, but not 3 policemen who are trained in preserving evidence and actually have legal standing to prevent access and move people on?

The ATSB are responsible for deciding on the course of action. From experience with a recent wheels up landing they required the police to secure the aircraft until high definition forensic photos could be taken (there were no major injuries either).

Glad the pilot got out okay.

• Agree 1

Off topic; Ok, there's been a crash and the guys ok - obviously much later, why is there still 3 policemen and 2 police cars still there.Can only be topped by American police for wasting taxpayers time, i.e. money, well after the incident.

As far as im concerned you can have the whole police force standing around with hands in pocket .

Better there than lurking behind a bush waiting to nab someone for doing 2 ks over .

Cops think everyones a suspect ,

eaven amongst their own ranks

( latest shite from the tv )

As far as wasting tax $

I heard eack cop cost .20 c a day to run

Just saying .

A mate got booked and said to the cop ; your wasting my tax $ ,

Cop reached into his pocket and gave him his .20 c back , and booked him.

• Like 1

"Any landing you walk away from is a good one". I don't know about it being a GOOD one but it is better than the ones you can't walk away from. Mostly GOOD ones are the ones you do when no one's watching. Nev

• Agree 1

I don't think the high definition photos would show much difference to iones taken on a "Box Brownie" (Now that's showing my age), in relation to a wheels up landing.

The wheels would still be inside the wings and fuselage.

• Agree 1

Well, if I were a cop and in the area, I'd go have a look because it would be something different from the usual junkies, dickheads and nutters.

Yeah, nah, they are paid with my money to keep the junkies, dickheads and nutters away from us, not to decide what they personally want to do.

I agree with Avocet that they are dis-proportionally used for traffic as well.

From : https://www.raa.asn.au/accident-and-incident-summary-2015/

"Initial test flight after Taxi Trials and Ground Running - Normal Take Off & Climb Out (Rwy 23) at 3200 RPM, until approximately 300 ft when a rapid increase in all Cyl Temp was noted to over limits: (Min 140 F - Max 450 F). Engine slowly decreased in RPM to 2500 RPM with a significant power loss. 70 Kts was maintaining with lowering nose while positioning for landing on Rwy 13. Advised "All Traffic" that 8568 was positioning for immediate landing on Rwy 13. Established 65 kts with zero flap on Final Descent to Rwy 13 when Aircraft stalled at approximately 100 ft AGL with a Right Wing Drop. Aircraft impacted ground and caught fire and Pilot exited aircraft. Canopy had shattered enabling Pilots exit"

Published clean stall straight and level is around 44 knots. From my limited experience in 4 different Sonex airframes, they stall around the published figures.

Not mentioned but I know the aircraft also had hand controls fitted for the owner

• Agree 1
  • Informative 3