Accident at Gawler South Australia

Fly Safe

R W:rotary:

From ABC News

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-02-02/man-walks-from-light-plane-crash-in-sa/6063862

A man has walked from the burning wreckage of a light plane crash north of Adelaide with only minor injuries.

Emergency crews were called to Gawler Airfield about 3:15pm (ACDT) after reports a light plane had crashed and was on fire.

The CFS said the home-built aircraft lost power during take-off and crashed at the end of the runway before bursting into flames.

About $50,000 in damage was caused to the plane in the incident.

The SA Ambulance Service said a man in his 50s was treated for minor injuries.

From Adelaide Now

Photo of the wreckage in Link

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/mans-miraculous-escape-after-home-built-kit-plane-crashes-at-gawler/story-fni6uo1m-1227205317118

A GLIDER pilot dived from the sky to help a man whose light aircraft crashed at Gawler Aerodrome in the the second incident at the airfield today.

Adelaide Soaring Club gliding branch chief flying instructor Rob Richter was about 300m above the ground when he saw the homemade single seater plane crash and catch fire beneath him about 3.10pm.

The 50-year-old experienced pilot aboard the light aircraft escaped the crash with minor injuries.

He was treated by paramedics at the scene and taken to hospital for further assessment.

About two hours earlier, another pilot escaped injury after making an emergency landing when the rudder on his sports aircraft jammed.

He was not injured in the crash.

Of the later incident, Mr Richter said the plane appeared to take off and climb normally to about 50m before sustaining engine failure.

He said the plane had been airborne for only about 30 seconds.

“The pilot tried to get back on the runway and he was that low when he turned that it just hit the ground on the final turn,” he said.

“I watched from the air and it was flying fast and low.

“The wingtip hit the ground together with the nose at the same time and it slid about 20 to 30 yards.”

Mr Richter, who has 30 years’ flying experience, said he immediately descended and landed his glider next to the wreckage, fearing the pilot had died.

He said the pilot was standing near the aircraft, which had caught fire and was starting to burn.

“I was elated to see him standing in front of the aircraft,” he said.

“He had a lacerated head and hands. We (Mr Richter and his student) had a first aid kit and put a bandage on him.

“We didn’t talk about the crash at all.

“He is a very lucky man.”

Glad the pilot is ok, shame about the plane, I am hoping that the report is not true about trying to get back to the runway from that height, very luck man if this is the case as it has claimed many a pilot in the dreaded EFATO and turn back attempt.

• Agree 2

An interesting sequence of events. Good on the Glider pilot. Not the sort of day you would want every day.Like a bit more details on the turn back aspect. If as described, He is indeed lucky. No doubt more information will be forthcoming. Nev

I am learning to fly out of Gawler, very close to home!!

As I said before, glad to hear everyone is ok from both incidents. I would like to know more around the incident, re what aircraft, was it a first flight, ect.

• Agree 1

I can confirm its a Onex

The test pilot is very experienced, owns an RV, has test flown several Sonex marque aircraft amongst others and is building a Onex

I am very relieved he is OK

Please less of the BS like turn the back theory crap, and all the other rubbish the know it alls come out without the facts

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

AJ,

Obviously the media didn't understand what the instructor who apparently witnessed it from above said and wrote it differently then?

No one is saying that he did, I was only hoping what was written wasn't the fact, nothing more nothing less.

So no one is really BS ing here, only commenting on what was written, and we all know what the media is like.

• Agree 3
  • Caution 1

No matter how the pilot go the aircraft on the ground he did so and suffered only minor injuries. Just after take of is a critical and dangerous stage of flight. Well done! I do feel for the builder who was no doubt present and has seen his pride and joy go up in flames after years of hard work.

• Agree 5

Off topic; Ok, there's been a crash and the guys ok - obviously much later, why is there still 3 policemen and 2 police cars still there.

Can only be topped by American police for wasting taxpayers time, i.e. money, well after the incident.

I was flying in the circuit area when it happened. The Onex was on its first flight. It took off on 23 then turned right and did a very low turn onto runway 13 ( 270 degrees total turn) and landed very heavily on 13 . Then people noticed the fire and the pilot get out.

Yes you are right Bex, there were about 5 police cars came and they had nothing to do. The ambulance didn't have much to do either, but the firetruck dowsed the hot remains. I landed then came with my small fire-extinguisher and it wasn't needed.

I think it possible that the fire was caused by the very heavy landing, maybe the battery broke loose to short on the metal and the fuel-tanks were ruptured and leaking.

What caused the loss of power in the Volkswagen engine is not known, but the previous day the plane did several high-speed taxi tests with a different pilot. It is a possibility that the fire started in the air, the pilot will know I guess.

The owner was in England.

It was a great relief to see the pilot get out.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Off topic; Ok, there's been a crash and the guys ok - obviously much later, why is there still 3 policemen and 2 police cars still there.Can only be topped by American police for wasting taxpayers time, i.e. money, well after the incident.

Probably because they had been told to secure the area until investigators arrived to take over responsibility for the crash scene. Police are the first link in the investigation chain and sometimes the last.

Give them a break...

Kaz

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

Probably because they had been told to secure the area until investigators arrived to take over responsibility for the crash scene. Police are the first link in the investigation chain and sometimes the last.Give them a break...

Kaz

No, it doesn't take 3 policemen and 2 cars, probably a fire crew or two and many other official hanger'onrs to "secure" the area.

It's my beef and I'll have that with pepper sauce thanks.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I hope we hear what happened. I was dreaming of building a sonex on day but not so sure now

From all reports it had an engine problem on take off. It has nothing to do with being a sonex or some other aircraft. Does the last road accident you saw on TV make you stop driving?

• Agree 3

Let me clarify, the sonex airframe I believe is very sound. If I were to build, I was thinking of the aerovee turbo engine. I am not off the idea, but does make me a little uncomfortable knowing a brand new one had an engine failure.