Wind Turbine Hazard to Aviation

A combination of technologies would work well if set up properly.A high and low hydro dam setup in partnership with solar and wind, you could use the hydro basically as a battery (the bigger the dams you are able to use the better power storage) when the sun was shining or wind was blowing you could use the power generated to pump the water up to the high dam so it was ready to be used to generate whenever needed.

Locations could vary, I guess you would need a hill or at least a rise in terrain but otherwise could nearly be set up in most places

Maybe the hydro setup in the snowies already use a similar idea?

Wivenhoe dam has a pumped storage arrangement. It was installed to provide a degree of load levelling of Thermal stations in SEQ before renewables came on line. In the renewable world of today they are more relevant than ever as provided watr quantities top and bottom are adequate the storage period is a lot longer each day. As installed the purpose of pumped storage was to absorb "shoulder" generation. The other advantages have been rapid load matching and security if a cascade event ever occurs. It takes a huge amount of power to restart the Thermal stations if they all fall over (assuming minimal physical damage).

Regarding the pictures and clip GG posted with the fire in the wind turbine. Because of the distributed public locations of these devices any passer by with a phone can take footage. With established Thermal stations the "Smoke Escapement" events are mostly behind closed doors. An error in manufacture or operation tends to let the smoke out. Being up high inaccessible and in the wind tends to make sensational footage. Oil well fires are even more spectacular. Coal stockpile fires don't look real spectacular most times but stink plenty, ask the folks of Morwell.

Something that I'd like to get across is the annual "Earth Hour" game is destructive. For that hour the Thermal stations world wide are forced to blow steam. The boilers have to run at over capacity as, when the joke ends, the load comes back on HARD. I hope this fiasco does not lead to a Chernobyl style event, rememember that disaster was caused by an experiment in power reduction gone wrong (at the bewitching hour).

I try and keep things in balance and correct, I earn my crust as a Lecky and have put my money where my mouth is regarding Solar. It cost me heaps and for the privilege of supporting the weak grid in my area I get paid bugger all.

The upside for me is my equipment works better with the designed voltage being delivered to motors (yeah I have a few). Prior to installing my own system we were being supplied 218 Volts in the middle of the day. My mulcher for instance used to stop and reverse on branches much smaller than design capacity, now it just powers on.

So all in all Aircraft owners and pilots must be a bit smarter than the average bear, just keep researching and apply the sceptical "what is your interest" test to the self serving propaganda from both the "Inner city left whinge" and the "make me rich at your expense" crowd.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As soon as the price difference gets sufficient with the peak and off peak rates, even batteries will do the job. I heard some "expert" saying it could get to an 8 X differential. That won't happen. Solar power is becoming so cheap, storage is a goer. Get scrap lead and make your own deep cycle batteries with glass compartments. Nev

We set up a comprehensive solar system on our block to power two sheds and a house. It was $60k using quality components, but connecting to the grid was going to cost well in excess of $50k due to distance factors and transformer upgrades.

The other day during a huge storm we were the only block within a 10km radius with power for many hours! And we get no bills.

• Agree 2

don't mind tinkering in the bush myself[/quoteOK Adam,. . . . .but I'd REALLY like to know your angle on. . . . ." Tinkering ". . . . . . .? No offence intended cobber,. . .but I have certain standards to uphold, and I have met a few . . .er, . . ."Tinkerers" before, and they didn't all want to sharpen the Wife's kitchen knives. . . . . . . whaddyer TINK ? ? ? ?

We set up a comprehensive solar system on our block to power two sheds and a house. It was $60k using quality components, but connecting to the grid was going to cost well in excess of $50k due to distance factors and transformer upgrades.The other day during a huge storm we were the only block within a 10km radius with power for many hours! And we get no bills.

Very Impressed DR. . . . I bought ( for a trifling amount ) one of two emergency generators which were installed in a pumping station which was being demolished. The power source is a three cylinder diesel, and the genset can supply a peak load of 31.8 Kva,. . .and a constant load of 28. . . .during a recent power outage following the winter storms, I had several long extension leads running over my back garden fence, connected to some very grateful neighbours, who, following the restoration of local power 23 hours later, donated between them 300 litres of red diesel ( tax free ) as a thank you, and It had only used 85 . . . .! I guessed at the time of purchase that it would come in useful one day, only problem is, the Wife needs another shed to keep her gardening paraphernalia ! ! ** Edited to add ** Strangely enough,. . .nobody complained about generator noise either ! ! !

That sounds more like a small quarry...The BIG mines leave great areas that have no more in common with the natural order of things for the area they have destroyed then neat orderly rows of pine trees in the plantations on the South Coast.

I guess that this was probably the reason that the indigenous population of Bougainville got somewhat Pi$$ed off at Rio Tinto for digging big holes in their country, and went to war about it. . . . We don't hear much about this in the UK, we are pretty well isolated here by selective world reporting. . . .unless the BBC are running Red Nose Day, or some other fundraiser, then world history isn't politically correct news, Especially if it might upset a major US based conglomerate like Rio Tinto, or Exide,. . . . I wonder if anyone has any info / memories of the Bougainville war . . .? ( Another thread perhaps. . .)

I flew in there a few times in the late seventies, and the tension was palpable. . . . but I pretended that I was from England, not Aussie, nor Americun. . . . . ( ? ) Don't want to open any wormcans. . . .

Phil

• Agree 1

This thread should be renamed -talkin' 'bout my generation.

"YOU TRYIN TO CAUSE A B-B-B-B-BIG S-S-S SENSATION. . . . .W-W-W-What is it you're tryin to S-S-S-Say ? ?

WHY DONCHA JUST F-F-F-F-F-F- feel that it isn't worth getting canned by moderators. . . . .