Can you spot the mistake ?

PHILIt was more intended to point out how stupid some of what is coming out of CASA currently. I have been doing either a BFR or instrument renewal since they invented it (I don't remember BFRs 35 yrs ago?) but if you want to fly one has to put up with whatever crap they keep coming up with.

In case you are not across it, with the new CASRs everyone with an existing licence has to apply for a new Lic within a 3yr period at the occurrence of a "trigger event".

Sorry Frank. . . I mis-read part of your post. I can only guess at the meaning of the term Trigger Event. . . . and I'm not across BFR either . . .oh dear. . . perhaps you could educate me further within the context of aviation matters . . . I'd never come across BMI for pilots. . .until I had to take a BMI checkride with an instructor, some years ago when I was quite a BIG bloke. . . . this was introduced following an accident ALLEGEDLY caused when a very rotund pilot reached forward to operate some control or other, and his guts pushed the yoke forward at a critical phase of a landing and the aircraft pitched down and was seriously damaged.

I didn't have to do any flying, just sit in the seat and operate all and any controls without my then ample belly interfering with the yoke. I called this a "Fat Bugger Checkride" , and confused CFI David Wood so much that he annotated "FB check" on my logbook stamp.

( Yep. . . too much information I know. . .sorry ) Phil

After leaving school many years ago, I went to Morse House Radio Telecommunications College in London with a view to becoming a Radio Officer in the Merchant Marine. Morse code broke me. Walking down a street I would read out shop names in code, dreamt code and finally had a minor break-down. My brain just couldn't deal with it. In a way it was a good thing as radio officers are now a thing of the past on most ships, but more importantly, it made me join the airforce and look to the skies.

Strangely enough, I was also one of those who was afraid to use the radio when I first started flying. Always wondered who was listening in. One day, it just clicked and I thought, what the hell, if I make a mistake, I make a mistake and some-one will surely ask for clarification.

• Like 3

A story was doing the rounds many years ago about two military types telling each other a filthy joke. A Wren (Navy lady) came into the mess, so they continued the joke using morse. They went very red when she beat them to the punch line. You indeed never know who is listening!

I spotted it within about ten seconds,. . . .does that make me a saddoe I wonder ?

I thought that morse code had been declared dead and buried.

But basically only old frrts like me would be checking the morse, just to see if we can remember it.

And the quicker you spot it, the older you must be!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I thought that morse code had been declared dead and buried.But basically only old frrts like me would be checking the morse, just to see if we can remember it.

And the quicker you spot it, the older you must be!

Quite right Pete. . . morse shoud really be gone by now, although the few remaining NDBs and VOR stations still use a morse ident,. . . .( the alternative is of course, Voice Ident. . . ) misidentification of Two Letter morse beacon idents caused a few accidents in the early years too, . . .a pilot flew his C-172 from Aberdeen, intending to fly to Manchester on a night flight, and inadvertantly identified the manchester beacon (MN ) as NM. . . .which was an oil rig in the North Sea. . . .after realising his error too late, he splashed into the oggin 40Nm short of land and out of fuel. . . . then there was the party of schoolkids on a night flight from the UK to Norway, when the crew reversed the letters on the nav beacon and set one several hundred miles away,. . .on the MF bands, these signals could "Skip" a very long way at night,. . . they flew into a mountain top near Stavanger spreading the kiddies all over the hillside. . . I think the plane was a DeHavilland Heron, or something like that . . . ( have not looked at Wiki ) although this was in the late fifties / early sixties. Hopefully there are better navaids available now. . . . . but morse IS still in use for various ground aids here in the UK, and that's why it is included in the commercial licence syllabus, albeit only at ten words per min. . . . When the VORs are all de-commissioned in favour of satnav / DGPS then the brain will probably not be taxed so much. . .? However, it must be said that it is a lasting tribute to Mr. Morse for thinking it up in the first place,. . .it has certainly done a bit of good. . . .

I found that saying out loud in morse the rego numbers of passing cars as I was walking home from the ATC cadet evenings ( via the fish and chip shop. . .) always helped the training along a bit !

Phil

PHILThe advantage of flying in North Qld - if you can get an ident it will be the correct one, no others for 100 plus miles.

I wonder if the remaining NDB stations are still using ten watt output transmitters Frank ? that's all they ran when I was flying around the country,. . . and this could be what you're alluding to I guess. . .DCA lauded them as really good, because they were "Transistorised" technology and used hardly any electric power, but the range was still not much more that about 25 - 30 NM in some cases, depending upon terrain / acft cruising height. . . still, quite useful and certainly better than nowt.

( By the way, I've decoded an abbreviation used in one of your recent posts,. . "BFR" we have a similar procedure in the UK, called a biennial revalidation check flight ( brcf ? ? ) but we don't use a common abbreviation for it, it's currently known as the 2 year Reval; so I apologise for sounding thick in response to that post ! We seem to have some convoluted abbreviations for nearly everything else to do with aviating though. . . . . )

Phil

BFR is now AFR - Aeroplane Flight Review.rgmwa

Sorry - its not called an Aircraft Flight Review (AFR) but still a BFR - check ops manual 7 and you will find that in the abbreviation section BFR is defined and in the flight review sections (all of them) the flight review within 24 months is noted to the RAA on the "BFR reporting form"

Still amazed why people are getting all GA-like over aircraft specific bits in the RAA Ops Manual - there is NO enforceable requirement for AIRCRAFT specific flight review or sign off AT ALL.

There are Features of aircraft and groups of aircraft and if you have the collector set of features and groups you can fly ANY RAA registered aircraft that fits the grab bag you hold.

So for me I have (under OPs 7)

Groups A, B and C (3axis, weightshift and combined controls)

Endorsements PAX, R X 2S and TW (Passenger, Radio, Cross country, 2stroke and Tailwheel)

I 'lost' three endorsements I used to have because they were removed from Ops 7 (HP LP and HF)

And before someone shouts "RAA OPs 2.05 para 13 - type training" have a go at actually seeing HOW that works and WHERE operationally that can be enforced through the actual fleet of RAA aircraft.

Hint - particularly look at single seaters of individual construction (and indeed arguably all home built RAA aircraft because they are all actually individual in terms of final aircraft) where nobody on the letter of OPs 7 is EVER permitted to first fly any aircraft registered!! No pilot, no instructor, nobody can never meet these requirement - Ops 7 in this area is SO poorly written as to be ineffective ... anyone wanting to challenge me on this can point the ops manager at me and my home built own design weightshift (self design of both wing and trike) because I will fly it (once the RAA give it registration) and I alone will fly it - nobody else ever. Full stop.

Not according to CAAP 58.1-1(1), although it may still be referred to as BFR in the RAA Ops manual, and probably in various other organisation's manuals as well. However, the stamps in my logbook confirm that in August last year and also two years before that, I passed an Aeroplane Flight Review. (Nothing to do with the `aircraft' by the way). There's nothing particularly wrong with calling a 2-yearly review a BFR (Biennial Flight Review), however CASA obviously now prefers the more general term AFR. http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:OLDASSET::svPath=/main/download/caaps/ops/,svFileName=5_81_1.pdf

rgmwa

Not according to CAAP 58.1-1(1), although it may still be referred to as BFR in the RAA Ops manual, and probably in various other organisation's manuals as well. However, the stamps in my logbook confirm that in August last year and also two years before that, I passed an Aeroplane Flight Review. (Nothing to do with the `aircraft' by the way). There's nothing particularly wrong with calling a 2-yearly review a BFR (Biennial Flight Review), however CASA obviously now prefers the more general term AFR. http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:OLDASSET::svPath=/main/download/caaps/ops/,svFileName=5_81_1.pdfrgmwa

RAA Ops manual wins - RAA pilots are not subject to CAAP 58.1-1 directly and but ARE subject to the OPs manual directly.

As far as your examiner putting a stamp in your log book that says its an aeroplane flight review that's not critical to creating it as an RAA acronym - under ops manual 2.07 (5)(b) the entry by the examiner has just to be that an RAA flight review is completed satisfactorily and then the BFR form has to be completed and returned to RAA.

Many examiners are also GA schools and stamps for GA required it to be called one thing ... they can be used for RAA as a simplification but that's not what is required by the ops manual.

And in addition, CASA may call it an aeroplane flight review in CAAP BUT they signed off on the OPs Manual calling an equivalent item in RAA aircraft an BFR so CASA do not 'prefer' one over the other as you put it - they endorse BOTH for different purposes.

I wonder if the remaining NDB stations are still using ten watt output transmitters Frank ? that's all they ran when I was flying around the country,. . . and this could be what you're alluding to I guess. . .DCA lauded them as really good, because they were "Transistorised" technology and used hardly any electric power, but the range was still not much more that about 25 - 30 NM in some cases, depending upon terrain / acft cruising height. . . still, quite useful and certainly better than nowt.

I call these visual NDBs. You have to be able to see them before you can pick up the signal. 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

DWF

• Like 1

I call these visual NDBs. You have to be able to see them before you can pick up the signal. 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gifDWF

Really that bad Don ? ? ? I remember using a couple for back bearings when leaving a site thus equipped at dusk and flying into the night, . . . gave you a really good idea of the wind actual, and allowed for counteracting drift, ( if you knew how to do it ! ! ) We have a loud one down the road LIC ( Lichfield ) this was used for a long time to home aircraft into Birmingham when it was still named "Elmdon" airport. . . it's still running, and the range is really good. . . there are a couple more on the extended centrelines of rwys 33/15 at EGBB, called the Golf Xray and the Golf Mike, but these are just fairly low powered locators to help line up with the Brum ILS localiser. . . . I like OLD technology,. . .probably because I'm an old fa*t . . .

Phil