OzRunways V5 New Weather in PE

One of the best safety things since sliced bread

OzRunways V5 now has the TAF weather in plain English as well as the (unreadable) international format

This will add to safety for the all pilots easy to understand weather reports

One day the CASA, Air Services might ask pilots what is needed to make flying safer

Well done OzRunways, am sure AV Plan will follow soon

My 2 cents worth

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

...and it also has tracking and traffic (i.e. nearbyy traffic using OzRunways).

I saw that in their last email but haven't had time to try it out yet, certainly not foolproof but every little bit helps.

I flew with it yesterday. The traffic notification seems like a good idea although I don't really like the red shading that appears on your map around your location. There must be a way of reducing its intensity.

We wrote plain text weather about 18 months ago. Didn't turn it on as we realised it broke one of the contract requirements with NAIPS (that we pass through weather unmodified). We asked for this to be changed and are still waiting.

We don't intend to break the conditions of our license agreements without something from the Airservices lawyers I'm afraid.

As for the rest of the stuff they have put in - we've had it all for a while now :-)

One of the best safety things since sliced breadOzRunways V5 now has the TAF weather in plain English as well as the (unreadable) international format

This will add to safety for the all pilots easy to understand weather reports

One day the CASA, Air Services might ask pilots what is needed to make flying safer

Well done OzRunways, am sure AV Plan will follow soon

My 2 cents worth

It's a good learning tool, but I hope people don't see it as an excuse not to learn. There are a number of good reasons to know how to read standard format aviation reports/forecasts. The main one from a practical sense is that once you do know how to read them, you can pick up a lot of information from a quick scan of a report. Saves time when planning but also is useful in the air. With the new iwatch for example, you can have an entire metar or taf on your wrist and pick up the key points in a couple of seconds from the one screen....all of that being said, as a learning tool it's great. If you see something in a report that you don't understand, it's good to be able to change tabs and have it right there. I doubt the international format will be changed anytime soon. Reading weather reports is a pretty basic skill it isn't an unreasonable expectation to think that a pilot of any class should be able to learn it.

We wrote plain text weather about 18 months ago. Didn't turn it on as we realised it broke one of the contract requirements with NAIPS (that we pass through weather unmodified). We asked for this to be changed and are still waiting.We don't intend to break the conditions of our license agreements without something from the Airservices lawyers I'm afraid.

As for the rest of the stuff they have put in - we've had it all for a while now :-)

There are two tabs in OzR. The unmodified version still exists. The TAF Graph in OzR is another manipulation of the same data that is far more useful than the plain english thing. I'd hate to see that disappear because of some pesky lawyers.

One thing that I don't like about the new traffic feature is that you cant see the traffic without broadcasting your own position. I was having a play on the bus top work this morning and suspect that I might have been broadcasting as traffic even though I was on the ground.....

Hey - Rowan from OzRunways,

The live tracking won't send your position when below 200 ft and 50kts. This is a deliberate design feature as we don't want pilots seeing cars on their maps!

Keenaviator: Once you've taken a look at restricted airspace, you can turn it off from the Small Cogs menu → Airspace.

If anybody has any problems, hit us up at help.ozrunways.com

• Like 4
  • Helpful 3

Ah there's no edit/delete in-app yet, but email me the details and I'll remove/edit it from our server directly.

Hi Rowan

Great release. Had a look at tracking - I use Safari on a Macbook Pro - moving around maps is way too sensitive -s this a problem with Safari or from your end?

Rowen - while I understand the need to filter data, a 50kt Ground Speed gate will filter out gliders

while thermaling or in mountain wave conditions where GS of less than 50kts are regularly experienced.

Even a glider tug climbing at 70kts into a 25kts wind would be flittered out.

I'm sure other users would like to see this traffic.

• Like 1

Ah there's no edit/delete in-app yet, but email me the details and I'll remove/edit it from our server directly.

actually emailed you guys mth or 2 ago........yet to receive a reply.

R

Problem......adding fuelling info needs modifying.....eg

Some sites have both fuels, avgas and avtur, but currently you cannot include both types in our posting. ( it's one or the other )

Unable to post what payment method is required. ( important info )

More to come..

R

Russ -- thanks, you can add multiple points (just add one for avgas, one for jet), then put in some comments for things like Visa / MasterCard support. Sorry I'm not sure which email we didn't answer, but we try to get over everything answered the same day and most straight away. Normally simple things we can answer immediately but more complex feature requests/specific problems are queued up until we have a block of time to answer & fix in detail.

Skysurferau -- The algorithm for determining airborne is more complex than what I described but should pick up all flying (even very slow aircraft) and keep things on screen even during touch and go's, hover/ground effect and taxi off the runway, but turn it off after being on the ground too long so it doesn't activate on the drive home.

peterg -- I don't think it's our site; we're just using the normal Google Maps view (and overlaying the traffic on top) so I would have thought it would be fine. I'm not having any issues here...

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

Can we only get TAF in plain talkWhat about area?

Have you seen the weather feature in the flight planning screen in Oz runways? It's far more useful than a plain weather area forecast. It basically shows the various aspects of the area forecast overlayed on your flight path. There really isn't much decoding needed after that.

• Agree 2

Russ -- thanks, you can add multiple points (just add one for avgas, one for jet), then put in some comments for things like Visa / MasterCard support. Sorry I'm not sure which email we didn't answer, but we try to get over everything answered the same day and most straight away. Normally simple things we can answer immediately but more complex feature requests/specific problems are queued up until we have a block of time to answer & fix in detail.Skysurferau -- The algorithm for determining airborne is more complex than what I described but should pick up all flying (even very slow aircraft) and keep things on screen even during touch and go's, hover/ground effect and taxi off the runway, but turn it off after being on the ground too long so it doesn't activate on the drive home.

peterg -- I don't think it's our site; we're just using the normal Google Maps view (and overlaying the traffic on top) so I would have thought it would be fine. I'm not having any issues here...

YNTN as an example.......( click onto normanton, then fuelling window opens to following )

top line reads .......bowser....truck....truck+bowser

next line reads .....avgas...avtur...mogas........................( you can select only one type ) so you're saying "post" 2 independent posts, 1 for avgas, 1 for avtur. ??....

(why not.....avgas...avtur....both.)

next line reads .....name of fuel source ( eg...shell or BP )

next line reads....latest price

next line reads....SAVE

that's it............where is the "notes" section, for payments etc etc

R

Have you seen the weather feature in the flight planning screen in Oz runways? It's far more useful than a plain weather area forecast. It basically shows the various aspects of the area forecast overlayed on your flight path. There really isn't much decoding needed after that.

True but need to acces via plan sheet and have waypoint in next area.

Flying around boarders of areas would be good to access directly from map screen

Just got around to checking the tracks of my last few flights. Awesome! Easily opened and show my flightpaths with precision. It looks like it drops breadcrumbs every few seconds; should be easy to locate a missing aircraft.

Traffic didn't seem to work; all of us activated "traffic" but nobody saw any icons indicating other aircraft. What did we do wrong?