Flying with littles ones

I was wondering if anyone here has any experience flying a light aircraft with infants/babies on board.

My son is now 4 weeks old, and I reckon in a few months I could easily fit the baby capsule on the back seat of the Cessna to go to visit granddad out on the farm. The POH for the C172 even has a note about an optional baby seat in the luggage compartment but I think his mom won't approve 042_hide.gif.f5e8fb1d85d95ffa63d9b5a325bf422e.gif

My main concern is the noise, a headset is not an option yet, so how do you protect those sensitive little ears?

I started my daughter flying at 3 months in a Cherokee. Now 40 years old, it didn't hurt her. I don't remember noise being an issue, we didn't use headsets in those days but had a hand mic and overhead speaker.

I thought they had to be able to exit by themselves?

There's a CAAP on the carriage of children and infants (235-2) that has some info on how to fit a child restraint, it's mostly focused on RPT but it does mention GA. It doesn't mention the ability to exit, which is precluded by using a CSR anyway even for a child that can walk.

Maybe the RAAus ops manual has something like that in it?

There are ear muffs available for littlies. Make sure that you try them on a few times at home before you take them up though just to get them used to the feel. And as Nev said be careful that they haven't got a blocked nose, bursting the eardrum of a baby would be extremely cruel.

In a quieter plane you might get away with woollen ear warmer thingys but proper muffs will ensure no damage to their little ears.

I fly with my 4 and 2 yr olds regularly but they wear a Full size headset, it wouldn't be suitable to any younger than that as it does move occasionally requiring them to readjust. On a camping/shooting trip when our youngest was only 1 I used the baby earmuffs for him and they fitted perfectly and he didn't complain at all (actually when we were finished he wanted to keep them on)

So IMHO a set of baby ear muffs would be well with the investment, they aren't expensive.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

I used to take my dear old Kelpie everywhere with me in the Auster and she had her own mutt muffs to protect her ears.

I also used to fly in those pre-headset days of hand microphone and speaker. Probably part of the reason I have attenuation deafness now.

Kaz

Maybe the RAAus ops manual has something like that in it?

Nothing in the RAAus Ops Manual except that there is only 2 seats allowed therefore, I would think only 1 passenger allowed not 1 + 1/2

Interesting that there doesn't appear to be a minimum age either, although some of the seat belts we use in the aircraft may have one.

Does anyone know?

Had a look online and found that the noise levels in a 172S is avarages around 86dB(A), whith a maximum of 101 dB(A) which would be enough to justify wearing hearing protection for an adult so I wouldn't want to expose the baby to it either. Got quite a few hard-hearing people in my family, mostly from industrial noise exposure back when it wasn't considered much of a problem, so I do take it serious.

Considering ordering a pair of these, don't seem to be any shops on the coast that stock them, but I guess they're not that expensive so worth the try. http://www.earmuffsforkids.com.au/ems4bubsbabyearmuffs

The clogged nose thing is definitely something to keep an eye on; he can't complain about ear pain yet... (and it's only a very small nose too!)

• Like 1

Nothing in the RAAus Ops Manual except that there is only 2 seats allowed therefore, I would think only 1 passenger allowed not 1 + 1/2Interesting that there doesn't appear to be a minimum age either, although some of the seat belts we use in the aircraft may have one.

Does anyone know?

A kid under 18kg can't use the normal seatbelt, might have a look if there's anything in the ops manual about CSRs in RA-Aus aircraft? I will be flying a GA aircraft though, so we have someone who can monitor the baby without interfering with flying.

If your flying a C172 then the RAAus Ops manual while interesting reading is in fact for that aircraft redundant.You could check out here http://www.earmuffsforkids.com.au/aboutus

or if you search ebay for hearing protection baby there are stacks of things to consider

Andy

Do you (or anyone else here) have experience with those Em for bubs ear muffs?

And yes the RA-Aus manual is of accademic interest only here :) as said, I don't think having to deal with the baby and flying at the same time is safe, especially as a low time pilot, so a two seater is out of the question.

I had a look at the applicable CAAP and there's nothing in there about a minimum age but there is some interesting stuff about the use of car seats in aircraft. Australia has it's own standard that is different from the rest of the world (which uses ISOFIX) in that it has a top strap which needs an anchor point that Cessna (and Airbus/Boeing) doesn't supply, but apparently some seats have a separate 'mode' for use in the air without the top strap.

Guest Andys@coffs

Nope sorry....when my kids were that age I couldn't afford to fly, instead I was wrecking regularly RC models (which in retrospect was probably not that different to the cost of flying if you consider rental and not owning....)

Andy

Shove the dummy in before descent. Chewing helps open the eustacean tubes. I burst an eardrum on descent once Pretty painful...Nev

Yes, and I'll be doing a reeeeaaally slow descent too.

Re: earmufffirkids.com

I bought a set for my little guy so we could take him to my other children's school concert. It's basically a soft elastic headband with valcro at each end. The ear muffs themselves are clipped on so it slides along the headband for you to adjust (or fumble with).

It seemed to work at the concert for noise coz the little guy slept like a charm, although babies will probably sleep through a metal concert if they're tired enough.

Definitely need to fit them on at home and perhaps try it out in the car on a trip first. They're a soft fitting (tighten with valcro as you feel comfortable for bubs), so it's pretty easy for bubs to pull them off. It took a little while for my kid to get comfortable enough to leave them on

• Informative 1