RPL instrument time

Why do pilots like Aldo ect, who regulary flys cross country have to do a Nav as a part of their AFR ? Sounds like a money grab to me.

There are plenty of people who fly into our airfield and have managed to find us (not hard with a GPS) but haven't prepared for arrival by reading ERSA, can't read a wind sock, follow the Foxbat doing cross wind landing practice on the shortest strip in their fast little number instead of using a sealed 1000 metre into wind runway etc etc etc. So just because someone does a nav doesn't mean they do it well. The inbound radio chatter is sometimes unbelievable, more so if they are flying in company. Having said that a lot of that can be covered on the ground, but a short nav with diversion doesn't hurt once in a while. People can talk the talk on the ground but to do it all while they are flying is where you find out if they are the real deal.

There are not too many people in aviation to make a fortune (because you can't) and those that rip off are soon out of the game. I would suggest anyone who has been around a few years would have a reputation that can be checked.

• Agree 1

I hope he's not with Ryanair or he'll be pushed to buy a new bicycle.

Maybe. . . . . that's why he has to instruct for a few pennies between RPL trips . . . .isn't that called "Going home to carry bricks "?

Why do pilots like Aldo ect, who regulary flys cross country have to do a Nav as a part of their AFR ? Sounds like a money grab to me.

Dazza

I don't mind as it is a check to see that I haven't developed any bad habits, most of my flights are on my own (pilot wise) and even though I do a self check following most flights the most objective way is to have someone else do that check as I'm no different to anyone else in that I think I fly reasonably well in most situations.

I will also do most of my nav review under the hood (IF) so I will use it as a knowledge/skill enhancing check at the same time.

Aldo

• Agree 1

I'm not lawyer, so if CASA give me advice 0n how to follow their own regulations via a CAAP, I'll follow that until the CAAP is rescinded or amended.

The CAAP 166-1 on Non-towered airport procedures caused much confusion and debate There is also a note "Note: Read this advisory publication in conjunction with the appropriate regulations/orders."

Aldo

I gather you are flying IFR ? If so why are you doing a BFR.? Or are you referring to a RAA Bfr/Afr because they will not accept an instrument renewal as a BFR?

Perhaps it's just my interruptation of your posts re your current flying.

AldoI gather you are flying IFR ? If so why are you doing a BFR.? Or are you referring to a RAA Bfr/Afr because they will not accept an instrument renewal as a BFR?

Perhaps it's just my interruptation of your posts re your current flying.

Frank

No, sorry if I gave the wrong impression I am doing an instrument rating at the moment (theory at the moment) but this is a BFR I will just utilise the time spent on the nav part as IF as I will have a rated instructor with me. The GA BFR covers the requirements for RAA.

Aldo

• Like 1

Executed low level manoeuvres in spotting configuration

Where on earth does this fit into a normal BFR? You won't be doing this unless you are renewing a LL Rating in GA, and that means your testing instructor must be a Flight Examiner (ATO) for this rating. And, if you were to do your RAAus BFR at LL - it won't substitute for the GA LL Rating renewal, whereas the other way, it will. Perhaps some of the flying schools are exceeding their capabilities? happy days,

• Like 1

Where on earth does this fit into a normal BFR? You won't be doing this unless you are renewing a LL Rating in GA, and that means your testing instructor must be a Flight Examiner (ATO) for this rating. And, if you were to do your RAAus BFR at LL - it won't substitute for the GA LL Rating renewal, whereas the other way, it will. Perhaps some of the flying schools are exceeding their capabilities? happy days,

Poteroo

This is a GA BFR as I said in the post above and it does cover my RA flight review as well, although every other year I do a review in a drifter just to keep myself up to date. Feel free to come and check out my testing instructor (I'm sure he'll welcome it).

Pretty sure I've got a handle on my BFR's and the ratings I have to cover, been doing them for a while.

Aldo

PoterooThis is a GA BFR as I said in the post above and it does cover my RA flight review as well, although every other year I do a review in a drifter just to keep myself up to date. Feel free to come and check out my testing instructor (I'm sure he'll welcome it).

Pretty sure I've got a handle on my BFR's and the ratings I have to cover, been doing them for a while.

Aldo

I think you missed my point about the excrutiatingly long list of competencies that the flying school quoted for the BFR, and the fact that 'spotting' (a euphemism for mustering btw), LL was involved

I think you missed my point about the excrutiatingly long list of competencies that the flying school quoted for the BFR, and the fact that 'spotting' (a euphemism for mustering btw), LL was involved

Potts

Ok sorry and yes it was about RPC to RPL not what constitutes a GA BFR.

Aldo

• 3 weeks later...

I ended up doing it at Curtis (1 hour in the sim, and I've done 1 hour familiarisation time in the Warrior and Citabria so far, no flight instrument time yet). been told I can do some of the rest (the straight and level stuff) on the nav to canberra, and then the last little bit (instrument unusual attitudes) before doing some circuits, to get CTZ/CTA.