Am I the highest hour PPL student ever?

Everyone does a pre-test because the L1 instructor (usually the Chief FI) needs to make a recommendation to CASA that a candidate is ready to do the practical exam. Some students fly ok until they are under exam conditions so chucking a less familiar body in the other seat can expose some weaknesses peculiar to that setting.Also if the L1 recommends more than a few students who fail, it's on the instructor and school. It is not unheard of to get both the authorised testing officer and someone from CASA observing the proceedings from the back seat during an exam so it's good to be sure of your weaknesses before that day

I thought this may be the case. I had to do a pre test for my RPL, and as you say they recommended me for the RPL flight test. If anything came out of that to calm my doubts, the flight examiner said my flying was at a very high standard. I thought I was substandard at the time. I forgot to retract flap when climbing out of the prec search and land and convinced myself that I had failed the test!

Busting the CTA leaving Redcliffe is a fail. Flying too close to cloud, doing steep turns before a HASSEL check etc etc. these are in the pratical test standards. Forgetting flap on climb out after you get more than 500 feet above the trees ... Ahahahaha.

We have all done it. No doubt more than once. The examiner is interested in how long it takes the student to realise the error and what the student does next. E.g. Panic then dump the flaps and drop 100 feet in two seconds, thereby going low G (fun but stoopid) or look out the window for birds and traffic, increase speed and milk the flaps up like you always meant to do it like that

While we are on the subject of war wounds, I spent most of June 2014 trying to do an RA-Aus cross country endorsement. Did not complete. The weather was insane. I was at the airfield every week day for two weeks and managed to fly four times.

This year I had three tries at flying from Canberra to Bankstown (and on to elsewhere) but got turned back by cloud. The fourth attempt was a success. I lost count but that was maybe 15 hours dual to do a 4 hour navex.

I was supposed to do my long cross country in late July or early August. I ended up booking three days in a row but every day got messed up by fog lasting until lunch or rain.

Then my wife had a baby.

The moment I booked for Thursday coming up the probability of rain increased to 90% and I found out I have a new instructor.

With luck like that and no ability to hang around an airport for weeks at a time just in case the weather clears, it's no surprise I have ...

over 140 hours total time and not even an RPL.

While we are on the subject of war wounds, I spent most of June 2014 trying to do an RA-Aus cross country endorsement. Did not complete. The weather was insane. I was at the airfield every week day for two weeks and managed to fly four times.This year I had three tries at flying from Canberra to Bankstown (and on to elsewhere) but got turned back by cloud. The fourth attempt was a success. I lost count but that was maybe 15 hours dual to do a 4 hour navex.

I was supposed to do my long cross country in late July or early August. I ended up booking three days in a row but every day got messed up by fog lasting until lunch or rain.

Then my wife had a baby.

The moment I booked for Thursday coming up the probability of rain increased to 90% and I found out I have a new instructor.

With luck like that and no ability to hang around an airport for weeks at a time just in case the weather clears, it's no surprise I have ...

over 140 hours total time and not even an RPL.

Its tough when you have to be an adult and supposedly be responsible!! Life seems to always get in the way of flying!

I am not sure if I have posted it here, but I am actually scared of flying. about 15 years ago I got on a commercial flight for the first time, but I had to be sedated. Not a PPL yet, but you would be doing well to wipe this grin off my face at the moment!

• 2 months later...

Well Friday is the day folks. Totaled up the log books, got just over 150hrs with about 60 as PIC (been hammering the RPL). PPL flight test is booked and I am nervous as hell.

Flight plan is YRED, YBAF, YTWB, YKRY, YBSU, YRED. So Archerfield Class D, Amberly MIL (if I can get clearance). Given the timeframes, I reckon that I will be put under the hood and lost after Toowoomba, and either a diversion back to Redcliffe or perhaps to Sunshine Coast. I think the Toowoomba, Kingaroy,Sunshine coast part is just to check that I dont plan the Oakey RA2 airspace.

Trying not to over think it. Pretty confident about the ground part, my theory is sound because I read so many books on flying! The air part not so confident, I can fly the aircraft fine, but if it gets rough I struggle doing the nav stuff. Anyway, time will tell. Hopefully I can report back Friday with good news (although the weather may also put a stop to that).

• Like 2

Casa form 61-1488 is the flight test report.

Cover everything on the form for single engine plane plus all of your KDRs before the exam. There is a very HIGH probability that you will be grilled on every KDR in your theory exam.

You are not even close to being a high hour student. PM me if you want the numbers. The biggest issue for me right now is weather. It's rained or been hard overcast below minimums for 75% of my lessons since January

you need to move to where the sun shine.

Casa form 61-1488 is the flight test report.Cover everything on the form for single engine plane plus all of your KDRs before the exam. There is a very HIGH probability that you will be grilled on every KDR in your theory exam.

Yup, been over that form! One of my instructors printed it out and I went out and practiced every single maneuver. Was actually practicing short field landings yesterday when I hit the bird, which put an end to my flying for the day. Got an aircraft booked tomorrow for 2 hours, so the plan is to practice prec search and land. Will also go do forced landings (which are fine, I just keep forgetting to do my checks).

Written 3 pages of stuff on my KDR's (was only 5 questions, got 88% on the PPL test). RAC wont let you sit the test unless you have addressed your KDR's.

Can you get a RPL with a nav endorsement?

Yup, I would easily qualify for that. I am going for the PPL because I know I want to chase the CPL. I keep telling everyone I am not going to do a CPL, but I think its inevitable for me.

Yup, been over that form! One of my instructors printed it out and I went out and practiced every single maneuver. Was actually practicing short field landings yesterday when I hit the bird, which put an end to my flying for the day. Got an aircraft booked tomorrow for 2 hours, so the plan is to practice prec search and land. Will also go do forced landings (which are fine, I just keep forgetting to do my checks).Written 3 pages of stuff on my KDR's (was only 5 questions, got 88% on the PPL test). RAC wont let you sit the test unless you have addressed your KDR's.

Yup, I would easily qualify for that. I am going for the PPL because I know I want to chase the CPL. I keep telling everyone I am not going to do a CPL, but I think its inevitable for me.

good luck mate you seem to be on a role.

I went out into the training area yesterday (Tuesday) in a Hawk XP. I now have a deep appreciation for doing my exam in something a lot slower and a lot less complex.

On the subject of KDRs, see part 61.235 2(b) (i) and 2(b)(ii). If it is of interest, great. It just says "no practical exam if you can't show that you know the right answers on the day"

Well it wasn't meant to be. Weather put a stop to the flight, thunderstorms forecast at the time we are flying, plus the cloud came in at 1800' which means we cant get over the mountains.

ATO is booked all next week but he is going to try make something happen.

I did pass the ground theory part though, so kinda half done 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

After 3 failed attempts due to weather, finally got another go this morning. After some pretty scrappy flying due to lack of confidence I managed scrape through. No longer a PPL student.

I should be excited, but I am pissed of at how bad my flying was when I know I am much more capable. I am my own hardest instructor.

• Like 2

After 3 failed attempts due to weather, finally got another go this morning. After some pretty scrappy flying due to lack of confidence I managed scrape through. No longer a PPL student.I should be excited, but I am pissed of at how bad my flying was when I know I am much more capable. I am my own hardest instructor.

Congratulations mate..

Pearo. I'm like that. Always my harshest critic. I think it has to be better than fooling yourself you are an ace. Don't over do it though. Asking a student how they think they WENT is interesting. Flying is very much a personal thing and YOU get involved and it's a REAL experience. Not conjured up or hypothetical. People who fly together know who they can trust. Nev

• Agree 1

Pearo. I'm like that. Always my harshest critic. I think it has to be better than fooling yourself you are an ace. Don't over do it though. Asking a student how they think they WENT is interesting. Flying is very much a personal thing and YOU get involved and it's a REAL experience. Not conjured up or hypothetical. People who fly together know who they can trust. Nev

I was lucky, ATO was a practical pilot, he said the main aim of the test is to make sure you are not going to kill yourself or someone else. As long as I dont bust CTA or stuff up the CTA procedures, or as long as I dont do any thing dangerous I should be fine. I though for sure I would have failed at Toowoomba, off centre and a pretty hard landing!. But I never got lost, diversions were acceptable although definitely not the best I have done. Airwork was all fine. My estimates were all within 2 minutes and my worst track error was about 2nm. Alt holding was not to flash either. At no stage was I a danger to myself or the testing officer, so I guess that scores points.

The wind did not help either. Departed at 0700 (local) so all my planning was using an older forecast. The wind was a long stronger, 25G30 in places, and I have never been up in those kinds of winds before. Everywhere I landed had strong gusting crosswinds. In hindsight, being a sailor I knew the winds would be up today, I probably should have delayed again, but its done now and the lesson has be learned.

I guess the next step for me is to go out and do some short cross country trips by myself, gain more confidence with that. Also going to do a CSU endorsement (will start that next week if I can secure an instructor) so I can fly the 182. Next year I will get stuck into tail wheel endorsement and start my IFR training. I also want to get skilled up on flying with the G1000. It seem silly to have such a useful tool in the cockpit and not use it.

Congratulations Pearo.. You are not alone in being self critical after a successful flight test, most of us are like that I'm sure, as much as we are happy to have passed the test, I for one have thought that I could've done it better... don't dwell on it too much and enjoy the milestone that you have achieved 026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I would record this here also. Proof I am no longer a PPL student. Still student, currently CSU but not sure what will come next... Going to enjoy the PPL privileges for a couple of months first.

20151215_182011.jpg

• Like 3