OzRunways & AvPlan Problems

Robbo

Hello :)

I use both AvPlan & OzRunways

Got a niggle about both...

AvPlan data must be stored on a slow server as I need to download every piece of data for Australia and overseas most of the time the server times out and data has to be downloaded over a few days.

Just installed the latest version of OzRunways and spent a few hours updating all countrys data and maps, now I cannot even open the app it just crashes.

I am running an ipad air 2 on ios 8.4

I had a chat with Bevan at Oshkosh and explained why I had gone back to OzRunways and I'd forgotten those frustrations with AvPlan download times from a year or two ago.

I now have an iPad Mini, no issues with OzRunways but I only have some of the charts.

I assume you have informed both of the problems?

Try turning off your iPad, doing a soft reboot and letting it come back up, then go into OzRunways again and you should be right.

How do you do a soft reebot?

Don't wanna do a full reset as I have over 70 gig of map data on it.

PS: When they update the app and you download it, do you lose all the map data or does it carry over to the updated app?

this is your problem right here

Thought it was a different sequence than just turning it off and on, I know my other branded tablet has a soft reset that is by holding a few buttons and not simply by turning it on and off.

FYI: That doesent fix it either, still crashes.

Robbo, give us a call (AvPlan EFB) on 03 8370 3024 and we'll sort it all out for you

Hi Bevan,

Managed to get all the maps on for Australia, so all good just took a couple of days.

One other thing, how can I download the maps for other countrys? Cannot find the menu to select them.

While we have you Bevan

Does avplan have a system that shows nearby traffic? I've just done a big trip with other aircraft over a week and one of the guys runs Ozrunways and it showed traffic using OzRunways all over the country.

I had an idea that avplan did it as well but couldn't find out how to get it going.

Any advice about that.

How do you do a soft reebot?

Hold down the power button (on top) and the home button (on the front) for about 10 or 12 seconds - the iPad will restart. No data will be lost (I've had to do several due to dodgy apps!)

mal

Hold down the power button (on top) and the home button (on the front) for about 10 or 12 seconds - the iPad will restart. No data will be lost (I've had to do several due to dodgy apps!)mal

Sadly its still crashing :(

Yes, AvPlan EFB will display live traffic. Turn on AvPlan Live (settings, User Settings). Then turn on traffic on the enroute (map) page (Map Settings, ADSB Traffic).

Yes, AvPlan EFB will display live traffic. Turn on AvPlan Live (settings, User Settings). Then turn on traffic on the enroute (map) page (Map Settings, ADSB Traffic).

OK tried that.

Nothing changes. No other aircraft activity in all of Australia shown when I do that.

Do I have to do anything else?

Is it only going to show traffic using ADSB out?

Do I need an ADSB receiver attached for that?

• Haha 1

We only send back aircraft within 200nm of you. If you want ADSB traffic, an external receiver would be required. We support a couple of commercial ones (iLevil2 SW and Sagetech Clarity) and an ADSB receiver based on a raspberry-pi which if you are somewhat technical you can build yourself

Ah. ok. Got that. I'll get onto a mate in cairns here and get him to turn on his and see if it works then.

Ok now here's a curly one.

Last week we did a trip to the Northern Territory. We flew up to Bathurst island and met a guy who flew down from further north on the island.

He uses Ozrunways.

I use avplan.

I had no naips flight plan in.

He claimed he had tracked me coming up from darwin on his Ozrunways. He said his Ozrunways identified my call sign and aircraft type when he tapped on the aircraft symbol.

Are you aware if Ozrunways can cross over to identify avplan using aircraft? Or was he Bulls...ting me?

Seemed odd to me. He showed me Ozrunways running at the time on the ground and Ozrunways did definitely display aircraft call signs and type that were flying at that instant - but I suspected they were almost certainly ozrunway-using aircraft and I guess they sent that data if Ozrunways was set up to include that data on the iPad. But seemed very odd to be getting that data from a cross-app situation.

He quoted my call sign but then my plane was standing in front of us so he may have just looked at the tail numbers.

We don't share callsigns with other AvPlan users let alone other apps.

I tell you who would be on to a winner, someone who came up with a cheap, small separate app that just broadcast position and notified by sound when another broadcaster was within XXX NM (user defined) and was able to show position on a map. Map could be simple enough, no need to be a WAC, this would solve the issue of different EFB users or, guys like myself who use an EFB for charts and plates and who don't use the flight plan options, or, to be honest only really use it when in new territory or doing an instrument approach. Also, be more likely to get everybody to use it. Could work similar to ADSB notification... Just my 2c anyways, i"mno software designer and if push came to shove, probably couldn't spell EFB...

You don't need a flight plan to have ozrunways show you up, as long as you have ozrunways running and have selected to share your traffic data it will show up.

As mentioned in another thread the altitude displayed on ozrunways traffic data is in feet compared to your altitude for example if you are at 1500 feet and have traffic showing up at +500 they are 500 feet above you NOT 500 agl or amsl and likewise if they are at -500 they are 500 below you. Quite handy once used to it.

• Like 1

I got it to work. Shows an aircraft with the numbers 9100 170 next to it.Are they altitudes and speed?

Aircraft 9100 is an A22LS Foxbat. At least it is when I plan a trip in Ozrunways. Flys out of YCAB.

The one thing that I have found with the tracker is if you have your Ipad and Iphone both with the same flight plan as I often do just to have a backup.

You can be flying along and it can show another aircraft very close to your location and height. It is actually yourself. Scared the crap out of me the other day. 046_fear.gif.84b83182244bd664b8a3a0c1e803f021.gif

I did also track another aircraft leave Archerfield and track directly towards me last week. I adjusted my height and watch him pass above and just behind me. I may not have seen him had I not been specifically looking for him at that height and in that direction.

• Winner 1

Aircraft 9100 is an A22LS Foxbat. At least it is when I plan a trip in Ozrunways. Flys out of YCAB.The one thing that I have found with the tracker is if you have your Ipad and Iphone both with the same flight plan as I often do just to have a backup.

You can be flying along and it can show another aircraft very close to your location and height. It is actually yourself. Scared the crap out of me the other day. 046_fear.gif.84b83182244bd664b8a3a0c1e803f021.gif

I did also track another aircraft leave Archerfield and track directly towards me last week. I adjusted my height and watch him pass above and just behind me. I may not have seen him had I not been specifically looking for him at that height and in that direction.

This aircraft I was following on AVPlan Live was about 100 nm north west of Cairns. In area with sparse phone coverage at low altitudes but you get cover over 4 or 5000 ft. It was also moving pretty fast. Maybe several miles every 15 seconds of update so I suspect it was not a Foxbat. That's what made me think it was altitude and speed. Bevan said earlier that AVPlan doesn't send any identifying data to other users so I don't think it would be identifying that Foxbat. .