General Hypothetical Question - CAUGHT OUT - X WIND Landing

SSCBD

What was the aircraft Blur?

Alpi Pioneer 300.

Most my training had been in a P92 Tecnam and I like to think I would have put that down on the first go... Maybe.

in the spirit of the question, i'd put myself around #2. Not to say I always get them perfect, but i haven't hurt myself or the plane yet. What I do fear is the sudden changes from headwind to tailwind at the moment of roundout... good time for a go-around, but if it catches you out it can be percussive...

Reminds me of flashes of sunlight comming out of a cloud of dust and engine revs at Temora a few years ago. When all settled down a nice wee Pazmany PL4 taxied out with no damage. Pucker factor quite positive. Chas

Given that I have a short landing need, I can mitigate the xwind to an extent by landing at an angle across the runway. Xwind landing practice should be standard, apart from emergencies, its fun...looking out the side window to get the runway picture and then straightening up and dropping the into wind wing for the landing. Dont you just love the way the aircraft weathercocks into the Xwind on take off...???

• Like 1

I think I would rate No 2.

Ive had some quiet severe xwinds and always come out of it thinking "well that wasn't so bad"

25kts x wind in a Thruster and I put it down OK but when I climbed out I nearly lost it. A friend luckily grabbed the wing tip just before she blew over. I straight way turned round and took off again and that was harder to control, especially as it was on a beach and she kept diving towards the water until I got more speed over the rudder.

I landed the Corby at Bundy in 25 kts x wind at a flyin, should have demanded the cross runway, but that had warbirds and tiger moths all over it.

Landing on grass or even a beach is much easier than bitumen. One of the things that helps me is the fact that the Corby has no flaps, so it makes me very conversant with slipping.

if your having trouble getting down in a crosswind, rather than try a 4th and 5th time straight away, go and do some circuits at traffic height, stay at circuit height even through base, final and upwind, do enough to help you calm down and relax a bit. then try again...

• Agree 1