Private Airstrips near Nelson Bay question?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do have a look at the size of the airspace for Richmond and Oakley in particular and tell me it's not just historic.

Williamtown airport doesn't cause me any problems because they are not allowed to fly over the built up areas of Newcastle City. Reason for that is that they dropped a Vampire onto a house in an inner suburb around 1960 and then a few years later dropped a Mirage onto a block of flats in an expensive and densely settled inner beach suburb. The latter accident could have resulted in a substantial fatality list but as it was only the unfortunate pilot died.

My argument for the Military operating in areas away from the coast is for their benefit to be able to fly in better weather and with greater freedom from local traffic . . . . the benefit of flying over fewer densely settled areas is a bonus. Flying over cities means the RAAF spends half their day placating the locals who moved in "yesterday" and paying big chunks of public money to install soundproofing.

Do have a look at the size of the airspace for Richmond and Oakley in particular and tell me it's not just historic.

Williamtown airport doesn't cause me any problems because they are not allowed to fly over the built up areas of Newcastle City. Reason for that is that they dropped a Vampire onto a house in an inner suburb around 1960 and then a few years later dropped a Mirage onto a block of flats in an expensive and densely settled inner beach suburb. The latter accident could have resulted in a substantial fatality list but as it was only the unfortunate pilot died.

My argument for the Military operating in areas away from the coast is for their benefit to be able to fly in better weather and with greater freedom from local traffic . . . . the benefit of flying over fewer densely settled areas is a bonus. Flying over cities means the RAAF spends half their day placating the locals who moved in "yesterday" and paying big chunks of public money to install soundproofing.

Imagine if they drop one of these new F35's into the newer residential areas that have sprung up around Williy and the Lower Hunter areas.

Imagine if they drop one of these new F35's into the newer residential areas that have sprung up around Williy and the Lower Hunter areas.

Not much help now but some of the old early days flyers from around Newcastle may remember the Salt Ash Military Drop Zone? It was a square mile of mowed grass area with a marked runway in the middle. All over grown now but it would be a benefit to private pilots today if it still existed.

Not much help now but some of the old early days flyers from around Newcastle may remember the Salt Ash Military Drop Zone? It was a square mile of mowed grass area with a marked runway in the middle. All over grown now but it would be a benefit to private pilots today if it still existed.

They could get rid of the bloody football stadium and reinstate Broadmeadow.

• Haha 1

They could get rid of the bloody football stadium and reinstate Broadmeadow.

Its ridiculous we don't have an east coast laneway direct up the coast with easy navigation for all small aircraft... How hard would it bee for them to avoid one patch of airspace the whole way up the eastern seaboard

• Agree 1

Its ridiculous we don't have an east coast laneway direct up the coast with easy navigation for all small aircraft... How hard would it bee for them to avoid one patch of airspace the whole way up the eastern seaboard

I agree, make it like the Gold Coast, head sth at 1000 and nth at 500 over the coastal beach and around the head lands. It would make a great flight.

• Agree 2

I agree, make it like the Gold Coast, head sth at 1000 and nth at 500 over the coastal beach and around the head lands. It would make a great flight.

Dealing with your old mates Dazza is the problem becoming a bit of a rash around the place.

Used to be fun whizzing down Stockton beach in the Cheyenne at full belt. What do they do now to get around Willy beside the bumpy inland run behind Maitland?

Speaking of annoying the new neighbours, there was a report in the last few days that curfews would have to be put on Tullamarine because of the housing estates. That was the reason it was put out there, away from development. Oh, that was the 60's.

• Agree 1

Dealing with your old mates Dazza is the problem becoming a bit of a rash around the place.Used to be fun whizzing down Stockton beach in the Cheyenne at full belt. What do they do now to get around Willy beside the bumpy inland run behind Maitland?

If their was a VFR route similar to victor one passing places like Willy town and Coffs Harbour, surely it wouldnt effect them much. There would have to be a workable solution I reckon.

If their was a VFR route similar to victor one passing places like Willy town and Coffs Harbour, surely it wouldnt effect them much. There would have to be a workable solution I reckon.

Coff's is right on the coast, and Williamtown is military.

Coff's is right on the coast, and Williamtown is military.

And I flew in and out of Coffs for years. When the air traffic controller goes to lunch it's a CTAF !

There is no reason to limit transit traffic.

The only thing for certain is Airservices and CASA are completely out of touch with anything and are literally STUPID !

• Agree 1

And I flew in and out of Coffs for years. When the air traffic controller goes to lunch it's a CTAF ! There is no reason to limit transit traffic.

The reason to limit transit traffic is to provide adequate traffic separation, no? If it's a CTAF, it's a CTAF and RPT knows it. If it's towered, then the tower needs to know about flights in the VFR corridor to provide separation. Victor 1 is a few miles away from Sydney airport. To do that at Coffs would require you to go a long way offshore.

The reason to limit transit traffic is to provide adequate traffic separation, no? If it's a CTAF, it's a CTAF and RPT knows it. If it's towered, then the tower needs to know about flights in the VFR corridor to provide separation. Victor 1 is a few miles away from Sydney airport. To do that at Coffs would require you to go a long way offshore.

No make a VFR lane smack bang over the centre of the airport with a block altitude. In America their is a lot of class G zones around huge airports. Surely some sort of procedure could be implemented,

• Agree 1

FACTS you need to know.

Coffs does not have radar ! I believe it has weather radar only.

Coffs has high ground to the west and is typically cloud covered which is where aircraft have to go that are not permitted in control.

Coffs is not as busy as Port Macquarie which is not control !

Coffs RPT traffic is mostly brought in over land and transit traffic is kept coastal, over water and usually not above 1000 feet.

The harbour at Coffs is the problem area as there is high ground to the north of runway centreline and the Harbour

When there is traffic around the harbour when I have been transiting they require aircraft stay outside the harbour where on most days people cut across.

The other problem is most light aircraft are put on runway 10 and that goes straight over the beach, so transit aircraft would be better up high.

Instead of going further out you could go up or down, at 500 feet or 2000 feet outside the harbour you would be clear of traffic. When you see traffic at Bankstown close up especially on parallel runway you will understand there is no problem with Coffs, the other way is take transit traffic straight over the top of the airport at a safe height. Which I believe would be the safest option.

The biggest problem is Coffs has no radar and the controller relies on you to give an exact position which I have seen to be a problem as an aircraft filled my windscreen which was not suppose to be there.

The other plane had a whinge and tried to blame me but when I was told I marched up the tower and ripped in to the negligence of the other aircraft not reporting correctly, I never heard another word about it.

Coffs is dangerous with a Control tower and would be safer without it or if they had radar then they could operate safely without any reason to stop transit aircraft in a lane or above.

One day I took off and control was at lunch so we flew all around the hills around Coffs and taken photos of friends places, was doing all the right things with other aircraft giving position etc and when the controller came back the fun was over, the controller asked what my intensions were ? Was I going to say having fun, I said I was to the northwest and inbound shortly, what can the controller do he is scared there is someone flying around those hills !

• Informative 1

Airservices, CASA and the Military, at the meeting about the "temporary" extension of Willy restricted airspace, said that they could not allow uncontrolled traffic up Nobby's Beach - ever - because it was too close to the runway. They hinted that when the current airspace review is finished (2017?) it is likely to include a much more liberal zone (width and altitude) in the old ultralight lane.

Having just had my first experience of flying into a Towered aerodrome (YSTW) I'm thinking we'd be much better off with an endorsement for controlled airspace transit or even plain old access than hunting around busy airports in dodgy ultralight lanes. If it were just transit then the training could be done and tested in one day. It is not difficult and it adds an immensely better level of safety.

• Agree 2