Hire out my lsa 55

Nathan161

Hi there ,

Im thinking about hiring out my jab lsa 55 which is a lovely little plane in and out with dynon avionics fc & garmin aera 500 gps, also has an ipad or other tablet holder to use ozrunways or avplan.

The engine has low hrs and overall shes a beautiful little plane.

Im unsure at this point the legal side of hiring out to other pilots as im not leasing it to a flying school so can anyone guide me in legal procedures to hire my plane out .

Obviously insurance is essential but what other requirements are there to do this legally.

The plan was to make it available to fully licensed pilots not students.

Appreciate some guidance here.

Cheers

• Like 1

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No problem hiring it out to anyone with a pilot certificate but if it were me I'd want the proposed hiree to do a check ride & make sure that they have the appropriate endorsements. You'd need to make sure your insurance company knows what you are doing as well. If they don't & there was any problem it is almost certain they would not pay out (non disclosure).

You have to get some info from your insurer regarding what level of oversight they want you to have on the pilot.

They might want an instructor to do a checkride with the pilot first. Then there's issues with who pays that cost.

They will almost certainly want you to keep records of the pilots licence, medical status, hours, currency etc.

They may have limits in how many hours on type, total hours etc the hiree must have.

Then for your own protection you need to check out what level of cover the insurer will do to cover you against claims of negligence or similar if the pilot has a prang and tries to claim there was negligence on your part for a plane that was not maintained properly or had a defect. But just be sure it also covers claims of negligence from the pilot or his estate against you .

Do your maths first.

I thought about renting out an aircraft once but in the end there was complete uncertainty in how much use it would guess and the extra cost of extra insurance was more than the likely return from people hiring it. SO it turned out to be not worth the cost.

• Informative 1

You have to get some info from your insurer regarding what level of oversight they want you to have on the pilot.They might want an instructor to do a checkride with the pilot first. Then there's issues with who pays that cost.

They will almost certainly want you to keep records of the pilots licence, medical status, hours, currency etc.

They may have limits in how many hours on type, total hours etc the hiree must have.

Then for your own protection you need to check out what level of cover the insurer will do to cover you against claims of negligence or similar if the pilot has a prang and tries to claim there was negligence on your part for a plane that was not maintained properly or had a defect. But just be sure it also covers claims of negligence from the pilot or his estate against you .

Do your maths first.

I thought about renting out an aircraft once but in the end there was complete uncertainty in how much use it would guess and the extra cost of extra insurance was more than the likely return from people hiring it. SO it turned out to be not worth the cost.

Thankyou for your detailed message, i will definitely look into all of that.

Cheers

• Haha 1

Which LSA55 is it at The Oaks? I've been in all the ones crosshired..Barramundi, is that VH-MWY in your profile pic?

Its never been hired out so you wont be familiar with it for record its 3014

Would that be the case for block-hours hiring as well? I'd really like to be able to almost hire as a mini-syndicate: "I will pay you $6000/yr for 50 hours wet" or something like that.

Would that be the case for block-hours hiring as well? I'd really like to be able to almost hire as a mini-syndicate: "I will pay you $6000/yr for 50 hours wet" or something like that.

Look thats a possibility my first port of call is the insurance which ive sent off for a quote but may need to be more specific with them for final insurance setup, then we can talk about that.

If you want to discuss further my email

[email protected]

There i can attach vids pics etc i cant seem to upload here

I think John is great, and I think he taught me well, but having flown a variety of other aircraft since then, an LSA55 would have to be _very_ cheap to want to fly that over something a little.... more forgiving.

Once you get up to scratch again theyre an awesome machine easily pull couple g,s in 60 deg bank at full power, easy to side slip takes a heck of alot of effort to stall them.

And cruising comfortably at 90-100 kts i prefer it to flying a gazelle which i started off in plus had some time in basic cessna 152 years ago.

Im in love with flying them but each to his own.

This one is neat looking too in & out , with some mod trimmings flight comp gps etc

Mount for ipad , good senheiser head sets, transponder strobe etc

Enough to go happily off on some navs.

Definitely nicer than a gazelle, which is what I flew next after the LSA55.

But after flying modern European composite aircraft... Jabirus are feeling just a little bit agricultural. Going from the Pipipstrel to a Jab is like going from the Jab to a Gazelle.