CASA set to increase Recreational Oversight

scre80

Hi All,

I came across this article from the 2nd Sept.

CASA will introduce new oversight measures to cope with the challenge of increased activity in recreational aviation

Specifically, CASA intends to:

• introduce an Approved Organisations Model under Part 149

• increase presence at events

• conduct surveillance of RAAOs based on risk

• conduct both scheduled and unscheduled surveillance on RAAOs

• increased audits of LSA manufacturers and importers

• centralise model aircraft display and approvals to standardise

• conduct assessment and oversight of sport aviation delegates

• implement safety campaigns

Read it here:

http://www.australianflying.com.au/news/casa-set-to-increase-recreational-oversight

Does anyone know more about this? I could not find anything.

Cheers

So if you are doing everything the way it is supposed to be done what is written in that article will have no impact, if you are not doing things as they are supposed to be done no doubt you will be a little concerned.

Aldo

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

The ten basic principles are:

1. CASA is committed to maintaining the trust and respect of the aviation community

2. Mindful of the primacy of air safety, CASA takes account of all relevant considerations, including cost

3. CASA takes risk-based approaches to regulatory action and decision-making

4. CASA performs its functions consistently with Australia's international obligations

5. CASA approaches its regulatory functions consultatively and collaboratively

6. CASA communicates fully and meaningfully with all relevant stakeholders

7. CASA fairly balances the need for consistency with the need for flexibility

8. CASA embraces and employs rational 'just culture' principles in its regulatory and related actions

9. CASA demonstrates proportionality and discretion in regulatory decision-making and exercises its powers in accordance with the principles of procedural fairness and natural justice

10. CASA has a legitimate, but limited, role in pursuing punitive action for breaches of the civil aviation legislation

• Haha 1

With the exception of Principle 4, every single one of the rest were breached in the CASA action against Jabiru.

As for the first principle, there is a basic assumption that would only be expressed correctly by the addition of the words: 'lack of' after ''maintaining the' in the statement. Such was a major finding of the Forsyth Review report.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Maybe casa could try organise chook raffles at fly-in ! Nah they would over complicated it as chooks can fly and would need some serious paperwork.

I think they would sign off the paperwork, but it must at all times be a frozen chicken

Dr Z - quite a few people have put many, many hours and in some cases, some money, into getting hold of the information from CASA and assembling a cogent story about what happened.

The effort that has so far been undertaken will only have benefit if it is applied wisely - and that means careful consideration about how to use 'the story'. Frankly, prima facie, it stinks. CASAs '40' incidents, when examined, are reduced to about 17 that anybody with decent aviation knowledge would accept are accurate.

However, I think it is the sensible thing to do, to provide the new DAS with ways to use the action to kick the CASA entrenched culture into a new mode. The Forsyth Report provides the framework and the Jabiru action provides the evidence that major cultural change is required. RAA will be a beneficiary of a change in CASA culture if it can be achieved.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

OK so we have the evidence and the framework. What next? It appears pointless pursuing CASA for any change. They ignore you and they also ignore the minister. I really would like to get the politicians involved but there are too few votes to be had from us.

• Agree 1

OK so we have the evidence and the framework. What next? It appears pointless pursuing CASA for any change. They ignore you and they also ignore the minister. I really would like to get the politicians involved but there are too few votes to be had from us.

Yes, that is the problem in a nutshell. Truss doesn't have the intelligence to recognise powered flight, nobody in Labor has the interest to help. We need to improve our profile as being of social value - especially for regional areas.

• Agree 1

When i was president of a soccer club, i got 200 familes involves in an incident in one seat and by god they listened..it only took about four people and letters. It was a safe Nat seat... My response would be for individuals to approach local members, they are more vocal, more powerful and more receptive than you could ever imagine...

Seriously when you write to an MP you get a standard response from thier

PR assistant... But when you write and call, or better still book an appointment and have a few othrs do the same, they listen and act.

They generally hate squaeeky wheels and in this day and age of social media they try to oil every squueky wheel as quick as they can...good spelling there ....

Freedom of information, is there such a thing? LOL. Oscar, What do you mean by "you might not want to go there"? Cost prohibitive? Or a long process to get the information? Still don't understand why it's not released.

They generally hate squaeeky wheels and in this day and age of social media they try to oil every squueky wheel as quick as they can...good spelling there ....

Yes its essential to be a total pain and they might do something just to get rid of you. The silent majority will always be ignored in favour of the argumentative minority. Write lots of letters and follow up with phone calls.

After all look at the attention a self-publicist like D'head Smith gets - they even put him in charge for a short time.

Freedom of information, is there such a thing? LOL. Oscar, What do you mean by "you might not want to go there"? Cost prohibitive? Or a long process to get the information? Still don't understand why it's not released.

Extremely long and somewhat combative process, and not free in $$ terms. The fact that CASA has not released the data, is, I believe, its own comment; as the old saying goes: 'if you've nothing to hide, you've nothing to fear'.

• Agree 2