Cabin Heater

Ron Hoey

Its the std stuff we use to put under transistors for electronics...it takes the heat away very efficiently. Jaycar and WES components sell it. If you need any I can get it for you. from WES you can get bigger tubes at less money

http://www.jaycar.com.au/Electromechanical-Components/Heatsinks-%26-Accessories/Thermal-Compounds-%26-Adhesives/Heatsink-Compound---Syringe---50gm/p/NM2011

https://www.wes.com.au/mediapub/ebook/wescat2014np/#846

• 3 months later...

Hi all. I'm looking at this thread as I will have to fly (ferry) a Savannah VG across Canada this spring and I,m a bit concerned about the cabin heat. I was told that the heat outlet is on the passenger side...is that right ? the plane had no insulation at all and flying the Rockies at 10,000' could be cold .. thanks for the info

Already have a heated vest for my motorcycle. But that's the feet that need the heat. Looks like you own a VG yourself,,so...is there a cabin heat oulet in yours..Thanks

the plane.. Rotax ULS ..72 hrs

821489433_SavannahVGenvol..jpg.82aac33b4c7bc985f3847b20c2d8251d.jpg

I have XL yes it has a heater but its as useless at tits on a bull. The whole system needs to be re thought out. Similar like I think I have posted in this there where a chamber is put around the exhaust pipe. We dont get that cold here like in Canada. I have worked in Thunder bay and Medicine Hat for periods in winter.....nah I like it here way to frigid for me

Thanks all, there were some good ideas for me to follow up.

The problem is, I am one of the few pilots whose wife loves to fly. As we approach our 70th birthdays, my dear First Officer is subject to the heat/cool problems associated women of that vintage. So the clothing ideas and moving to Queensland won't necessarily work. The rest I will give a try and post back my results.

Thanks again and Blue Skies to you all.

Ron.

moving to Queensland won't necessarily work.

But Queensland is nice this time of year, any time of year actually. Think I might move over the river myself.

What about poking the scat tube up your trouser leg, did you like that one Ron?

Nice to hear from you again, Cheers Steve.

• 3 months later...

Cross country flight done...from Calgary,Alberta to Québec City.....~ 2300 milles in 29 hours.....Strong headwinds and freezing rain in the first part...a bit of tail wind and sunny skies in the last part....but COOOOOOLLLDDDD ( all the trip) and the heater.....well it is in the POH only.........as Kyle wrote...useless as...... we were two on board..had a SCAT down to the middle...but ....last time I was so cold in a plane was on open cockpit UL..... but we had a lot of fun and it will be a good trip to remember

but please ICP......correct these few design flaws.....( heater, fuel gauge, throttle cables,,,)

few pictures....before leaving.... /// at a truck stop for lunch...//// and the ''road'' down to my co-pilot's place

2100936718_Albertatrip_13.JPG.d13cbcaade93608d233a16dcc40ff134.JPG

249039351_SavannahGraham.JPG.1c9d11bdde1a8a4322b7b3bb17ddabd8.JPG

760355750_Savannahtrip-tik.jpg.c02312370e5963bfbef7478e2ea45a23.jpg

• Like 4

I see you went to Thunder Bay. I have been there quite a few times working, nice place except everything closes at 1 am in the morning. Bloody cold hole too....I couldnt imagine what it was like flying in the Savannah in those temps with the way the cabin heater is

Hi

Didn't really go to Thunder Bay..Just refuelled at the airport and then around Lake Superior (picture)for next stop ...in Marathon where we stopped for the night because we were frozen.. A heating system using the coolant would be much better on this plane.

1295004850_ThunderBAY.jpg.72d64286305a0d5c74987d50e2368fca.jpg

• 8 months later...

Hi All,

My LAME suggested the best place to pick up warm air is behind the Oil Cooler.

The air is fresh, as it comes straight through the radiator, and there is no need to cut into the cowling (and re-join it when replacing the cowling).

I got lucky when I found a discarded vacuum cleaner hose with a curved aluminium fitting on the suction hose. Just the right diameter and with the perfect bend. (See Photos).

I cut the end to sit behind the Oil Cooler, but far enough away from it to prevent vibration rubbing it against the radiator and damaging it. A bit of Scat hose on the other end allowed for a bend to the installed tube under the muffler.

To top it off I put a 12 volt computer fan on the footwell outlet to assist the airflow.

My kit didn't include a de-mister.

Hoping this is of assistance.

Blue Skies,

Ron.

2063268432_Heater1.jpg.71d74c742e4068efaa53fdb194d542a8.jpg

538614320_Heater3.jpg.232c5a67e544e9a71f69c39f1e54d9f6.jpg

Sorry about the photos being upside down. How do you prevent/fix this?

1778854347_Heater2.jpg.3778532a4bab7d8b21d82aa246b22395.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...