Cabin Heater

Ron Hoey

Hi Ron,

The only complaint I have about my Sav is the ineffective heater. I too am interested in any improvements that have been made.

I suppose we can't expect the Queenslanders to understand our gripe though can we?

Regards,

Bob

• Like 1

Hi Ron,The only complaint I have about my Sav is the ineffective heater. I too am interested in any improvements that have been made.

I suppose we can't expect the Queenslanders to understand our gripe though can we?

Regards,

Bob

How's your Sav going down there bob? Been a while since we have heard from you so you must be putting a few hours on it now.

My inlaws live near Grong Grong but I'm not sure when ill next get to fly down there but would love to catch up for a squiz:thumb up:

Wear another coat?

My hornet doesn't have a heater (I couldn't justify the extra weight) and in the winter time it is certainly noticeable. I wear tracky pants under jeans and then a singlet, thermal tshirt, normal long sleeve shirt, padded vest, and a jumper or jacket with snow gloves:cold: And sometimes that isn't enough:no:. But a few months ago I got given a Milwaukee heated jacket, and it is awesome. It is just like wearing an electric blanket and cuts down a few layers (as long as the battery is charged!)

Anyway in the winter time I reckon the weight of extra clothes would be greater than the weight of the heater but in summer (which is when the weight really matters! Ok weight matters all the time but even more when it is hot!!) I am still a little lighter.

Hi SDQDI,

Interesting concept that heated jacket. Might have to investigate before next winter if I can't install a heater that works.

I now have 70 hrs on my Sav and am enjoying it immensely.

Where I live is only about 28 nm from Grong Grong so would love to have you call in if you are down this way.

I only have 400m of landing strip and am not familiar with the performance of a Hornet so you would have to be the judge of its suitability.

Regards,

Bob

• Like 1

Thermals or aldi snow gear are the ducks gutz..we ski extensively and never get cold in climates far cooler than you could possibly fly in...however....they do weigh a bit...

Thermals are the best warmth to weight ratio..and fleece...two sets of thermals and one fleece should be adequate for almost any flight... You could imagine... Jeans with two thermals is ok, but jeans are not particularly effective...cheap ski pants will be far far betterat the same weight as jeans.

Thermals or aldi snow gear are the ducks gutz..we ski extensively and never get cold in climates far cooler than you could possibly fly in...however....they do weigh a bit...Thermals are the best warmth to weight ratio..and fleece...two sets of thermals and one fleece should be adequate for almost any flight... You could imagine... Jeans with two thermals is ok, but jeans are not particularly effective...cheap ski pants will be far far betterat the same weight as jeans.

I bought a full leather motorcycle jacket with body armour from Aldi a few years ago for a massive $99 , it is made it Pakistan , it has been brilliant. Nothing what so ever has gone wrong at all with it. Thumb up for cheap Aldi stuff.

I have water system like this that I have not installed yet, got this foto from a Norwegian Savannah.T7design.co.uk

[ATTACH=full]38224[/ATTACH]

That is more like a car heater and is sure to be effective if you can get a good airflow through that little heat exchanger. A fan will be needed. the only negatives is that you are introducing hot water on your side of the firewall. You may want to check hose clamps every 50 or 100 hours of flight.

When I make my Savannah 912 (2003 - 2006) I install a selfmade funnel (15 cm x 15 cm) after water cooler and dia. 45 mm scat tube to muffler, stainless steel tube trough the muffler (it was ready installed by ICP) and 45 mm scat tube to cabin. After 15 min flight outside -15 C, inside +10C.

IMG_1555-1.jpg.a3cdb202cf21e716ed7ee3109f5d0718.jpg

IMG_0719.jpg.71b7c7cfb20033ee19b3fa00e3ab67a7.jpg

• Like 2

A mate of mine showed me a sleeve made that will wrap around the exhaust pipe it has a open end at the front and this heats the air going into the cabin. I think he said it came off a Jabiru. He was going to fit it to his Savannah but I dont think he has yet. Then again up here in Gods own country we are tough we dont need heaters we just throw on our Aldi thermals and leather jackets 075_amazon.gif.0882093f126abdba732f442cccc04585.gif

Mark

Yeah, yeah Mark, knew there wouldn't be much sympathy from Qld.

Seriously though, I like the idea of a sleeve on an engine pipe: I think that the exhaust gasses have lost much of their heat before reaching the muffler.

Hi Osteri,

I like the look of your system too. Do you remove the "funnel" for summer flying to keep sufficient airflow through the radiator (water cooler)?

Regards,

Bob

Hi Bob

I will see if I can get some pictures of the device. I dont think Roger has fitted it yet to his Spirit but it is Steve Donald who has the other one he was going to fit it to his Sav.

I dont think it gets that warm in Finland Bob. Mine always runs probably too cool most of the time both for the oil temp and water temp. I have never bothered to block off the radiator opening as other have.

Mark

Chase exhaust temps...the only prob is leaking gases or overheating of plastic ducting...

My exhaust has a second layer leading into a ducting tube..its incredibly effective down to about 4 C

Its built for Italy meaning either its lazy or works in cold temps....

Hi Bob

Not necesar remove, in winter must cover 1/4 - 1/2 part of cooler (not over the funnel).

Cooler preheat the air and funnel add pressure and air folw through the mufflertube. What in important, in cabin close air folw straight out for example with yoke cover. http://www.aerokits.net.au/Savannah%20Tip%20No%2024.pdf

Hi Dr Zoos

Not plastic ducting, SCAT ducting temperature ranga to 550 °F ~ 288 °C, not problem connecting to muffler.

Osteri

This is the one Roger has made. It just uses hose clamps to hold it against the exhaust pipe and there is silicone heat transfer compound in the semicircular section. then its just some scat tube to the front of the cowl and then into the standard Savannah input on the firewall. It is just welded up out of aluminium tube its very light

IMG_2567.JPG.47084b5615d91f8c4e454d4671a9243d.JPG

IMG_2570.JPG.1abad0968f8d429ac5581f85ee2db830.JPG

IMG_2568.JPG.85d33b7c4db8186e61b9e6666edbe6b4.JPG

• Like 1

This is the one Roger has made. It just uses hose clamps to hold it against the exhaust pipe and there is silicone heat transfer compound in the semicircular section. then its just some scat tube to the front of the cowl and then into the standard Savannah input on the firewall. It is just welded up out of aluminium tube its very light

[ATTACH=full]38284[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]38285[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]38286[/ATTACH]

I like this in principle because carbon monoxide poisoning is almost non-existent due to the two layers between exhaust gasses and cabin gasses. But, I am still left wondering if there is enough heat transfer in 300-400 mm of pipe which only overlaps by half the circumference?

I like this in principle because carbon monoxide poisoning is almost non-existent due to the two layers between exhaust gasses and cabin gasses. But, I am still left wondering if there is enough heat transfer in 300-400 mm of pipe which only overlaps by half the circumference?

So my water system can transfer carbon monoxide 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

Aluminium transfers heat very well and with the heat transfer compound in there it essentially makes the heater tube almost the same temp as the exhaust pipe so there would be a fair amount of heat coming in that pipe. Remember on the Sav there is no air duct to the front of the cowl either so not much airflow there. This one needs a airduct from the front getting some clear air then I think it would work really well

So my water system can transfer carbon monoxide 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

Your system, transfers dihydrogen monoxide*! Many people have died from this substance in the past.

* dihydrogen monoxide is actually water 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif. People have died from avalanches (water) and drowning (water) but I am sure your system won't do any of that 014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif.