confidence issues

Its great news that you are getting close to your PPL. and it good to fly as a passenger some times. I went for a ride in a 182 on a CPL nav it was great to sit there and take in the view. And 30c in a 172 is HOT.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's wrong with 18 degrees? Better than 31 on the deck. (Plus Tarmac temp). Taxi drivers in Brissy used to put the heat on when it was 24 degrees outside.. Nev

Well the air is more like 8500, and a wee little 172 with 2 solid blokes and full tanks does not like climbing at that altitude!

But it goes to show that the science and math works, was 30 degrees on the ground (@400ft), 18 degrees at 6500. Using the standard lapse rates it should be 12 degrees cooler at 6500, which is 18 degrees!! Not bad eh?

Well, I legally took a doctor and patient to 14,500 to aid in whooping cough or something in one, in the 60's . The lapse rate can vary but usually it's pretty close . The SL temp ISA standard atmosphere is 15 degrees, so you are 16 degrees above that to start with raising your Density Altitude significantly, and that controls your climb performance, which you noticed. Nev

Regarding confidence, one thing that puts me off the turbulence is when it gets rough I can get airsick, especially if I haven't flown alot lately to build resistance/get used to it. :( Once nausea kicks in it's just not fun anymore. I'm sure it can get dangerous if the motion sickness get the better of you, it's a concern if Solo or passenger isn't a pilot. I guess gradually exposing yourself to it and flying often is the key.

I can never really guarantee, as a passenger , I won't get pretty green. Same with a boat. IF I'm doing the flying actively I don't get nauseous. Time won't necessarily change it unless you do actually remove some of the causes. Being over aware of the aircraft's motion and anxiety and where you look can affect it. Nev

You let the plane move around a bit in turbulence. Don't expect it to be steady. Don't apply large control inputs in cruise. Another height might help and learn to read the conditions. If you have strong winds and mountain ridges you may get a few good thumps, down wind of. Lines of trees and sheds near the ground also. Convection, High ground temps, and high lapse rates are usually not present early in the day. Cumulus clouds of significant vertical development indicate instability, more likely in Spring etc. Nev

• Informative 1

Hi sparkdusty thank you for sharing its a hard subject to share and deal with. for my part I went up today and waited for it to get a bit warmer and lumpy and stayed in the circuit on purpose for an hour and played pucker factor. we are planning more of the same for next time and some other thing too. will update soon.

I feel that's what I need to do. Just get used to it. I love flying so much just get horrible thoughts when i feel like I've lost control.

Nev, the dry adiabatic lapse rate is 3 degrees C per 1000 feet.Bruce

Except we don't use the dry adiabatic rate, we use the ICAO defined standard atmosphere, which equated to about 2 degrees C per 1000ft.

15degC at MSL, -56.5degC at 36000ft. Temp difference is 71.5 from MSL to 36000ft, so that equates to about 0.00199 degrees/ft or 1.99degrees/1000ft.

If you look at the ICAO docs, you will probably find a published environmental lapse rate, but I think you have to pay for those docs.

• Agree 1

I feel that's what I need to do. Just get used to it. I love flying so much just get horrible thoughts when i feel like I've lost control.

Hi Spark dusty. I really feel you pain. for what its worth it gets better. and its hard to face sometime. you just want to runaway but that doesn't work for me. I think there is a school with a fox bat that has a BRS chute that might help your confidence

I think you focus too much on the fear. I went out in a Foxbat as a passenger on Sunday. Seemed quite rough to me. I asked the pilot what rating on a scale 1 to 10 was the turbulence and he said 4. I would have said 7. Just shows that it's very subjective and once you get used to it it becomes a non-issue.

• Agree 1

As far as losing control of a 3 axis plane in turbulence.. It's a problem at high cruising levels ( Coffin Corner for jets) or if you are near the ground (mini cyclone or dust devil), other wise the stability of most aircraft would have them fly along without crashing if you did nothing. What you try to do is keep an approximate desired attitude, that keeps the airspeed in the desired range, where it won't stall at one end and won't impose high airframe loads at the other.. and a heading within a range that keeps you pointing where you want to go. Your corrective inputs should be the smallest that will achieve the desired result and applied at the precise time to have the most effect, and released as the wing is moving in the required direction, so you don't over correct. Nev