NO CHANGE

As if anyone is going to own up haha.

I am not laughing cause people are dying

Me! and it came out of the factory that way and I am not changing it 'coz it WORKS

so did I own factory built power plant not to installation manual

if your aircraft meaning all aircraft is fitted with rotax 912 power plant it will have return line from carby to main fuel tank with a non return valve neil

As if anyone is going to own up haha.

I am not laughing cause people are dying

Me! and it came out of the factory that way and I am not changing it 'coz it WORKS

so did I own factory built power plant not to rotax installation manual

if your aircraft meaning all aircraft is fitted with rotax 912 power plant it will have return line from carby to main fuel tank with a non return valve

so all aircraft that are flying comply with rotax installation manual it will get you your little porkies

I am 90% sure that several accidents that involved rotax motors did not comply with casa own rules or rotax installation manual are you willing to take the chance ?neil

So are aircraft still being flown that DO not comply with the engine installation manual NOT being followed ?Are you the owner off said aircraft ? neil

I don't know what you are talking about. Please elaborate.

OME

I don't know what you are talking about. Please elaborate.OME

Examples:

1. Fuel system - return line to tanks - often without non-return valve eg fuel tank 1m below carbs - return line had no one-way valve

2. oil system - external oil tank not set on the midline of the engine but above/below to fit within cowls/airframes

3. induction systems - no use of the Rotax induction manifold and in place use of single/separate K&N filters

4. induction system - use of separate K&N filters usually involves removal of the drip trays below each carb as well

5. induction system - use of electric/coolant carb heaters rather than alternate air through Rotax induction manifold

Heaps of other non-standard non-compliant with Rotax installation manual even for factory built ... and once they are factory built you actually can't 'modify' them back to Rotax manual standard without going through factory or MARAP ...

• Informative 1

I agree.

My aircraft came from the factory (24) with no carb return. Runs fine, as do many others.

It would be ILLEGAL for me to fit one without the aircraft mfg permission.

This was clearly explained to me during a rotax maintenance course.

The aircraft mfg rules/regs/procedures take precedent over the engine mfg.

No doubt other acft mfg's do things differently as is their prerogative.

• Informative 1

Examples:1. Fuel system - return line to tanks - often without non-return valve eg fuel tank 1m below carbs - return line had no one-way valve

2. oil system - external oil tank not set on the midline of the engine but above/below to fit within cowls/airframes

3. induction systems - no use of the Rotax induction manifold and in place use of single/separate K&N filters

4. induction system - use of separate K&N filters usually involves removal of the drip trays below each carb as well

5. induction system - use of electric/coolant carb heaters rather than alternate air through Rotax induction manifold

Heaps of other non-standard non-compliant with Rotax installation manual even for factory built ... and once they are factory built you actually can't 'modify' them back to Rotax manual standard without going through factory or MARAP ...

Interesting - I have to plead guilty to every matter noted above - perhaps because I did the installation myself of the Rotax 912S in my Alpi. Are any of them critical do you think?

thank you kasper thank you I love you shows just how well some don't read rotax manuals

or the great protector off our industry regulator mad casa who cant read their own regulations

so the aircraft that do not follow rotax installation will be grounded

This was clearly explained to me during a rotax maintenance course.so you don't have to take notice casa regs

casa regulations clearly state that the manufactures instalation manual will be followed

My aircraft came from the factory (24) with no carb return. Runs fine, as do many others

xxx first replace off new carby kit 50 hrs second carby kit 80 hrs no return line yet manual shows return line

who did the rotax maintenance cannot read his or her manual witch has clearly stated since 1997 that all rotax 912 power plants will have return line to tank

No doubt other acft mfg's do things differently as is their prerogative

no way can you change a installation manual written by a mfg show this paper work that gives you the aurthoirty and print on here even mad casa cannot do it

microman one word yes as I said I am 90 % sure that some did not follow the rules and died we all paid for it neil

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

This was clearly explained to me during a rotax maintenance course.

downunder would you care to explain who told you or gave that advice ?

As partly explained by kasper rotax do a lot of work to give you a fairly reliable power plant so some xxxxxxxx can tell you that you don't have to abide by the manual

would save rotax heaps if they did not have to write manuals

carby's are meant to inject a certain amount off fuel at specific ratio to air should the pressure off fuel be to great this has a dentramental effect on the motor in effect you will lose power

example pull out the choke what happens

fuel pumps are set to around 3.5 to 4.00 bars at 4000 to 4200 rpm buy increasing the rpm you will increase the flow from a manual pump to carby bowl

Increased preasure will have to go some where so with out return line to tank it flows out the overflow tubes on to a hot exhaust to evaporate

the explosive nature off evaporated fuel ( leave that for a latter lesson ) static elec is part of oh leave it

Now not only does it flow out overflow tubes on to hot exhaust the fuel is forced into the engine there for making 90% off pilots assume the motor has a malfunction

Now don't try to say that the needle and seat should stop the flow from the pump as at 7 bars now way in hell

how do I know that is what the pressure reached in my plane new carby kit

now both off our powers off safety have

Do not put the return line just before the gasculator as one person was told to do by a so called expert as hot fuel does not work to well when it vaporisers that is also the reason that the return line will go to tank

got the message yet

neil

Hi Neil,

thanks for the informative post.

It might just be me, but the lack of punctuation in your post makes it a bit difficult to follow. A few commas and full stops might help my comprehension.

Cheers,

Tony

• Informative 1

and just how many accidents, and lives lost are a direct result of not complying with the items you mentioned above (and FYI, my savannah complies)

then again, factual data means nothing to CASA and its decision making process.

• Helpful 1

who would want factual data

fact 1 people are getting killed

fact 2 the rouge element off our industry is killing people

fact 3 I am bloody well concerned and doing something about it

fact 4 sit on your arse and do nothing will cost

fact 5 prove that that my statement is wrong when it has been demonstrated that aircraft do not comply

fact 6 I personally know off air craft used that did not comply and used in flying school

cover ups have to stop end it now

oh there is a mistake in post 11 neil

stating something is a fact must be able to be backed up with references.

are there any TSB reports concluding the cause of the accident, (or coroners reports in the case of a death) stating those things listed were the direct cause? i dont remember seeing a check valve in the cherokee

Interesting - I have to plead guilty to every matter noted above - perhaps because I did the installation myself of the Rotax 912S in my Alpi. Are any of them critical do you think?

Critical?

Hmmmm. The one that I am usually more concerned with is the lack of a return line from carb to tank - I'm not so fussed with the non-return valve just the lack of the return line itself. Why? The bing carbs on the 912 cannot deal with the amount of fuel and pressure that can build up in them with the later model 912 fuel pumps. Early 912 engines did not face this problem of high fuel pressure and they did not have a return line - along comes a new 912 engine from rotax as a replacement for a time expired early one and bang, you install it, no return line, excess fuel pressure and mixtures all over the place ... and/or fuel flowing over the engine which is even more concerning - even if it doesn't burst into flames its damnably expensive stuff to be throwing away.

As for the other ones I listed I would only be worried if the oil tank was too far below the engine line - above the engine line does not cause actual problems but too low and you may get a pump on its way out not picking up oil ... and that helps take out your whole engine.

Pretty much everything else is not in my opinion when I came across them critical.

• Agree 1

CASA rep has known about the none compliance off rotax 912 motors for a number of years

raaas the same amount off time of none compliance for rotax 912 motor installation

in this time the number off accidents is great now when I asked about this non compliance told to fix plane forget about that you don't need it

have you ever looked into this problem I asked

no need to they turned the wrong tap off or didn't switch on lift pump

prove to me and flying members beyond doubt that this is in no way a cause off a couple off accidents

when the judges are not told and i feel that this systemic problem off none compliance as is being as wide spread as it is

it is off course not only one type off aircraft what is the valid reason none compliance to not do as the installation manual reads

is it litigation time any body got a spare half mill ops neil

pss kasper the none return valve is vital in a high wing aircraft as it will have syphon effect neil